Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #1
2015FLCamaroSS

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS
2015 Camaro SS L99 - Cam upgrade - Tuning Problems

After the engine upgrades listed below I took the car to a local tuner and he was unable to adequately tune leaving me with the following disappointments.
- ~800 RPM rough idle
- Pulling at stop
- Bucking at 1000-1100 RPM's in drive and sport mode
- MPH hangs at 17-42 often
- Hesitation out of the hole at full pedal
- Heavy drone in a large range of speeds since the upgrade and tune
- Heavy fuel smell exiting the exhaust

2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS
- automatic 6.2L L99
- 68,000 miles
Recent July 2020 upgrades include:
- TSP Texas Speed; headers, high flow cats, 3" pipes, and mufflers.
- BTR Brian Tooley Racing - L99 Stage II VVT Camshaft;
ADV DUR: INT 275., EXH 291
Dur @ .050: INT 225, EXH 238 LOBE SEP: 113.0
VALVE LIFT: INT .612, EXH .586
- BTR Dual Platnum LS Spring Kit .660" Lift
- BTR Chromoly One Piece Pushrods; 7.400" Long, 5/16" Diameter, .080" Wall
- BTR GM LS Rocker Arm Runion Upgrade
- COMP CAMS Cam Phaser Limiter - GM L99
- LS7 Hydralic Roller Lifters & Trays
- ACDelco 6.2 Valley Cover
- Melling M295 Oil Pump
- NGK BR6 Spark Plugs
- Denso Front O2 Sensors
- Plus all gaskets, o-rings, bolts replaced (and torque specs performed)

I want to make sure that the engine is set up properly as you would expect prior to tuning again with a new tuner therefore could you answer some other questions for me?
Is there anything listed in the upgrade provided that you have questions or comments?
What vacuum line (with catch can) routing do you recommend?
Drivers side valve cover outlet
Passenger valve cover outlet
Valley cover outlet
Intake manifold behind the throttle body
Cold air intake tube
Are NGK Tr6 Spark Plugs what you would recommend?
Is the Melling M295 Oil Pump what you would recommend?
Do you need specialized experience tuning L99 engines (with DOD Delete and VVT)?
How long would the predicted tuning time be for this car/engine?
What RPM should this idle be?

Thanks for you help.
2015FLCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:32 PM   #2
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
what converter?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #3
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
that cam will need a looser than stock converter to act right. the stock converter is way too tight. car should be able to idld at 800. my cam us a 232/244 and idles at just over 800ish

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:38 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
  • With the L99 the driver side valve cover is preferred as the L99 has a superior PCV system (supposedly). But you can also use the valley cover if needed. I would have to check my routing to give you the full setup, but I am sure someone else here will remember.

• My previous tuner recommended the NGK TR6IX (Iridium) as they are one step colder than stock plugs. I have had great luck with them gapped at .032.

• I am running the Melling 10296 HV pump. I think the M295 is basically an OEM equivalent.

• You really want a tuner that has vast experience with VVT engines. Plenty of tuners will tell you to dump the VVT as it has 'no benefits', but that is BS. Lose those tuners and find someone that is comfortable with VVT and has experience tuning VVT setups. There are quite a few good ones out there. The ones that won't tune VVT are just lazy and too stuck in their old ways to learn new technology, imo.

• I don't know about your cam, but I idle at 800ish. My cam is high lift, but moderate duration (similar to yours), so it's not too nasty.

• Your cam will definitely 'push' a bit at traffic lights or at a stop. A higher rated stall convertor would take care of that, along with other benefits.

• The bucking, hesitation, and hanging RPM are a result of your tuner. That is an off the shelf cam that many other people run without issue, when properly tuned.

• I will leave your other questions for other members.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
You need a better tuner and looser converter, if it is still stock.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
JLGO

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS convertible L99
1st, check for any vacuum leaks (bucking and poor accelaration). 2nd, you may need a torque converter. 3rd, if it was Geof that did the tune after the install, he does not like tuning the VVT system and will not get the tuning tables for your cam. If it was Geof that did the tune he tume the timing at 8 and not more leaving the car with about 400whp.

I had the install and tune done by Geof almost 3 years ago. The install was on point but everything else was ok. My tune was crappy the timing was set at 8 and the car had 421whp, also the car had the intake tube lose a little on the throttle. My timing is now set at 25 and no more with my VVT3.2 cammed Gen5 vert and can be daily deiven with little to no bucking with my 3200stall converter. The smell of fuel comes with territory if you have no meows and there isn't enough change to change the fuel tables unless you are running boost. But anyways, after checking everything dump the previous tuner and bite the bullet. If I was you I would buy the HP tuner software and 3 credits and have the car tune remotely since there aren't that many tuners that can tune cars with VVT 6.2 camaros in our area. Most tuners here will tell you to delete the VVT/DOD system entirely, because they can not really tune it, will lie and say that the car will make more horsepower with the VVT delete with no foundation. Some will try to tune it and use your car as a lab rat. I am sure that there maybe someone far away from Orlando that can help you tune it right. And go and put a converter with a cooler.
JLGO is offline   Reply With Quote