Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-10-2021, 12:02 PM   #15
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
Do not do this!

You need a race fuel concentrate. I use the Race Gas brand: http://race-gas.com/ purchased thru Summit.
You use the regular “race gas” or the “ultra”?
Old 10-10-2021, 07:48 PM   #16
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
Do not do this!

You need a race fuel concentrate. I use the Race Gas brand: http://race-gas.com/ purchased thru Summit.
Race-Gas is an MMT-based octane booster, too. I tried it and it works fine in terms of raising octane and knock resistance, but it isn't a true race gas despite the misleading name.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:52 AM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It says right in the Owner's Manual these cars are tuned for 93 octane, so you better believe you'll likely get some timing pull on our crap 91.

Another car I know runs 1-can of Racegas Concentrate for a full tank of 91, which blends to around 93-or-so. That car (Maggie 2650 at around 15+psi) can run 22-degrees of advance up around 1.60 cylinder airmass. We never really pushed higher, but are pretty sure that's at least close to the limit of this blend. No - maybe you won't get 20-30 more bald eagles, but detonation is never good.

Boostane also makes little $11 bottles, too. I think those blend 16-gallons of 91 to about 93 or something. We have some of this, but haven't tested it yet. Boostane is known to work, so I'm sure these will be just fine.

We have options, here, in our "great" state... We do. And you can order all of this on-line. California hasn't required Amazon to shut us out yet...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:04 AM   #18
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
It says right in the Owner's Manual these cars are tuned for 93 octane, so you better believe you'll likely get some timing pull on our crap 91.

Another car I know runs 1-can of Racegas Concentrate for a full tank of 91, which blends to around 93-or-so. That car (Maggie 2650 at around 15+psi) can run 22-degrees of advance up around 1.60 cylinder airmass. We never really pushed higher, but are pretty sure that's at least close to the limit of this blend. No - maybe you won't get 20-30 more bald eagles, but detonation is never good.

Boostane also makes little $11 bottles, too. I think those blend 16-gallons of 91 to about 93 or something. We have some of this, but haven't tested it yet. Boostane is known to work, so I'm sure these will be just fine.

We have options, here, in our "great" state... We do. And you can order all of this on-line. California hasn't required Amazon to shut us out yet...
Does the car make all of those calculations by itself, or are you doing that with HP tuners, remember I'm wanting to stay CARB compliant with my upcoming magnuson install and don't want to mess with the stock tune. And i'm assuming that car you mention isn't wanting to stay carb compliant? And which "Racegas" is he using? The Ultra or the Regular?
Old 10-11-2021, 10:10 AM   #19
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Does the car make all of those calculations by itself, or are you doing that with HP tuners, remember I'm wanting to stay CARB compliant with my upcoming magnuson install and don't want to mess with the stock tune. And i'm assuming that car you mention isn't wanting to stay carb compliant? And which "Racegas" is he using? The Ultra or the Regular?
For the current setup, the ecm will adjust based on the oct it sees. If you decide to use an additive, it will be cheaper getting a 5gal drum. That is what i have done last 4 years. I wait for Boostane to run a sale with free shipping. Several times a year they run a 20 or 25% off sale with free shipping. The 5gals will last a year or more depending how much u drive.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:14 AM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
You don't have the change anything, really. Again - I don't believe you'll gain a whole lot in power, but I'm more concerned about staying out of knock. For that alone, it's worth it to me. The engines are just set-up to run on 93 is all I'm saying (stated in the Owner's Manual). This is my car, so it's for CARB-compliance. I'm using the regular (in the orange-label can; I think the Ultra is the purple? can).

The Maggie tune is a little conservative, but I'd run the booster anyways. LT4s are robust but detonation is no good. If nothing else, VP has a booster that they say is actually safe for sensors. I don't think it's necessarily better or different than Boostane or Racegas - it's just a more controlled size so there isn't too much MMT. That's what gives the octane boost, and what kills the sensors. It seems like a quick indicator of the concentration of booster is how yellow the exhaust pipe tips are. The more booster you run, the yellower/browner the tips get from the MMT. Mine have a slight tint of the yellow/brown. I have to change plugs soon, and am going to check those out, too, but I know they'll be discolored also. I'm only running a can to a full-tank of gas.

My point is, that I think you could run a little booster to get to about 93, and still be fine (emissions and mechanically). If I recall, GM used to have a tune-upgrade for Z06s to run on 100-octane. I don't know all the details, but that was safe enough to sell, so us adding a little octane shouldn't hurt. It will reduce the life of some of the emissions components (O2 sensors, cats') and spark plugs, but I'm willing to kill a couple cats over the course of several years to get a little more power. I will hopefully be out of this state by the time I have to smog, lol.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 10-11-2021, 11:18 AM   #21
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Octane is a measure of the fuels resistance to ignition.

Will your LT4 run on 91? Sure. Max power? Depends on conditions.

Higher octane allows you to advance (or at least avoid retarding) timing. I saw big differences when I was running a Direct Injected Turbo 4 at Sebring and Daytona in June/July/August using race fuel or Torco.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:19 AM   #22
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
You don't have the change anything, really. Again - I don't believe you'll gain a whole lot in power, but I'm more concerned about staying out of knock. For that alone, it's worth it to me. The engines are just set-up to run on 93 is all I'm saying (stated in the Owner's Manual). This is my car, so it's for CARB-compliance. I'm using the regular (in the orange-label can; I think the Ultra is the purple? can).

The Maggie tune is a little conservative, but I'd run the booster anyways. LT4s are robust but detonation is no good. If nothing else, VP has a booster that they say is actually safe for sensors. I don't think it's necessarily better or different than Boostane or Racegas - it's just a more controlled size so there isn't too much MMT. That's what gives the octane boost, and what kills the sensors. It seems like a quick indicator of the concentration of booster is how yellow the exhaust pipe tips are. The more booster you run, the yellower/browner the tips get from the MMT. Mine have a slight tint of the yellow/brown. I have to change plugs soon, and am going to check those out, too, but I know they'll be discolored also. I'm only running a can to a full-tank of gas.

My point is, that I think you could run a little booster to get to about 93, and still be fine (emissions and mechanically). If I recall, GM used to have a tune-upgrade for Z06s to run on 100-octane. I don't know all the details, but that was safe enough to sell, so us adding a little octane shouldn't hurt. It will reduce the life of some of the emissions components (O2 sensors, cats') and spark plugs, but I'm willing to kill a couple cats over the course of several years to get a little more power. I will hopefully be out of this state by the time I have to smog, lol.
thanks for the response rad always informative, so just to clarify you're running one can of the oranger for a full tank? The website for some reasons mentions "Do not add more than 8 oz of Race Gas Race Fuel Concentrate per gallon of base fuel"?
Old 10-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #23
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
thanks for the response rad always informative, so just to clarify you're running one can of the oranger for a full tank? The website for some reasons mentions "Do not add more than 8 oz of Race Gas Race Fuel Concentrate per gallon of base fuel"?

Run a full 32oz can on a full tank, it will bring up 91 octane roughly 4 points (95) octane. Will keep you from knocking and allow max timing (or timing not being pulled from knock)

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:47 AM   #24
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i use the torco one but only on race days works good and car digs it
Old 10-11-2021, 12:11 PM   #25
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
Run a full 32oz can on a full tank, it will bring up 91 octane roughly 4 points (95) octane. Will keep you from knocking and allow max timing (or timing not being pulled from knock)
Bingo.

I've got a couple 32oz-cans of Boostane Professional. I've also got the little 10oz bottles of the Boostane that brings 16 gallons = 3 numbers, 21 gallons = 2 numbers (so - 91 to 93). These are convenient, though a little more expensive. My intent's been to use only what I needed to get to about 93. I've just been using Racegas regular, and I wanted consistency right now.

I don't DD my car, nor might I drive it but a couple times a month, so I might fill-up less than a month, so I don't care about paying a lot more for booster. It doesn't work for everyone that way, but I don't mind. I can't run E', and can't get anything better than 91 (there's like one gas station with 100 that's close, but I don't trust that station), so this works fine for what I do. The less you run to get the performance/safety you're looking for, the better. You don't get the octane, though, without the MMT, so you're limited here in CA (in regards to CARB-compliance).

JMHO

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 10-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #26
FoundNemo

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Any of these boosters will have MMT which can leave orange residue on plugs and such. FYI it is noticeable and could be flagged by a dealer. True race gas (VP100) will not though, but is much more expensive.
FoundNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:08 AM   #27
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
You use the regular “race gas” or the “ultra”?

Just the regular.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:14 AM   #28
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
For the current setup, the ecm will adjust based on the oct it sees. If you decide to use an additive, it will be cheaper getting a 5gal drum. That is what i have done last 4 years. I wait for Boostane to run a sale with free shipping. Several times a year they run a 20 or 25% off sale with free shipping. The 5gals will last a year or more depending how much u drive.

While I agree that this is the most frugal way to go, it isn't the most convenient. What I like about the Race Gas brand is that it comes in 2 different sized cans. The smaller of which will treat 8 gallons ~ a half of a tank from 91 to 95 and the larger of which will treat 16 gallons ~ a full tank from 91 to 95. You don't have to pour from one container into another etc... It goes right from the can into the tank at the gas station with a funnel.