Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-15-2021, 10:10 AM   #1
Metal_AF

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Talk me out of Hooker headers.

I don't have access to a lift so the 2 piece hooker headers are appealing. What are the major drawbacks here? If installation wasn't an issue, I would probably go ARH.

- End state I plan on keeping cats, and something keeping the NPP in the back if that matters at all.

Thanks!
Metal_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
DorsoDuroJohn

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
While i'm sure they give good head, the likelihood of disease is really high, plus if you don't pay them right away they have this dude waiting outside for you!
DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:36 AM   #3
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_AF View Post
I don't have access to a lift so the 2 piece hooker headers are appealing. What are the major drawbacks here? If installation wasn't an issue, I would probably go ARH.

- End state I plan on keeping cats, and something keeping the NPP in the back if that matters at all.

Thanks!
I was able to do all from top driver side was easy passenger side a few extra steps like removing the coil cover and valve covers/w coils . yes a lift helps but jack stands is all you need if you want to remove the brace on the bottom ect.. When I did mine there were no how to videos so it took a few hours now I bet I could knock it out quick since I've done a few now.

BTW you don't need $2200.00 headers on the car I have had TSP on for 3 years over 1000 rwhp no problems yet still look great! these stupid MF's spending more on headers than the fuel system that's what you need to be saving for! All because the mark up on a 2200 set vs a 700 set is more.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #4
Domo14SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorsoDuroJohn View Post
While i'm sure they give good head, the likelihood of disease is really high, plus if you don't pay them right away they have this dude waiting outside for you!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What He said!
Domo14SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
Metal_AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
I was able to do all from top driver side was easy passenger side a few extra steps like removing the coil cover and valve covers/w coils . yes a lift helps but jack stands is all you need if you want to remove the brace on the bottom ect.. When I did mine there were no how to videos so it took a few hours now I bet I could knock it out quick since I've done a few now.

BTW you don't need $2200.00 headers on the car I have had TSP on for 3 years over 1000 rwhp no problems yet still look great! these stupid MF's spending more on headers than the fuel system that's what you need to be saving for! All because the mark up on a 2200 set vs a 700 set is more.

Thanks for the feedback, TSP wasn't even on my radar. I wanted to be sure I didn't run into any fitment problems, so only really considered a couple common ones.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:37 AM   #6
Metal_AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo14SS View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What He said!

HAHA, wtf. I don't know what I was expecting from you guys.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:32 PM   #7
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Headers can be done on jackstands, not too bad. Installed mine from the bottom and took a little fenagaling but got them in. Passenger side is a little more of a hassle but definitely doable on jacks
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:33 PM   #8
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post

Which TSP headers are you running? how are you connecting them to the mid section of the exhaust? running cats?
Old 10-15-2021, 04:02 PM   #9
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_AF View Post

Thanks!
You don't need a lift to install headers. Just a set of good jack stands and getting the car as high up in the air as you can.

I honestly would go with Kooks or CSP's Stainless Works made headers. I have owned both Kooks and ARH and Kooks by far have had the best fitment. For the price, ARH leave a lot to be desired in how well they fit.

And both Kooks and CSP have options to use the factory mid pipe so you can still use the NPP.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:32 AM   #10
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
after installing headers on a coyote s550 where the first instruction was "remove windshield wipers", dad and i were both amazed and relieved at the ease of install on the CSP headers.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #11
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
I installed my 2" TSP headers on jack stands in my garage. Driver's side went in from the bottom and the only problem I had was it wanted to fall out, true! Point is driver's side was stupid simple. Passenger side went in from the top. I loosened the nut on the motor mount and lifted the motor maybe two inches and it slid in easy. The only problem I had was reinstalling the dipstick tube. I didn't pay attention when I took it out - so, pay careful attention so you know how it goes back in!!! No fitment issues what so ever. They have been in for about three thousand miles and still look great.

There ya go - ditch the Hooker headers!!
DSX Flex fuel/Low side
NW 103mm TB/Roto-Fab CAI
Monster S Series
Elite E2-X
2" TSP LT's
BMR:BK063, BK060,TCA061, UTCA060, UTCA063
Weld Beadlocks/17" NT5R2
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:45 PM   #12
FlowTie

Drives: ZL1-1LE 6MT
As far as fitment I've heard ARH is the best for fitment clearance over many models, but I've also probably heard just as many people say CSP gives the easiest install on the Camaro. Can't go wrong with either, or the Holley I suppose, but personally I think the CSP are more expensive than necessary. You spend a day installing it and years driving the car after the fact so in my eyes a little longer install time isn't a big deal as long as it's not burning up your lines. I would much rather save cost on the headers by going with TSP then put money saved toward a new tune, but that's me.
FlowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:53 PM   #13
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
I installed my ARH 1 7/8” coated headers by myself but on a 4 post lift. Wasn’t all that hard to get them in.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:12 PM   #14
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Wall thickness matters also. I hear substantially less ticking/exhaust noise from when i had kooks in compared to the csp headers.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote