Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
rdrfronty

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE CRUSH
Tires for 1LE with extra power & black top driven?

I know there are a ton of tire threads here and on the normal tire section. But the more I read, the more I am getting frustrated with a good tire choice.
Basically looking for the best tires for my 1LE that was recently cammed and driven mostly on black top roads in southeast Texas.
The car has not been on a track yet, but I do intend to do so eventually, but only perhaps once a year or so. So not really a track car, but I want the tires to be able to do decent in case I want to track it.
My G2's tires currently have 8700 miles on them. My rear tires have appx 2/32's left on them. Maybe a tick more since they arnt quite to the indicators. The fronts have about 1/2 life left.
So my issue is lack of traction. I have 3 reasons causing that - rear tires getting low tread, bolt-on power (before last week), and 75% of the driving done on black tops.
Pretty much at any speed in 1st or 2nd gear up to at least 60mph - if I nail it, i get pretty good tire spin. Note that is with traction control off. And two weeks ago I almost lost it while passing a car in at 55-60mph - but in 3rd gear this time. Even 1/2 throttle in 1 & 2nd gear will often break them loose. Now the 25% that I drive on conrete, the car hooks much better. Will still break loose in both gears, but not nearly as severe.
And yes I could drive with traction control all the time, but having it kick in every time I try to play a little on a county back road really really sucks. Kinda defeats the point of built V8. I'm a careful driver in town and around other cars. But yeah I like to do some minor playing when its safe to do so.
And to make things even worse, I just went from 424whp/417ftlbs to 494whp/468ftlbs this week with a nice cam install. AND cold weather is coming soon. Granted this is southeast Texas, but it still gets into the 20's here. I don't drive it when it's below 35F or so. But obvious even 35-50F traction suffers greatly with G2's.
I was leaning towards going with MPSS's in 295/35/20's on all 4 corners. They will give me 1"+ more tread and still keep the "squared" setup that these 1LE's were designed to have. Most I've read say they will offer much better street traction. But then I read the occasional post stating how poorly they do on the track with our heavy cars. And their high cost and hard to find issue doesn't help. But they are likely at the top of my list so far.
I've considered just sticking 305 G2's on the rear too. But I don't like changing the "square" setup and from most ZL1 posts about them, they don't do the job so great on their cars either. No I don't have a ZL1, but my power is just as high and I've raced stock ZL1's in the past with just my bolt-ons and it was a dead heat. And I've gained 70whp since then. So basically ZL1 tire setups should be considered.
Other obvious contenders are Toyo's, NT01's, NT555, & NT555R's. Those I'm considering in all sizes ranging from 285's - 315's. Or go with my top contender 295 MPSS's or just get meatier 305 G2's for the rear???
Remember I'm looking for a tire setup for a 1LE with 494whp/468ftlbs, driven year round (on weekends) in southeast Texas, but mostly on black tops and without loosing it's tracking ability.
Opinions and experiences will be greatly appreciated.
Kong Ported Supercharger, Nick Williams 103mm Throttle Body, Roto-fab Big Gulp CAI, Kooks 2" LT Headers, AWE 3" Touring Exhaust, Cordes Expansion Tank, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, MS Tuning -- 661whp & 684ftlbs
rdrfronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
G2's won't work when frozen and you will crack the sidewalls . Other than freezing and rain the G2's are great. You can upgrade the rear bushings and arms for starters ,but no tire will hookup in freezing temps . Your best bet is to stick with the stock size G2's and take a driving course ,it will be you best money spent. Buying a cheap beater to drive in freezing temps as a DD will be cheaper in the long run on paint and body work .
Old 10-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #3
rdrfronty

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE CRUSH
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
G2's won't work when frozen and you will crack the sidewalls . Other than freezing and rain the G2's are great. You can upgrade the rear bushings and arms for starters ,but no tire will hookup in freezing temps . Your best bet is to stick with the stock size G2's and take a driving course ,it will be you best money spent. Buying a cheap beater to drive in freezing temps as a DD will be cheaper in the long run on paint and body work .
But G2's arn't cutting it even in the summer. Even with my previous 424whp I couldn't get traction in 1st or 2nd gear from a roll. Granted new ones would help, but only so much. So staying with 285 G2's arn't even in the running for me. 285/305 setup like a ZL1 perhaps, but I doubt that extra 20mm on a G2 tire will help when I'm over 100whp more than stock. Black top roads just suck for traction. And G2's have to be warmed up good to hook.
I love the G2's look and have no doubt they will kick butt on a track. But though I intend to go, in the 17 months I've owned the car it's only been street driven.
Kong Ported Supercharger, Nick Williams 103mm Throttle Body, Roto-fab Big Gulp CAI, Kooks 2" LT Headers, AWE 3" Touring Exhaust, Cordes Expansion Tank, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, MS Tuning -- 661whp & 684ftlbs
rdrfronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:03 PM   #4
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Michillen Pilot Super Sports are what I heard people were trying with decent results.

Subbing for info as well.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote