Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #29
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadkar View Post
It definitely is disorienting/distracting at first but once you get used to it, there's no going back! It took me a few weeks to get completely used to it.
Took me about 5 min.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #30
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Indirect vision systems don’t compensate for poor direct vision. Yes, you could drive a car with no windows at all with cameras and monitors but I wouldn’t want to try it.

Not setting your mirrors correctly isn’t the issue.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:41 PM   #31
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
I've made the SAE suggested mirror adjustments and I'm loving it. As mentioned above, it's really cool to see cars pop up in your side view just as they leave the rear view. I can't believe I've been adjusting my mirrors incorrectly for years! This is a game changer in my book. I feel like I've made the transition easily too; I haven't had any trouble getting used to the new setup, although I am leaning a bit from side to side. However, that habit / instinct will subside soon I think.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:10 PM   #32
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadkar View Post
Hey friends,

Given that visibility is one of the biggest complaints against the Camaro, I thought that I'd share with you how to PROPERLY adjust your mirrors to eliminate blind spot. Blind spots occur only because most people adjust their mirrors incorrectly.

Check out this video below:

The demonstration of how it works at the end is super useful. It takes some practice to get the hang of but it's totally worth it!
No offense, but Where have you been?.... but Thanks for something "most people" learned as soon as cars came with two side mirrors. Did you know that a drivers side only side mirror was an option on my 67 goat? LOL.

It ( the visibility complaint ) is not about just behind you but in front and to the side. Like Try to see a center hung traffic light, if the first car at the light. Or look out the side windows to see the tops of trees or the clouds.

Someone slams the newer Camaro for the bunker vision of the car, here comes the just adjust your mirrors ..

I know your trying to help but the visibility complaint is about a 360 deg. view not just side mirror views.

But then again you may have helped some drivers that still pull up real close behind a car at a stop light or turn their wheels to the left, while waiting on traffic to make a left turn...or those that have never heard of the 2 or 3 second rule..

Sorry but I am one that hopes to see the Camaro 7 have a larger green house and lose the chop top. Would also like a hardtop version but I know that will not happen. Best regards.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #33
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
regardless of the "proper" way to adjust mirrors, I can't do it. I have to have a point of reference or I'll spend the whole time second guessing where my mirrors are actually pointing.

having said that, I don't have any issues with blind spots. all I have to do is lean forward or to the side a bit, and I can see everywhere I need to. It's a non-issue for me
Once they are set try to get in the habit of watching cars that are in your rear view mirror transition to your side view mirrors. Over time you’ll have more confidence in knowing what is or isn’t in your side view “blind spots”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWolf View Post
I dont understand why they cant make the screen display the rear view at all times and not just when you are backing up.

It would be soo helpful.
The camera mirrors in the 2019 can be always on if you want them to be. Driver controls whether the view is the camera or the regular mirror via the flip of a switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Don't give up, start consciously enjoying how cars in adjacent lanes ease into your side mirrors as they disappear from the rearview mirror. I used to feel the same for a few days---hard to unlearn those years of conditioned "comfort" seeing the quarter panel of your own car provides.
So true. Been setting my mirrors this way for 25 - 30 years. I am uncomfortable driving other people’s cars that are not set this way.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #34
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Once they are set try to get in the habit of watching cars that are in your rear view mirror transition to your side view mirrors. Over time you’ll have more confidence in knowing what is or isn’t in your side view “blind spots”.
There in lies the problem. "Over time" isn't something that's going to be a selling feature of the car. You shouldn't have to "build confidence". That sure won't show up in a test drive.

Without data, and GM has a history of ignoring why people DON'T purchase, it's tough to know how many people went into a dealership and sat in a Camaro and went, "holy crap! It's dark and I can't see out of it". Further, how many people took a test drive and discovered like I did when I really did want a Gen6 and went, "Wow! Except for over the hood the visibility is WAY worse than a Gen5". Or how many people simply don't take the time to "build confidence" during a test drive.

This is at least part of why the Camaro is selling worse than the other 3. The more people you can satisfy with a great car the better it will sell. And if, with the best performing car of the 3, and I don't believe it's all just pricing, you have automatically eliminated people that are turned of by the visibility, lack of trunk space and smallest rear seat. It's a much more focused car and it satisfies almost everyone that bought one because those folks didn't prioritize those 3 attributes and those are also the strongest voices that these 3 things aren't a problem, which it isn't for them. It just seems to be, without the data, that they are important to the people that ARE NOT buying the Camaro.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #35
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
There in lies the problem. "Over time" isn't something that's going to be a selling feature of the car. You shouldn't have to "build confidence". That sure won't show up in a test drive.

Without data, and GM has a history of ignoring why people DON'T purchase, it's tough to know how many people went into a dealership and sat in a Camaro and went, "holy crap! It's dark and I can't see out of it". Further, how many people took a test drive and discovered like I did when I really did want a Gen6 and went, "Wow! Except for over the hood the visibility is WAY worse than a Gen5". Or how many people simply don't take the time to "build confidence" during a test drive.

This is at least part of why the Camaro is selling worse than the other 3. The more people you can satisfy with a great car the better it will sell. And if, with the best performing car of the 3, and I don't believe it's all just pricing, you have automatically eliminated people that are turned of by the visibility, lack of trunk space and smallest rear seat. It's a much more focused car and it satisfies almost everyone that bought one because those folks didn't prioritize those 3 attributes and those are also the strongest voices that these 3 things aren't a problem, which it isn't for them. It just seems to be, without the data, that they are important to the people that ARE NOT buying the Camaro.
I’m not sure that I would give the advice that I gave as an input to someone trying to decide whether to buy a Camaro or not. I was suggesting that to a guy who owns a Camaro but is nervous about setting mirrors where you can’t see the side of your car in the mirror. That holds true no matter what car you drive.

Camaro visibility is what it is. For some people...a lot of people...it sucks and is no doubt a primary reason for some to not consider the car. For some people (I include myself in this group) even though I see less than I can see from other vehicles, I see everything I need to see. My biggest actual problem with Camaro visibility is my right front corner, especially when parking or leaving parking lots with border curbs. I have more difficulty than I would like judging where I might scrape a wheel or a splitter. Haven’t yet, but it’s an uneasy feeling. To be honest, my left A-pillar view in my SRX is more troubling to me than the left A-pillar view in the Camaro. A combination of the pillar thickness and angle. I have had pedestrians completely disappear from view momentarily in the SRX. I’m always able to see at least part of each person in the Camaro.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:15 PM   #36
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
Considering this car is a "Sports Car" I have no idea why people rank on it so much. I can give you a list of cars as large as this forum that have the same or worse visibility then this car.

END OF STORY!!!!!
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #37
Chevyfan4life
The Green Hornet

Drives: 2020 Rally Green 2SS 1LE
i just used this method on my Lexus and it work like a charm.Every easy to get used to and I wish this was shown to me in drivers Ed 34 years ago.
Chevyfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #38
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolbreezeNJ View Post
Considering this car is a "Sports Car" I have no idea why people rank on it so much. I can give you a list of cars as large as this forum that have the same or worse visibility then this car.

END OF STORY!!!!!
The list would be really small if you exclude super cars.

How about starting with the Camaros key and only competitors, Mustang and Challenger. Those are the benchmarks. It doesn’t even matter if the Corvette is worse.

It’s awesome if you like it. That’s great for you. But your being able to list a bunch of Ferrari’s and McClarens doesn’t excuse the Camaros visibility issues.

So factually, not end of story.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:06 PM   #39
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

How about starting with the Camaros key and only competitors, Mustang and Challenger. Those are the benchmarks. It doesn’t even matter if the Corvette is worse.

It’s awesome if you like it. That’s great for you. But your being able to list a bunch of Ferrari’s and McClarens doesn’t excuse the Camaros visibility issues.

You know probably better than any of us that engineering is all about tradeoffs. The one made with the 5th and 6th gen Camaro was leaning to the side of esthetics, and it did make the car unique in a way that speaks to many, but definitely not the majority of prospects (as for me, the exterior was one of main reasons I didn't even consider the Mustang).

I'm sure the 7th gen, if there will be one, is going to retrace a few steps on that "tradeoff trail", change the beltline and quarter windows/C pillar. The people who are willing to tolerate or don't think much of these limitations have probably already bought their Camaros

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #40
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Except at night any car with HID headlamps coming from either side is going to blind you.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #41
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:

I designed this car for you:
Attached Images

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #42
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolbreezeNJ View Post

END OF STORY!!!!!
Visibility in which direction? Everyone talks about the mirror adjustment. So, adjust the mirrors to see the stop light when the first car at a light...I'm all GM but the no visibility issue with the cop top, high door line Camaro can only be written off by the adjust your mirrors crowd.....

the two best comparable rides to the C6 , stang and chal, allow you to look out the side and front without the bunker view. A 350,000 thousand dollar red Ferrari not so much..

Cheers & best regards
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote