Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #1
NiteBlitz

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Wind Noise

I just recently got my car wrapped. They ended up removing the door panels to get to the mirrors and removed the door handles as well.

After they put it back together I started hearing wind noise in the cabin. And a light rattle from passenger side when music plays loudly.

Ended up taking it to Chevy for them to check it out
They told me they verified that there are gaps in the adhesive between the door skin and inner beam causing the beam to rattle. They also believe this will eliminate the wind noise as well.

They want to charge me 690.00 for parts and labor. For both doors. Said its about a 4 hour job.
What do you guys think? Something I can do myself, or is it a grueling long process?
NiteBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:51 AM   #2
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
I don't see a year of car, I assume it's out of warranty since this sounds like it should be covered under it? I'm a little confused how wrap place pulling panels would cause any issue with a metal door skin and and metal inner support?

The door panels are easy to pull off and get in there. I'm not sure how they plan to fix it, but 4hrs sounds extreme.

Always like to see wraps, if you feel like sharing.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #3
NiteBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
I don't see a year of car, I assume it's out of warranty since this sounds like it should be covered under it? I'm a little confused how wrap place pulling panels would cause any issue with a metal door skin and and metal inner support?

The door panels are easy to pull off and get in there. I'm not sure how they plan to fix it, but 4hrs sounds extreme.

Always like to see wraps, if you feel like sharing.
Its a 2019. They said they have to dismantle the whole door to get to it. It is still in warranty, however as the wrap people tampered with it, its not covered. I'm not exactly sure what he is referring too as I never saw the interior after the panels were out.

Edit. I called chevy to clarify warranty. They stated it was caused by them (The Wrappers) hence warranty will not cover.

Ill add some pics of the wrap.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #4
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteBlitz View Post
Its a 2019. They said they have to dismantle the whole door to get to it. It is still in warranty, however as the wrap people tampered with it, its not covered. I'm not exactly sure what he is referring too as I never saw the interior after the panels were out.

Ill add some pics of the wrap.
Man I dig the wrap. As you can see by my SLC avatar I'm partial to gray/orange.

I'm with you, I'm unsure what they're referring to or as to how/why a wrap place would have anything to do with dislocating an inner support other than by accident. May be worth inquiring to wrap place and explain to them what dealership said and get their input.

It kind of sounds like with hours estimated that they may plan to completely remove the door skin, fix the inner brace rattle, then reattach the door skin? If that actually needs to be done, I'd let dealership do it. If it was me, I'd pull the door panel off and see if you can locate the support and reach it by hand. If so, may be worth at least attempting to reglue it. Hopefully someone with more experience inside the door panel will pop in. If no one in this sub-forum, try the main forum since all our doors are built the same.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:57 PM   #5
NiteBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
Man I dig the wrap. As you can see by my SLC avatar I'm partial to gray/orange.

I'm with you, I'm unsure what they're referring to or as to how/why a wrap place would have anything to do with dislocating an inner support other than by accident. May be worth inquiring to wrap place and explain to them what dealership said and get their input.

It kind of sounds like with hours estimated that they may plan to completely remove the door skin, fix the inner brace rattle, then reattach the door skin? If that actually needs to be done, I'd let dealership do it. If it was me, I'd pull the door panel off and see if you can locate the support and reach it by hand. If so, may be worth at least attempting to reglue it. Hopefully someone with more experience inside the door panel will pop in. If no one in this sub-forum, try the main forum since all our doors are built the same.

It kind of sounds like with hours estimated that they may plan to completely remove the door skin, fix the inner brace rattle, then reattach the door skin?

That is indeed what they quoted. For both doors. If I take it back and am unable to fix it I’m out of 100$ diagnostic fee or whatever it is these days for diagnostic. Plus I hear wind noise at 55 mph. It’s noticable. I may just have them do it and bite the cost on this one.

As for the wrap ppl. I could ask them and see what they say. But who knows.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:06 PM   #6
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
If the wrap folks pulled the mirrors, I bet they forgot to reinstall the foil like covering on the hole that gives you access to the mirror bolts. I suspect that is why it is there in the first place to eliminate the wind noise.
You can always pull the door panel off and see. It is not difficult. I believe there might be a thread on it in the forum. If not, I know there is a youtube video on "how to". When I changed my mirrors I ripped one of them, so I just used a couple of stripes of duct tape to cover the hole.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:09 PM   #7
activeSS

Drives: Radiant Red SS 1LE & ZL1
You couldn't take a door skin off and put it back on if you had to.

Try shooting some of the foam between the intrusion beam and the skin. I would also add some Q-pads to the skin to deaden it since you are going this far.
activeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:11 AM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
OP: Why isn't the wrap shop fixing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeSS View Post
You couldn't take a door skin off and put it back on if you had to.
Panel (interior) not skin (exterior).
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:15 AM   #9
NiteBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
OP: Why isn't the wrap shop fixing it?

Panel (interior) not skin (exterior).
I have no faith in them fixing it. Small mom n pop shop.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:52 AM   #10
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteBlitz View Post
I have no faith in them fixing it. Small mom n pop shop.
I have heard of stuff like this happening before with rattles and broken trim, etc after PPF and vinyl installs.

They want good customer service so are inclined to resolve it, and they do this day in day out so they have the experience. I would have more faith if I were you. All of these shops are mom and mom shops, but these guys take apart trim, door panels, etc. more often then the dealership techs do.

It shouldn't cost you anything to take it there, and I bet the chance of them fixing the issue is high - honestly you kind of owe it to them if they messed it up. Should be a learning process so they won't mess up the next one. If they don't fix it, I would leave them a bad review to spare others. With ppf and vinyl customer service is super important as you want to make sure if there is any lifting or other issues, you can take it back and they wont give you a hard time. this is vinyl/ppf basics for anyone who wants to get into it.
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:14 AM   #11
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
I have heard of stuff like this happening before with rattles and broken trim, etc after PPF and vinyl installs.

They want good customer service so are inclined to resolve it, and they do this day in day out so they have the experience. I would have more faith if I were you. All of these shops are mom and mom shops, but these guys take apart trim, door panels, etc. more often then the dealership techs do.

It shouldn't cost you anything to take it there, and I bet the chance of them fixing the issue is high - honestly you kind of owe it to them if they messed it up. Should be a learning process so they won't mess up the next one. If they don't fix it, I would leave them a bad review to spare others. With ppf and vinyl customer service is super important as you want to make sure if there is any lifting or other issues, you can take it back and they wont give you a hard time. this is vinyl/ppf basics for anyone who wants to get into it.

+1
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:17 AM   #12
Zone5

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Dodge TRX
I agree. Take it to the wrap shop and have them fix it. If the issue didn't exist before the wrap job, but did afterwards, then the wrap job caused the issue.
Zone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #13
NiteBlitz

A little more back story.

They were supposed to do some corrections on the wrap. Been waiting 3 months for them to have time. They also do commercial window tiniting. There’s only two of them. I believe that car wraps are about 15% of their business. I took the car back immediately after picking it up. They sent me to their mechanic who replaced a rubber piece they lost that goes on door handle. Mechanic wasn’t bad, seems like he knows his stuff. It improved the wind noise. I used to get noise at 20 mph. Now it doesn’t kick in till 60mph (the noise).

Anyways fast forward to this month. They set up a few times for me to come by to verify the wrap repairs. Canceled on me 3 times right now in the past 30 days because of being stuck on other jobs, none of which were in the shop, so I couldn’t just drop by. I didn’t want to fix the noise issue because they may have to remove the panels mirrors etc… again. But I can only be patient for so long and just threw in the towel. I used to enjoy driving the car, don’t get me wrong I still do. But the wind noise and noise in cabin in general, is so much louder then before. To give an example it’s like driving when you pull the rear seats down to get to the trunk. These cars are generally loud and I love it, but it just kills me to be driving it like this. Sounds like the window is slightly cracked open.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:36 AM   #14
lenix38

Drives: 2019 Camaro Zl1
Have the shop pay for the repair. They are liable for taking the car apart just like they are for any damage to the car while in there shop.

Bullets always have the right of way.....
lenix38 is offline   Reply With Quote