Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-21-2020, 09:15 PM   #1
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Used Car Selection Seems Bad - Will it improve?

Hi, all.

Mods/admins: if there is a more appropriate location for this question, please move.

I am looking for a used Camaro with what is either the holy grail of options or this buildout has been all snapped up while the auctions are shut down.

2SS, 6MT, Convertible, MRC, Dual-Mode Exhaust (NPP). And NOT black. I had found ONE car earlier in the week and it had been sold three days earlier but the shady dealer never took down the listing.

Is there nothing out there with this seemingly simple option combo at all? Or, is that actually a very popular combo and there's no current availability because the auctions are shut down and cars are just sitting waiting to trade dealers?

What does everyone think? Am I chasing a Unicorn, or will things improve quite a bit when the auctions come back?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I just checked the Manheim auction site. There are only two listings nationwide for gen 6 Camaro SS convertibles. There are usually a dozen or so. I think listings have been removed for lack of activity. The cars are probably still out there and will become available again when things pick up. Not suggesting that you can buy from Manheim, but that may give an indication of what's going on.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:42 AM   #3
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
I just checked the Manheim auction site. There are only two listings nationwide for gen 6 Camaro SS convertibles. There are usually a dozen or so. I think listings have been removed for lack of activity. The cars are probably still out there and will become available again when things pick up. Not suggesting that you can buy from Manheim, but that may give an indication of what's going on.
Honestly, I wouldn't expect the selection to be terrible like this... If the cars can't sell at auction, I would think the dealerships would be holding them longer in inventory and trying to sell them directly. Lack of listings at auction -seems- to confirm my thinking that the dealers are keeping them on the lots.

I'm genuinely wondering if the buildout that I'm looking for is genuinely uncommon. I -really- don't want an automatic.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:04 AM   #4
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Any time you are looking for a used car with more than a couple of specific options it starts to become really hard to find. Then you pile on top the current situation and that people aren't buying cars, so inventories aren't getting refreshed. You're either going to have to make compromises on the options or be really patient.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:09 AM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
Any time you are looking for a used car with more than a couple of specific options it starts to become really hard to find. Then you pile on top the current situation and that people aren't buying cars, so inventories aren't getting refreshed. You're either going to have to make compromises on the options or be really patient.
If I drop the 6MT requirement, there are a bunch of cars that are out there to choose from. If I drop the MRC, I have a handful of options.

It just doesn't seem that there are many convertible, 6MT, 2SS cars out there that have both NPP and MRC (and MRC is harder to find than I would have thought in general).

I have one that's "close" in options that's also very close in proximity. But, I don't want the color. :(

Seems that the list of compromises may end up being as long as the list of options. lol
Old 05-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #6
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
There aren't that many convertibles period....

Coupes are more in demand, IF you want to call the low number of units sold per year "demand"
Old 05-22-2020, 09:53 AM   #7
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
There aren't that many convertibles period....

Coupes are more in demand, IF you want to call the low number of units sold per year "demand"
This.

Convertible with specific options is very difficult. Coupe will have better luck.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #8
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Manual convertibles are probably already pretty rare. Now you want other options? Yep, it's gonna be difficult. IIRC Mustangs don't even offer a manual convertible combination. That should give you an idea of the demand on this combo.

I got very lucky with my 2SS 1LE since it has everything I want. When I was shopping for my C7, I ended up making compromise with the interior and willing to buy a 2LT(not that big of a difference from 3LT). As others said, either be patient or make compromises on things.

As for colour, you can always wrap the car in whatever colour you want it in if you can get a good enough deal on the car.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Thanks, guys.

I guess I will have to compromise on some items, but 2SS, 6MT, and convertible are non-negotiable. Seems my most likely compromise will be color and/or no MRC as everything else is out there in the sort of combo that I want.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #10
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Manual convertibles are probably already pretty rare. Now you want other options? Yep, it's gonna be difficult. IIRC Mustangs don't even offer a manual convertible combination. That should give you an idea of the demand on this combo.

I got very lucky with my 2SS 1LE since it has everything I want. When I was shopping for my C7, I ended up making compromise with the interior and willing to buy a 2LT(not that big of a difference from 3LT). As others said, either be patient or make compromises on things.

As for colour, you can always wrap the car in whatever colour you want it in if you can get a good enough deal on the car.
Wraps are interesting and such, but I'm not sure if it's what I would want in the long run. There are a couple of new '20 Camaros in my area that are equipped nicely, including the Adrenaline Red / Summit White combo that I would love... But... They have additional options like the Recaro buckets and the microfiber-wrapped wheels that I have zero interest in. Plus, the dealers charge STUPID fees in CT claiming that they are required to charge them by the state. It's just too much headache to fight with them over their outrageous add-on costs for zero value (almost $900).

Plus... If the total deal is valued over $50k, you pay a huge increase in sales tax because they impose luxury tax and it's on the entire amount not just the amount over $50k.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #11
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Wraps are interesting and such, but I'm not sure if it's what I would want in the long run. There are a couple of new '20 Camaros in my area that are equipped nicely, including the Adrenaline Red / Summit White combo that I would love... But... They have additional options like the Recaro buckets and the microfiber-wrapped wheels that I have zero interest in. Plus, the dealers charge STUPID fees in CT claiming that they are required to charge them by the state. It's just too much headache to fight with them over their outrageous add-on costs for zero value (almost $900).

Plus... If the total deal is valued over $50k, you pay a huge increase in sales tax because they impose luxury tax and it's on the entire amount not just the amount over $50k.
I have an SS 1LE and I have the Recaro as well as the suede steering wheel. The Recaros are definitely nice, the steering wheel is pretty good too. I just got my new driving gloves(old ones were in the C7 when it flooded) so the wear shouldn't be a problem.

And just remember you are buying a sports car in a pandemic and an economic downturn. Be persistent, patient but also reasonable, and I can't see why any dealer in their right mind wouldn't budge to make a deal with you. I got $CAN 13k off of MSRP on mine since it's a 19 model, while someone else in Canada said they got $CAN 7k off of MSRP on a 2020 SS 1LE. Lots of deals to be had if you are willing to play the game.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I have an SS 1LE and I have the Recaro as well as the suede steering wheel. The Recaros are definitely nice, the steering wheel is pretty good too. I just got my new driving gloves(old ones were in the C7 when it flooded) so the wear shouldn't be a problem.

And just remember you are buying a sports car in a pandemic and an economic downturn. Be persistent, patient but also reasonable, and I can't see why any dealer in their right mind wouldn't budge to make a deal with you. I got $CAN 13k off of MSRP on mine since it's a 19 model, while someone else in Canada said they got $CAN 7k off of MSRP on a 2020 SS 1LE. Lots of deals to be had if you are willing to play the game.
Yes, I completely follow the logic of "I have cash in hand when your customer base has evaporated" in terms of getting them to move. Until/unless GM backs the larger discounts, though, it is sometimes tough to get the great deals because the dealers can't make it up in back-end cash due to volume attainment from hold-backs.

For me, I don't want the Recaro's or the suede because I want this car to be outfitted more for general comfort (which is why I am chasing MRC). It will never be on a track or 'raced' in any form. It really won't even be driven all that hard in the grand scheme.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:37 PM   #13
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I had a 2016 and '17 2SS/A8, NPP but no MRC. My '19 SS/1LE/ has M6 and both NPP and MRC because of the 1LE package. I don't track my car and in regular driving really can't tell much difference in having MRC and not, and I have a bad lower back and neither suspension ever bothered my back. Over the last 4 years I've driven each of them down to Florida to visit friends and family and never an issue with comfort. I'm sure I'd notice the difference on a road course but not too much in a daily setting here in NC. I've pushed my cars on the back twisty roads around here and all handle the turns just fine. Maybe it would make more difference driving up in the NE where you have to deal with much rougher roads due to the effects of wintry conditions, etc....

Last edited by nancygrl; 05-22-2020 at 12:48 PM.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #14
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
I had a 2016 and '17 2SS/A8, NPP but no MRC. My '19 SS/1LE/M6 and both NPP and MRC because of the 1LE package. I don't track my car and in regular driving really can't tell much difference in having MRC and not. I'm sure I'd notice the difference on a road course but not too much in a daily setting. Just MHO.
Thanks for sharing. My focus for MRC is all about softening the ride on the longer drives. While I will predominantly drive within about 20 miles of home, there will be longer trips of longer duration with secondary roads "and worse." It's on those drives where I would love to be able to flip it into Touring mode and just enjoy the ride (although, the longer the ride, the more likely I will be on the highway).