Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
oneplustwo

Drives: 2018 Torch Red SS 1LE with Whipple
Rear subframe lock out kit?

I've read a bunch of positive reviews on the BMR rear cradle lockout kits but none from the track rat perspective. Wondering if anyone here has any direct experience with impact to track time. Not necessarily that you're faster, but at least that it's more fun or gives a greater sense of confidence, etc.

http://m.bmrsuspension.com/?page=pro...productid=1635
Old 01-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
I've read a bunch of positive reviews on the BMR rear cradle lockout kits but none from the track rat perspective. Wondering if anyone here has any direct experience with impact to track time. Not necessarily that you're faster, but at least that it's more fun or gives a greater sense of confidence, etc.

the sixth gen rear cradle in a ZL1 (non 1LE) or SS 1LE is really sloppy. My 5th gen ZL1 never had this loose feeling. The lockout kit definitely helped my car on track feel more stable. It helped enough I installed the differential lockout as well to make things more stiff. The ZL1 1LE has a perfect setup for track use with solid bushings in all positions in the rear cradle. You won't be disappointed...not a difficult install either. Entire bushings are a bit of a PITA...this lockout is easily reversible too.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
oneplustwo

Drives: 2018 Torch Red SS 1LE with Whipple
How was the differential lockout to install? Also pretty straight forward?
Old 01-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
How was the differential lockout to install? Also pretty straight forward?
not bad at all...go to the BMR site and download the install directions.

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/siteart/install/BK063.pdf
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:04 PM   #5
Ummpwr

Drives: Honda S2000
Looks like a legitimate helpful track mod. I'll consider it, but haven't felt wheel hop on road courses yet. Instructions make it look simple but it also says 2-3hr seems more like 30min-1hr? Anyone have experience?
Ummpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 11:08 PM   #6
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
but none from the track rat perspective. Wondering if anyone here has any direct experience with impact to track time. Not necessarily that you're faster, but at least that it's more fun or gives a greater sense of confidence, etc.

Quoting myself below from my more detailed post about this in the ZL1 sub-forum since I would imagine non-ZL1 owners may not see it. I didn't get a chance to do full laps today, but I might be able to provide lap time comparisons/input later this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
I just did the BMR BK063 lockout kit install myself a few days ago on my SS 1LE.

My initial impression on stock SC3 tires after the equivalent of about one 20 minute session at my local track today (MSR Houston) in a track sprint event is that oversteer starts a bit more gradually. I usually drive with traction/stability control off because it gives me the best feel for what back of the car is doing; not sure if PTM might make this less noticeable. Also I just drove this track in this direction for one long session in December and at another event with 4 sessions in one day at the end of January so I have a recent memory of what the car felt like before and I reviewed PDR data/videos from those events before today's event. I don't have lap time comparisons because the track sprint format today involved doing about 80% of a the distance of a lap and waiting a few minutes for others to go one at a time before going again. I think the lockout kit might make more of a difference the next time I try my ZLE wheels with 100 treadwear SC3R tires since the car was previously more of a handful for me on track with those tires. On the highway I notice that I feel expansion joints and transitions to/from overpasses more sharply in my back/butt than I did before, but it is not a big a difference in terms of comfort. I also noticed feeling some minor back and forth motion while I had cruise control set that I have not felt before on certain slightly uneven road surfaces (on a stretch of highway that I drive a lot) but it was pretty minor and didn't last very long. When launching the car from a stop and from a roll, it felt like I might be able to go to 100% throttle in first gear more quickly without spinning the tires and/or engaging traction control compared to before but it is still possible to spin them. It is difficult to say for sure since road and tire temperature also impact this. I went to the 1/4 mile drag strip once a while back with the same type/size of tires and the same rear alignment that I have now so maybe I will go back and compare 60' times before/after.

Note: I didn't get the alignment checked yet, but the car continued to track straight like it did before on throttle and under heavy braking and felt fine on track so I would guess that the alignment didn't change much if any.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 03-04-2022 at 11:26 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote