Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #15
JLGO

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS convertible L99
My 1st tuner suck. I had to get it retuned by TSPs mailordertuner. I was able to go faster in the 1/4. When from a 12.83 @113mph to 12.16 @117mph. Lol. The 1st tuner had the advance timing set at 8 and only made 421whp from 365whp. Now my timing is set at 25 with with a new tune and my car is quicker/faster.

Stick with the VVT, you do not need to downgrade. There is a reason why the L99 makes 400hp and 410tq with an ugly cam and 4 DOD lifters and the VVT is used on their LT V8 engines.
Corsa CAI w/Donalson Power Filter, BBK 1 7/8 headers, MF resonator, custom exhaust with Legato mufflers, mildly ported heads, TSP VVT 3.2 cam (whole package), 3.91 1LE gears, Circle D 3200 stall torque converter, B&M power cooler tranny cooler. Tuned by Casey TSP's tuner. 1/4 12.16 117mph with stock tires at 20 psi.

Last edited by JLGO; 09-07-2020 at 05:01 PM.
JLGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #16
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Another note of info for you, when you do decide to get a TQ converter depending on what HP range you will be making at the tires you won't need a triple disc, as said they are quite expensive and as I have talked with Chris at Circle D, over kill for most street cars. At the moment I have a Precision 3200 stall with the TSP Stage 3 cam and am at 475rwhp and 486rwtq and it has been fine for 2 years except that my cam wants more stall, so I have a Circle D 5C 4000-4200 sitting here waiting to be installed. And yes as mentioned it took me about 4 weeks to get mine as they do build them to your car and cam specs.When you order they will ask for all that info. I ordered mine thru Chris at Circle D over the phone, great guy to talk with. Good luck with your build sir.
Spot on. Most can get by with a single disc. My build goal is up there and she's gonna need a triple for what's planned.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #17
Cameron The Camaro

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
So I've gone ahead and taken into account everyone's input (which was very helpful as always) and contacted GPI about a cam kit. They also recommended the VVT SS1 cam, which would work fine with the stock converter. They also recommended an oil pump as well, so I tossed that in the cart.

LINK - https://gwatneyperformance.com/cart-share/kGQcb/ref/2/

Also reached out to Circle D, and they confirmed what was mentioned earlier in the post prior. I will be getting an upgraded converter later down the road from them nevertheless as they were abundantly helpful.

Let me know what you guys think of the cart (in case I missed anything/ in case you recommend anything else).

Last but not least, I reached out to my tuner at Injection Connection in PA and he said he was very comfortable with VVT tunes. Looking to get working on the car once the parts start coming in and I will definitely keep updates rolling for those interested.

"The most valuable thing a man can spend is his time." .. and money on an ever-growing list of mods to my Camaro.
Cameron The Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:07 PM   #18
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

I'm surprised they recommend an oil pump. L99 pumps are very stout and high volume stock. If you had an LS3 pump which has known failures, I could understand. But follow what they say. Different builders and vendors have different suggestions very often.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:02 PM   #19
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Yep, those GPI boys know their stuff for sure. I just wish it wasn't going to be such a expense for me to get up there, or I would take my Camaro to them for a"correct" tune.!
Old 09-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #20
Cameron The Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
I'm surprised they recommend an oil pump. L99 pumps are very stout and high volume stock. If you had an LS3 pump which has known failures, I could understand. But follow what they say. Different builders and vendors have different suggestions very often.
My exact thoughts actually, but as you said I didn't question it as they definitely know their stuff.

"The most valuable thing a man can spend is his time." .. and money on an ever-growing list of mods to my Camaro.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #21
JLGO

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS convertible L99
It is always good to changed it while one is in there. Cheap insurance.
Corsa CAI w/Donalson Power Filter, BBK 1 7/8 headers, MF resonator, custom exhaust with Legato mufflers, mildly ported heads, TSP VVT 3.2 cam (whole package), 3.91 1LE gears, Circle D 3200 stall torque converter, B&M power cooler tranny cooler. Tuned by Casey TSP's tuner. 1/4 12.16 117mph with stock tires at 20 psi.
JLGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #22
SuperChuck

Drives: 2013 1SS BlueRay Metallic
Hey man so I know this is a quick shrug off. And first off gratz to ya getting to upgrade. I know I'm the needle in the haystack but I choose this package from GPI. Had them install and dyno tune this SS1 VVT cam and 9 months later I had the same problem as you. Lifter collapsed taking out my cam aswell. Although everything was still under their warranty they offered no help. The best they could do was the same package 10% above cost. During the tear down the guy I'm having do the work now found out it was still a factory AFM lifter. Idk maybe I'm the dummy here but just erked me that for all that money and something I'm sure was included in the package there was stock lifters still in my car.
SuperChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #23
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChuck View Post
Hey man so I know this is a quick shrug off. And first off gratz to ya getting to upgrade. I know I'm the needle in the haystack but I choose this package from GPI. Had them install and dyno tune this SS1 VVT cam and 9 months later I had the same problem as you. Lifter collapsed taking out my cam aswell. Although everything was still under their warranty they offered no help. The best they could do was the same package 10% above cost. During the tear down the guy I'm having do the work now found out it was still a factory AFM lifter. Idk maybe I'm the dummy here but just erked me that for all that money and something I'm sure was included in the package there was stock lifters still in my car.

Most folks that keep vvt delete the dod for this exact reason .
Well to change the cam you don’t have to pull the heads . So that would of been more money to do, it’s a hit and miss with them lifters . If it were me tho I would of deleted the dod thru the tune . It’s when the collapse and don’t come back is usually how it happens . Also lifters are a separate part .
Risingson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #24
SuperChuck

Drives: 2013 1SS BlueRay Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson05 View Post
Most folks that keep vvt delete the dod for this exact reason .
Well to change the cam you don’t have to pull the heads . So that would of been more money to do, it’s a hit and miss with them lifters . If it were me tho I would of deleted the dod thru the tune . It’s when the collapse and don’t come back is usually how it happens . Also lifters are a separate part .
I gotcha man. It was supposed to have been done in the tune AFM/DOD delete. And also I understand lifters are separate but was also to have been included in the package. I didn't just buy a cam swap. Was a package for AFM/DOD delete lifters etc. I mean $4666 for a cam,install and dyno seems pretty rough.
SuperChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:48 AM   #25
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Lifters are not included in the kit unless you specify them to be. Some people gamble and don't change them because you have to remove the heads. Some people actually remove the heads but only change the afm lifters. The rest of us change them all.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:49 AM   #26
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Btw-how to I add a parts list at the bottom of my signature? I must be missing something lol.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #27
Cameron The Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChuck View Post
I gotcha man. It was supposed to have been done in the tune AFM/DOD delete. And also I understand lifters are separate but was also to have been included in the package. I didn't just buy a cam swap. Was a package for AFM/DOD delete lifters etc. I mean $4666 for a cam,install and dyno seems pretty rough.
Well first thing I'd question is if you go to the link (posted above) and click the cart, you can click on the kit and pick a lifter you wish to have installed. Do you know what lifters you went with? They offer Chevy Performance - set of 8 hydraulic roller lifter, Cam motion set of 16 OEM hydraulic roller lifters, Chevy performance set of 16 OEM hydraulic roller lifters, Chevy performance racing hydraulic roller lifters, and Johnson set of 16 drop in slow leakdown lifters. They're tiered on the website as good, better, and best. Again, not sure if this was offered when you had your cam package purchased thru them, but they're LS7 lifters which are pretty durable.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #28
Cameron The Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Btw-how to I add a parts list at the bottom of my signature? I must be missing something lol.
If you click on your profile (top right should say Welcome, TheFlyingBananaSS), then go to customize profile (upper right side in gray/whitish lettering), and then select "Edit Signature" (bold option on left), then you can add your build there.