Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
mspeed1LE

Drives: ZL1 1LE SUMMIT WHITE
Harness Attachment Points

Curious what folks are doing for attachment for 5 or 6 point harnesses in ZL1 1LE.
Obviously lap and crotch belts only.
mspeed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:09 PM   #2
FSST_LAP

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Well I dont have the ZL1 but I have the 1LE. The crotch belt is on a custom base ( 2 of them because I have a 6 point harness). The left side Eye bolt and right side Eye bold is also attached to the custom base of the car. This only works because I have a racing seat installed.

Last edited by FSST_LAP; 06-02-2018 at 02:59 PM.
FSST_LAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #3
mspeed1LE

I'd like to stick with the Recaros for now and perhaps make a change down the road.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #4
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
You would have to cut a slot into the Recaro's for the sub-strap. Then attach to a base plate on the floor. If you don't have mounting sliders or fixed seat mounts with a cross member made for sub-strap mounting you will have to put a backing plate under the car and drill holes in the bottom of the car to provide bolts for mounting. The backing plate would be needed to give the sub-strap a fixed hold point when in a crash.

It would also not be advisable to do this without a roll bar and track shells.

If you want to stay with the stock seats I may want to look at a Scroth DOT compliant 4 pt solution.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
mspeed1LE

Ya the bar is in hence the inquiry about Lap and Crotch belts only.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:44 PM   #6
mspeed1LE

Anyone sliced a Recaro for a crotch belt?
Old 08-21-2022, 08:33 PM   #7
Texan4iu
BLEW BIU

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Hyper Blue
5 point harness?

I’ve got a BK Harness bar setup with a 4 point harness. Could I not run a harness strap (crotch/anti-sub belt) between the cushions & attach it to my harness bar? Granted it won’t be as good as a hole in a racing seat attached to a bar beneath the seat, but I too want to keep my Recaro seats for DD.

Last edited by Texan4iu; 08-22-2022 at 09:13 AM.
Texan4iu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 09:14 PM   #8
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
You seem to have already excluded it, but I run a 4pt belt. Works nice for me with 200tw street tires and hawk 60s.
Attached Images

5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:05 PM   #9
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
You seem to have already excluded it, but I run a 4pt belt. Works nice for me with 200tw street tires and hawk 60s.
must admit, have not researched this much, but am interested in options that maintain the factory seats. Do you have any organizations that do not permit the 4 point? Thought I read, down here at least, some (maybe it was PCA?) that would not permit 4 points, even if it had the anti-sub "feature". Just curious.

PS - love the booster seat in the back. ;-)

Last edited by Eric10905; 08-23-2022 at 01:06 PM. Reason: added PS
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:42 PM   #10
Rwhp042

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
You can run sub belts between the cushions without cutting a hole. The flap on the back of the seat will unhook from under the seat. You do need an attachment bar which do not seem to be easily available. I fabricated my own that attaches with the seat bolts. This allows you to run a 6 point harness. see pics
Attached Images

Rwhp042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:16 PM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
stock seats and belts or full race seat and cage/harness
Old 08-23-2022, 05:35 PM   #12
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric10905 View Post
must admit, have not researched this much, but am interested in options that maintain the factory seats. Do you have any organizations that do not permit the 4 point? Thought I read, down here at least, some (maybe it was PCA?) that would not permit 4 points, even if it had the anti-sub "feature". Just curious.

Good point. None of the clubs I run with care, but NASA and some others do.

And as for the booster, it gets lots of LOLs during tech inspection at the track.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:56 PM   #13
NinthWave

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric10905 View Post

I see you are in Austin, I can comment on COTA- PCA prohibits 4 pt except for Schroth Quick Fit Pro in vehicles they are approved for. I don't think 6Gen Camaro is on the list but you can check on hmsmotorsport.com.

Chin and Edge Addicts state on their Tech forms either factory 3 pt belts or 5 or 6 pt harness. That said, I haven't seen them check closely whereas PCA does.

There's also some good info on the hms site on setup geometry, anchor points, hardware, wrapping in slide bars etc.

Just my approach but I look at it as a "system". Factory belts and airbags are a engineered system. but with a helmet there is additional mass around the head. A Simpson hybrid head restraint (models designed and tested for 3 pts) is a good upgrade.

And rollbar (not just harness bar) plus seat plus 6 points with correct mounting and geometry and always a head and neck restraint (HANS) together form a "system". Hope that is useful.

Last edited by NinthWave; 08-23-2022 at 07:13 PM.
NinthWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:17 PM   #14
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Good point. None of the clubs I run with care, but NASA and some others do.

And as for the booster, it gets lots of LOLs during tech inspection at the track.
Yeah, about the same here from what I've seen - some check and others I think be more relaxed. Also can depend on solo or instructed with that group.
As for the car seat, I can beat. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthWave View Post
I see you are in Austin, I can comment on COTA- PCA prohibits 4 pt except for Schroth Quick Fit Pro in vehicles they are approved for. I don't think 6Gen Camaro is on the list but you can check on hmsmotorsport.com.

Chin and Edge Addicts state on their Tech forms either factory 3 pt belts or 5 or 6 pt harness. That said, I haven't seen them check closely whereas PCA does.

There's also some good info on the hms site on setup geometry, anchor points, hardware, wrapping in slide bars etc.

Just my approach but I look at it as a "system". Factory belts and airbags are a engineered system. but with a helmet there is additional mass around the head. A Simpson hybrid head restraint (models designed and tested for 3 pts) is a good upgrade.

And rollbar (not just harness bar) plus seat plus 6 points with correct mounting and geometry and always a head and neck restraint (HANS) together form a "system". Hope that is useful.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I have either seen or encountered it with those, esp having run with a couple of the PCA groups as well. I have considered the Simpson hybrid since as you point out, it's extra mass supported by your neck. But I need to research a bit further since I have some decisions to make on which way to go. ;-)

Keep it on the black stuff guys.
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote