Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #1
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Fumoto oil drain valve opinions?

I bought one of these, the 107SX model, thinking the next oil change I would replace my factory oil pan bolt with it.

However when I came time to put it on, I threaded it and after messing with it for a couple minutes I decided that I didn't actually like it. Something about "the simplest solution is usually the best." I just felt like the regular old oil pan bolt is predictable, works well, so why change it?

Has this happened to anyone else?
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Drives: Blue 2016 Camaro
Except you need to unscrew and screw the bolt every time, which means that eventually you may strip it.

Something like the Fumoto makes oil changes so much easier, quicker, and stress free. Open the hose and pour in the new.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
i like the stahlbus valve better, had both. I have them on both cars , and both bikes.

Last edited by Glen e; 05-10-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
I bought one of these, the 107SX model, thinking the next oil change I would replace my factory oil pan bolt with it.

However when I came time to put it on, I threaded it and after messing with it for a couple minutes I decided that I didn't actually like it. Something about "the simplest solution is usually the best." I just felt like the regular old oil pan bolt is predictable, works well, so why change it?

Has this happened to anyone else?
I'll be putting on one tomorrow when I do my oil change.
I've used these valves since the 80's on my vehicles for the simplicity it provides.
And as mentioned, consistently wrenching it off and torquing it down will take a toll on the oil pan eventually...at least it did on my old '86 Toyota truck...changed the oil every 3k back then and at 150k miles I found a valve...not Fumoto though. It was a drain valve for something else that fit my oil pan and when I found out about Fumoto I never looked back. I eventually gave my truck to my brother when it had 250k miles and clean oil!
It may not be for everyone, but I do like it and it does serve a very good purpose.
However, with all that said, I will have to see how low it sits from the oil pan, since the Camaro is much lower than a truck!
Old 05-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #5
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I use a Fumoto F107. Makes oil changes very easy- just slide the lever over, no need to unscrew/screw anything. Also when I added a little too much oil it allowed me to easily drain a little off.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:17 PM   #6
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Oil drains out so nicely without it that not really an issue and besides, another failure point.

Some cars placement and panels in way make it almost required, but here, easyy.
Attached Images

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #7
sal11585

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 2ss Nightfall Gray
I just installed one also, i will let you know in 5000 miles how good it is lol. Cant see how it can be bad , i forgot which one i have its fumoto or straubus. I ordered both and dont remember which one i installed. But it looked safe to me and will def speed up my oil change
Full paint correction with cquartz finest ceramic coating
Whipple 2.9
ARH Long tube headers with High flow cats
1le sway bars F&R
BMR Upper and lower trailing arms
Hurst short throw shifter
sal11585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #8
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Drives: Blue 2016 Camaro
I have the Stahlbus now and its far superior to the Fumoto. All in all either option is a day and night difference from having to unscrew your drain bolt every time. I wouldn't have it any other way.