Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #29
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
If I had to guess as to why it seems the verts have more owners at only a few years old is that people think they want a convertible but then after having one decide they either don't like convertibles, cant get away with the useless trunks or don't drop the top enough to justify having a convertible
Yeah, maybe. For me, this is a pure weekend car and will only come out when the weather permits a dropped top. Since that's -my- view on its use, it's hard to have any idea what causes others to walk away after only a short period of ownership.

What I was wondering (in part) was whether there were enough quirks or issues where 'vert owners were dropping them in favor of coupes because of the issues. That certainly does NOT seem to be the case.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #30
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockySS View Post
Love my 2016. Only issues I have had were the Information Display crapped out, and Onstar stopped working. Car has 22,500 miles on it. I replaced a "machine Interface Module" in the Radio to fix the display, Onstar needs a new Control Interface Module, which I refuse to replace - I am having no luck getting chevy to replace it because it is out of warrenty. Otherwise, the car is rock solid
Based on your posted info, you're "close by". If you're open to a bit more direct Q&A, send me a PM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Gotcha, I had to wait 5 years to buy mine as every used 6 speed manual I drove had either transmission, clutch, or differential issues which I attributed to inexperienced previous owners abusing the cars. I must have driven close to 30 used camaros and vettes, ALL with issues. Decided to take the plunge on a new 2020 LT1 v8 coupe model 6 speed. Depreciation will kill me but at least the mechanicals are new and wont be destroyed by some rookie manual driver. Anyway, best of luck to you on the purchase. Pay close attention to 1-2 and 2-3 shift feel and noises as well as clutch and diff noises.
Out of curiosity... what sort of tranny issues did you seemingly find? The transmission in this car is supposed to be pretty stout and should hold up really well (unless abused, I get that...).
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:07 PM   #31
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
convertibles are for people who like to wear sunscreen while driving or enjoy tan lines / sun burns.

as for 2016's...
2016's dont have locked TCM's ...so they have that going for them. The 8" displays did have an unusually frequent failure rate that was later resolved. Otherwise, there's probably not much else that is specific to a 2016 that you wont have issues with in any sports car that is a given age. Unless you know for a fact, just assume the previous owner drove it like they stole it.

If you have a failed display (black but backlight and touch screen works), you can swap it out with any 2017 8" display and it'll work fine. unfortunately, the GM parts stores online and distributors (most of which are just dealerships service depts) will not sell you a new one. They will demand you go in to a dealer. Ebay is your friend.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #32
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Based on your posted info, you're "close by". If you're open to a bit more direct Q&A, send me a PM?

Out of curiosity... what sort of tranny issues did you seemingly find? The transmission in this car is supposed to be pretty stout and should hold up really well (unless abused, I get that...).
I've been in the used manual muscle/sports scene for over 20 years now. The one thing I noticed in my area was as time went on, finding a used example in acceptable mechanical condition was becoming increasingly difficult. My area is plagued with dense bumper to bumper traffic and people who think they can drive stick because they rarely stall, lol. Needless to say, I've encounter all sorts of shifter fork, bashed synchro, 1-2 grind, 2-3 grind, gears popping themselves into neutral, burnt sticky, glazed clutch, clutch shudder, diff whine, diff thumping or a combination thereof in over 90% of the used vehicles I have driven and considered for purchase. As robust as the tremec 6060 is on these cars, it doesn't take much for a buffoon who thinks he knows how to drive manual to quickly cause significant and permanent drivetrain issues. One of the last local burnouts I saw on a manual car the tires weren't spinning at all, but the smoke show coming from between the rear main seal and the transmission was truly impressive...

Last edited by LT1ornothing; 05-26-2020 at 05:44 PM.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:37 PM   #33
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
FWIW, I bought a 2016 2SS vert M6 loaded brand-new in 2016, and kill myself for selling it. I'm already on the search for an exact replacement, and a manual v8 droptop is surprisingly hard to find, at least on the west coast. I'd buy the exact car again in a heartbeat.
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote