Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-02-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
17txcamaross

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Trans Tune Necessary??

Good morning everyone!

So to start, I have used the search feature and am unable to find definitive answers to my quesitons.

1) Is there a definite need to tune the transmission with boltons and E85? My car will have Rotofab Dry w/ sound tube, 1 7/8th catless headers, x-pipe, midpipes, Stock NPP suitcase, Ported IM/TB and E85.

2) To further add to my question above is there a certain power level which trans tuning would become necessary?

3) I would like to avoid the need to tune the transmission initially and move that way once I go to FI, but I do not want any adverse effects to the transmission. I will however be ok with not shaving the .1-.3 off the 1/4 for the time being.

Also, any other pertinent information on this topic is appreciated. Hoping this thread will also help others like myself.
17txcamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
starscream5000

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2ss
Getting your transmission tuned is almost worth the price even with a stock car. The small amount of torque converter slippage that's programed into the TCM from the factory can cause the dreaded transmission shudder that you may have seen on here. I've had that problem myself and had to take it in to the dealer to be serviced.
starscream5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #3
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
Tuned my trans and it's a whole different car. Firmer shifts, changed some shift points and zeroed out all the slip. No more shudder.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #4
17txcamaross

I've had my converter replaced from the transmission shudder. Seems from reading it is pretty easy to brick the tcm.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
17txcamaross

Thank you guys for your input so far, but this does not fully answer my main question.

That is do I need to get my transmission tuned when adding:

Rotofab Dry w/ sound tube, 1 7/8th catless headers, x-pipe, midpipes, Stock NPP suitcase, Ported IM/TB and E85

I will be tuning the car, but would like to wait on the transmission if it is not necessary and will not have any ill effects on a street car.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #6
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
You don't NEED to but you might as well since you're tuning the engine. As others have mentioned though it make the trans operate better and removing the slip should theoretically help extend the trans life.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | TSP 1 7/8" Catted Headers | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
17txcamaross

Awesome, this is the answer I was looking for. My only concern really with the transmission tune immediately is the need to have my DD down for a week. Could borrow a car from someone, but don't really want to do that. Will be attempting to get a spare TCM from GM...don't think this will be easy and maybe not even possible...but worth a try.

Hoping to have all parts installed by the end of the month. Slowly but surely getting everything wired up and getting loose ends answered from the forum.

I will say that the extensive knowledge base on the forum has been an irreplaceable asset. Thanks everyone!
Old 04-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #8
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
A spare TCM will not work since it wont communicate with other modules until it is programmed with your VIN. To program it will require a subscription to TIS, which programs the module while uploaded to the TIS web servers. So unless you get the dealer or someone with a subscription, or buy a subscription. This wont work.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:00 AM   #9
17txcamaross

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
A spare TCM will not work since it wont communicate with other modules until it is programmed with your VIN. To program it will require a subscription to TIS, which programs the module while uploaded to the TIS web servers. So unless you get the dealer or someone with a subscription, or buy a subscription. This wont work.
Thanks for this. My hopes were that I could get GM to both get me a TCM and then program it to my car. The hardest part aside from getting one would be to have GM let me keep the old TCM. I guess this will be future problems since I do not plan to tune the TCM immediately due to the need to send it off.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:00 AM   #10
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
You can actually program the fuel controller as well. All 3 modules getting tuned will help immensely
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
f.d

Drives: camaro
So what are the steps to have Transmission tune.
What to do from beginning to end.
Thanks
f.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.d View Post
Thanks
Shoot me an email and I will help you out tedj@jannettyracing.com

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #13
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.d View Post
Thanks
A lot of research on tuning the 6th gen Camaro with Hptuners and contact a vendor experienced with the platform such as Ted Jenetty and let him remote tune it for you. Then you can compare the changes made from your stock tune and apply that in conjunction with your research and start connecting the Dots. That is how I learned the basics of tuning.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:12 PM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
A lot of research on tuning the 6th gen Camaro with Hptuners and contact a vendor experienced with the platform such as Ted Jenetty and let him remote tune it for you. Then you can compare the changes made from your stock tune and apply that in conjunction with your research and start connecting the Dots. That is how I learned the basics of tuning.
Thanks King,
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote