#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-30-2023, 08:01 PM   #71
LancevanceZLE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike818 View Post
Just a hunch, but I think you probably have to be going faster than is legal on any public roads for that to be an issue.

I agree though that's probably one of the reasons for why they wouldn't sell the car like that.

Even if they wanted to offer a waiver, that's probably got to go through legal, and they probably don't think its worth the effort.

The ZL1 collectors edition comes with the wing but not the splitter, so I doubt it's that big of a deal
LancevanceZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 08:29 PM   #72
Cardiak

Drives: Boat
Quote:
Just a hunch, but I think you probably have to be going faster than is legal on any public roads for that to be an issue.
I don't think most people with sports cars do the speed limit all the time.
Cardiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 09:05 PM   #73
Mike818

Drives: 5.0 Fox, Lancer Evos (8,X),23 ZLE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiak View Post
I don't think most people with sports cars do the speed limit all the time.
I'm just saying from a liability standpoint, I think you would have a hard time suing GM for crashing your car while committing a felony.

Which is my guess at how fast you would have to be going for that aero to actually be a factor.

I'm no lawyer though, and every organizations risk tolerance is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancevanceZLE View Post
The ZL1 collectors edition comes with the wing but not the splitter, so I doubt it's that big of a deal
I'm not sure if that's really apples to apples. Putting aero on a car that didn't need it isn't really the same as taking it off something that does.
Mike818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 09:58 PM   #74
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I'm just saying from a liability standpoint, I think you would have a hard time suing GM for crashing your car while committing a felony.

Which is my guess at how fast you would have to be going for that aero to actually be a factor.

I'm no lawyer though, and every organizations risk tolerance is different.

I'm not sure if that's really apples to apples. Putting aero on a car that didn't need it isn't really the same as taking it off something that does.
These cars are supposed to even have warranty coverage for road course driving, and ~150 mph where this may become an issue is well within the attainable top speed range on some courses. I won't bring up the Autobahn, because these aren't export trims, but track duty is definitely a potential liability for GM.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:35 PM   #75
Mike818

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
These cars are supposed to even have warranty coverage for road course driving, and ~150 mph where this may become an issue is well within the attainable top speed range on some courses. I won't bring up the Autobahn, because these aren't export trims, but track duty is definitely a potential liability for GM.
and GM even markets the car as a track vehicle.

I think overall though the potential liability to GM is much much less if you crash at a track vs. on public roads. Again not a lawyer, but even then I think a lot of that liability would fall on the organizers of the event. Since they would be responsible for safety and generally I believe most people sign a waiver.

I'm sure folks who actually track their cars could speak more to how this usually plays out. I've never really heard of anyone suing an OEM over crashing their car at the track. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened though, settlements often include NDA's.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:12 PM   #76
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
That's just an error with the online builder. They're not actually offering any of that stuff outside of the ZL1 1LE, which if available would include front aero.
Are you sure about it being an error? There is a bunch of “error” which leads me to believe it’s not an error. You’re talking about a package for the 6th Gen thats been the halo Camaro, now suddenly they can’t get the website correct. No mention of a 1LE, specifically removed items and a completely redrawn fascia on the former 1LE. Not saying I don’t believe you, I’m saying there are too many oddities which leads me to believe GM is playing games to ensure it’s new paint job special gets top billing.

Last edited by Camfab; 08-31-2023 at 12:08 AM.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 12:16 AM   #77
Z28ZL11LE

Drives: 23 ZL1 1LE
I built and priced a zl1 through the chevrolet website and if you select the 1le wheels it will bump your build total cost up $7500 and the picture representation will show the rear 1le wing, the wheels without the front aero.

I wouldn't get my hopes up however for a 24 1le. I had an order in for a 1le at 2 dealerships for a 23 with no allocation luck. In May I gave up hope and just went on all the cars for sale websites and the chevrolet inventory website and found the car I wanted to order in out of state inventory, so I bought it.

That car represented 50 years from my 1st car, a 1973, type LT Z28 that I factory ordered in february 1973. I had the car 8 weeks later. So much for technology and on demand inventory. I am thoroughly disappointed in Chevrolets lack of information regarding current orders. In 73 any issue or question i had was dealt with or answered by the chevrolet zone manager. They still have those but it's nowdays just a title with no power.

Anyway, my new Riverside Blue ZL1 1LE is parked beside my Midnight Blue 15k Mile 73 LT Z28.
Z28ZL11LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 12:26 AM   #78
Z28ZL11LE

If anyone wants a 2023 build like this one for sale for $125k visit Tilleman Chevrolet in Havre Montana that lists the same car for $80k
Old 08-31-2023, 01:31 AM   #79
Z06ZLE

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28ZL11LE View Post
I built and priced a zl1 through the chevrolet website and if you select the 1le wheels it will bump your build total cost up $7500 and the picture representation will show the rear 1le wing, the wheels without the front aero.

I wouldn't get my hopes up however for a 24 1le. I had an order in for a 1le at 2 dealerships for a 23 with no allocation luck. In May I gave up hope and just went on all the cars for sale websites and the chevrolet inventory website and found the car I wanted to order in out of state inventory, so I bought it.

That car represented 50 years from my 1st car, a 1973, type LT Z28 that I factory ordered in february 1973. I had the car 8 weeks later. So much for technology and on demand inventory. I am thoroughly disappointed in Chevrolets lack of information regarding current orders. In 73 any issue or question i had was dealt with or answered by the chevrolet zone manager. They still have those but it's nowdays just a title with no power.

Anyway, my new Riverside Blue ZL1 1LE is parked beside my Midnight Blue 15k Mile 73 LT Z28.
Was it hard to find an out-of-state ZLE that already had copper-free brakes, since you’re in WA and that is one of the two states that mandates them?
2014 Mustang GT
2012 Yamaha R1
2011 Corvette Z06
2008 Corvette Z06
2007 Yamaha R6

Daily: 2015 BMW i3
Z06ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 10:41 AM   #80
Crushed 1LE

Drives: 2022 ZL1(FEA suspension) Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
The argument between the 1LE and regular ZL1 is quite simple really, just some aero bits and pieces, and different shocks. The majority of people that own 1LEs don't even use them to their full potential to begin with, so why not enjoy the same chasis, steering, etc with an adjustable magnaride? And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, yes the rear glass is "lighter" and no you don't notice a difference so don't act like you do, and yes the back seats are "lighter" and no you can't tell a difference with that either
There is more than you said.
M6 is different
Solid rear cradle mounts
Brake caliper color and decals
Front ride links
Adjustable rear sway bar
ABS and TCS modules tuned differently
Castor on front is different

Last edited by Crushed 1LE; 08-31-2023 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Edit
Crushed 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 11:25 AM   #81
Z28ZL11LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06ZLE View Post
Was it hard to find an out-of-state ZLE that already had copper-free brakes, since you’re in WA and that is one of the two states that mandates them?
The copper free brakes issue didn't come up as the car was purchased from an out of state dealer. I would assume that applies to selling a new car at a Washington Dealership.

I did have to make sure it had the NE1:Emissions: CT/DE/MA/MD/ME/NJ/NY/OR/PA/RI/VT/WA in order to register it in the state of Washington. Any out of state dealer can order this on the car however to make it 50 state legal with more potential buyers.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:29 PM   #82
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushed 1LE View Post
M6 is different
They use a whole different transmission for the 1LE?
Solid rear cradle mounts
Can be purchased and installed with hand tools in a garage
Doesn't offer any performance value
Front ride links
How so?
Adjustable rear sway bar
Can be purchased and installed in an hour
I don't believe that's true
M6 is different
They use a whole different transmission for the 1LE?
Solid rear cradle mounts
Can be purchased and installed with hand tools in a garage
Doesn't offer any performance value
Front ride links
How so?
Adjustable rear sway bar
Can be purchased and installed in an hour
I don't believe that's true
Old 08-31-2023, 12:34 PM   #83
Mike818

it comes with the DSSVs not magride, so something has to have a different tune on it.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:03 PM   #84
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
it comes with the DSSVs not magride, so something has to have a different tune on it.
I understand the reasoning for that, the software (obviously) won't adjust for the mag ride for the DSSVs but I believe it is the same TC,torque management etc for both the ZL1 and 1LE. Hopefully he can elaborate.