Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-11-2020, 12:18 AM   #1
8driann

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
What do I need for e85? Other valve train questions

Hello, its me again. So I went ahead and tore the engine apart and basically going to get everything valvetrain new with the heads resurfaced as well as a new oil pump. I have two questions. Should I pick up the melling high volume oil pump for my ls3 and are there any benefits or trade offs compared to a stock one (only have headers so far)? And my second question, do I need the flex fuel kit to run e85 or do I need upgraded fuel lines and fuel pump and what not other than a tune? And one more thing, i want to replace the timing chain, just to be on the safe side, and I keep seeing timing chain tensioners or timing chain guides and some people chose one over the other. What do yall recommend? I will open up the timing chain cover tomorrow so I dont know what my car has. Maybe anything else to replace to be on the safe side and not have the ticking come back? Sorry for flooding you guys with questions but your opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks.
8driann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:45 AM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
So for E85; you’ll need a E85 sensor, ZL1 injectors, ZL1 fuel pump, and ZL1 fuel pump control module an of course a tune. You can find a “Continental” sensor all over eBay, harness from Gen5Diy, and just need to get the others from Rock Auto.

Timing chain; find a C5.R timing chain possibly from Katech.

Timing Chain Tensioner; LS2 style dog bone. Improved racing, GPI, Texas Speed, Katech.

Oil pump; depends on use of car, Katech recommended a HP pump for road course racing, so I’d ask Zach from the sponsor build section.

Also while you doing pump and chain go to Improvedrading.com and get the oil pump pick up support clamp.
http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pu...amp-p-642.html

So don’t forget a new front seal and timing chain cover gasket.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
you dont need a ZL1 fpcm anymore like in the early 5th gen days. A stock ss one will be fine. The tuner will flash the stock one with zl1 parameters when tunning for e85

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:41 PM   #4
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
But there’s no reason to do it by itself. There are essentially no gains from e85 on a stock 5th gen.
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I went with E85 for more reasons than just for power. I am running a stock SS fuel pump and 70lb injectors. No issues. Of course I have a flex fuel sensor installed. Which you need, unless you will strictly use e85, then you just tune for that fuel.

I am running the GMPP timing chain. It's cheaper and a stout piece made for racing. I am using an Ls2 tensioner. It is more noisy as it doesn't apply direct pressure on the chain. But you won't be able to tell.

As for oil pumps. I would definitely replace while your in there. You can use a hi pressure/volume of you want. A lot of that depends on your build. If your staying with a basic ls3, just get the melling factory replacement. If you plan on running hard and keeping the RPMs high. Get a hi pressure/volume pump. That will help against oil cavitation at high RPMs.

Get new lifters if you haven't already. The GMPP racing lifters are great for the money. Look exactly like Johnsons but cheaper.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #6
JLGO

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS convertible L99
E85 on all motors hardly does anything.
Corsa CAI w/Donalson Power Filter, BBK 1 7/8 headers, MF resonator, custom exhaust with Legato mufflers, mildly ported heads, TSP VVT 3.2 cam (whole package), 3.91 1LE gears, Circle D 3200 stall torque converter, B&M power cooler tranny cooler. Tuned by Casey TSP's tuner. 1/4 12.16 117mph with stock tires at 20 psi.
JLGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:25 AM   #7
8driann

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
So for E85; you’ll need a E85 sensor, ZL1 injectors, ZL1 fuel pump, and ZL1 fuel pump control module an of course a tune. You can find a “Continental” sensor all over eBay, harness from Gen5Diy, and just need to get the others from Rock Auto.

Timing chain; find a C5.R timing chain possibly from Katech.

Timing Chain Tensioner; LS2 style dog bone. Improved racing, GPI, Texas Speed, Katech.

Oil pump; depends on use of car, Katech recommended a HP pump for road course racing, so I’d ask Zach from the sponsor build section.

Also while you doing pump and chain go to Improvedrading.com and get the oil pump pick up support clamp.
http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pu...amp-p-642.html

So don’t forget a new front seal and timing chain cover gasket.
Thanks for the recommendations. Definitely will be getting that clamp there and for sure new seals.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:26 AM   #8
8driann

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
you dont need a ZL1 fpcm anymore like in the early 5th gen days. A stock ss one will be fine. The tuner will flash the stock one with zl1 parameters when tunning for e85

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Got it thanks
Old 09-12-2020, 12:26 AM   #9
8driann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmn View Post
But there’s no reason to do it by itself. There are essentially no gains from e85 on a stock 5th gen.
I just want to get it while Im in the engine because I will be trying to get full bolt ons.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:31 AM   #10
8driann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
I went with E85 for more reasons than just for power. I am running a stock SS fuel pump and 70lb injectors. No issues. Of course I have a flex fuel sensor installed. Which you need, unless you will strictly use e85, then you just tune for that fuel.

I am running the GMPP timing chain. It's cheaper and a stout piece made for racing. I am using an Ls2 tensioner. It is more noisy as it doesn't apply direct pressure on the chain. But you won't be able to tell.

As for oil pumps. I would definitely replace while your in there. You can use a hi pressure/volume of you want. A lot of that depends on your build. If your staying with a basic ls3, just get the melling factory replacement. If you plan on running hard and keeping the RPMs high. Get a hi pressure/volume pump. That will help against oil cavitation at high RPMs.

Get new lifters if you haven't already. The GMPP racing lifters are great for the money. Look exactly like Johnsons but cheaper.
So Im a 19 y/old kid who's got a lot of adrenaline. I wouldn't necessarily say its always going to be at high RPM's or the track, but definitely here and there. So I will for sure get the LS2 tensioner, but for the timing chain, do you think I can get away with the autozone one? My friend lets me use his discount and also those come with warranty, but do you think it will be good down the line if Im trying to go fbo? Also, I was looking into the melling high volume oil pump and as for the lifters, I already picked up some tsp LS7 roller lifters. So what kind of injectors do you recommend for e85? And I can keep my same fuel pump? Thanks for the advice
Old 09-12-2020, 12:32 AM   #11
8driann

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGO View Post
E85 on all motors hardly does anything.
I will be going fbo soon.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:11 AM   #12
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
If you wanna do it right don’t skimp on parts, if it was a daily driver an never really pushed the Autozone chain might be ok depending on the brand. An for no more then what you’ll be doing a ZL1 set of injectors will do what you want.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #13
8driann

Quote:
If you wanna do it right don’t skimp on parts, if it was a daily driver an never really pushed the Autozone chain might be ok depending on the brand. An for no more then what you’ll be doing a ZL1 set of injectors will do what you want.

No, I think I’ll just look into the C5r chain, because I know for sure this car is not going to be a garage queen or babied lol. And yeah you’re right, I will just get the zl1 injectors, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2020, 06:35 PM   #14
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8driann View Post
No, I think I’ll just look into the C5r chain, because I know for sure this car is not going to be a garage queen or babied lol. And yeah you’re right, I will just get the zl1 injectors, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the stock SS fuel and 70lb deatschwerks injectors. I am at 71% duty cycle. Zl1 injectors would be maxed out already.

As for the chain. Sure an auto part store one will work. Just get a quality brand with a warranty. Most chains are made by the same manufacturers anyways. I got my GMPP chain for around $55. Just remember that the ls2 dogbone tensioner does not apply tension to the chain, it simply keeps it from slapping and breaking. The ls3 one actually applies tension. It works fine, but can break and fall apart. After 35,xxx miles of spirited driving my 2010 chain and tensioner were fine. It had wear marks but thats normal.

To answer your other question. The high volume oil pump will be fine.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e85, headers, lifters, ticking, tune