Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-08-2020, 06:49 PM   #1
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
2019 Q4 Camaro sales growth

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/01...arter-2019-q4/

Found this a little surprising because it always seems like the discussion surrounds falling sales. Nice to see things go the other direction. How is the 20% Mustang sales increase explained? The Japanese cars are taking a major hit, but i think some of that can be explained by the oldness of the 370z and brz/86.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:16 PM   #2
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
170 units is far from growth.......but I love your optimism
Old 01-09-2020, 02:21 AM   #3
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
I think it's pretty funny that people want to make it sound like a sportscar that sells about 50k units in the US alone is a failure.

I guess Mustang sales saw an increase through marketing with launching the new GT500 and the Ford vs Ferrari movie
Old 01-09-2020, 06:22 AM   #4
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
Optimistic or not, get out here an drive them Camaro's in the twisty's with Me!
Old 01-09-2020, 07:04 AM   #5
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
I think it's pretty funny that people want to make it sound like a sportscar that sells about 50k units in the US alone is a failure.

I guess Mustang sales saw an increase through marketing with launching the new GT500 and the Ford vs Ferrari movie
Success or failure really depends upon GM's low water mark for sales.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #6
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
All three are down for the year

Since 2015, sales have fallen for each...
37.7% Camaro
40.8% Mustang
8.1% Challenger

Total segment is down 31.8%
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #7
Drews

Drives: '02 Camaro SS, '69 Z/28 , '20 ZL1
WOW hotlap! Thats very interesting... great job. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #8
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
This concerns me as much as declining Camaro sales. A few years ago i remember reading several articles saying something like "boomers aging out of sport cars will depress sales". Is that still the consensus? It seems now, more are saying it's suvs, mpgs... etc.

hotlap, thanks for the analysis!
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #9
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
kind of odd that the oldest,but largest interior design (challenger) is holding its own pretty much.at 62 im a boomer and you wouldnt catch me owning an SUV.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #10
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
People in general that I know and chat with seem to really like the Challengers over Mustangs and Camaros. When I ask why they say they like the bulky size and the big back seat, way better interior and straight line acceleration. Handling seems to not be a concern. It matches the direction people are going in for bigger and the SUV's. Any new cars I see in my work parking lot- which is HUGE- are big SUV's, trucks and Challengers. So it seems most that are looking for a "sports" car go the Challenger/Charger route, which supports the sales charts. I'll never go that route (except for a truck maybe in the future). I'll even go smaller- Miata before I go Challenger or Charger. Although I plan on keeping my Camaro a long time.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #11
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
People in general that I know and chat with seem to really like the Challengers over Mustangs and Camaros. When I ask why they say they like the bulky size and the big back seat, way better interior and straight line acceleration. Handling seems to not be a concern. It matches the direction people are going in for bigger and the SUV's. Any new cars I see in my work parking lot- which is HUGE- are big SUV's, trucks and Challengers. So it seems most that are looking for a "sports" car go the Challenger/Charger route, which supports the sales charts. I'll never go that route (except for a truck maybe in the future). I'll even go smaller- Miata before I go Challenger or Charger. Although I plan on keeping my Camaro a long time.
The interior of the Challenger doesn't scream, "sporty" to me. It's basically a large sedan interior and not very passionately designed.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #12
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
All three are down for the year

Since 2015, sales have fallen for each...
37.7% Camaro
40.8% Mustang
8.1% Challenger

That is the scary part that the whole segment is down. It's not a good trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Even in my group of friends who are car people, handling is about the last thing any of them but a few care about. If a car handles great that's just an added plus. The few that do care about handling have used Corvettes lol

The questions that always get asked are: how much horsepower and how fast is it. Rarely was it ever asked how it handles or what kind of lap times does it do or how good is at an auto cross
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #13
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Coke Gets its Chevy doesn't.

Coke has been around for over 130 years yet their ads are as strong as ever. They sell product. They get it. Its Marketing 101. Advertise advertise advertise. I have haven't seen Chevy camaro ad in years. And the The GM ads I have seen suck. No wonder GM is struggling. Instead of going back to basics they want to abandon a product that is actually quite good and shove down our throats electric cars what few people want.

Take note GM....

http://newsstand7.com/2019/08/14/how...und-the-world/

Last edited by MackSteelPrivateEye; 01-09-2020 at 04:47 PM.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:57 PM   #14
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Coke has been around for over 130 years yet their ads are as strong as ever. They sell product. They get it. Its Marketing 101. Advertise advertise advertise. I have haven't seen Chevy camaro ad in years. And the The GM ads I have seen suck. No wonder GM is struggling. Instead of going back to basics they want to abandon a product that is actually quite good and shove down our throats electric cars what few people want.

Take note GM....

http://newsstand7.com/2019/08/14/how...und-the-world/
Not this BS again. Mrs. Number 3 has a degree in marketing, was the marketing manager of Corvette (which Camaro volumes have fallen to) and with data that suggests there is no business case that says TV ad $ increases sales enough to pay for the ads.

Your degree was in what? You refer to Marketing 101? Oh and to be clear, advertising is a mere subset of marketing.

If I spend $20,000,000 to develop, film and buy air time for ads, how many more Camaros do I have to sell to break even?

And Camaro is not Coke. Everyone is a target for a Cola drink. A limited capacity coupe has a much more limited market. Mapuche more limited.