Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-23-2021, 11:03 PM   #1
Redline10000

Drives: Bmw M3
F80 M3 to ZL1 1LE

I am getting ready to place my order for a 2022 ZL1 1le in red hot, couldn't be more excited! I'm coming from a F80 M3 that I track regularly and I have a few questions that I have not seen answered yet. If thet have been, forgive me as I didn't find it ok the search.

1. The F80 has a lot of issues putting its power down either in a straight line or at corner exit on the track, especially with my tune. While test driving the ZLE on the street it seemed to put power down well but that could just be traction control and my not noticing it kicking in. How well does the ZLE put the power down when going 9/10ths at the track? How does it compare to the F80 in terms of traction?

2. How difficult is it to achieve the track times that you tend to see in the magazines? I know some cars are easier than others to reach their limits. Im a pretty good driver but I'm no Randy.

3. Given that this car has aero, do you have to drive it differently than a non aero car? I read that with big aero you have to try and maintain more speed to keep it effective. Not sure if that's the case here.

4. Will the ZLE have a harder time on smaller tracks like Club motorsport or Thompson speedway? My M3 tends to do very well there and I don't want to take a step back.

5. Can the ZLE hold its own at Autox? I run with local clubs and tend to run top of the pack. I'm not looking for FTD, just don't want to drop out of the top. The only classing we have is based on tire type, nothing really competitive.

Happy to hear any other feedback you all may have on the F80 vs ZLE on track. That's really my only concern. I love everything else about this car. Especially the shifter.
Redline10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:37 AM   #2
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
As an SS 1LE guy that races BMWs and other cars at AutoX, you are really going to struggle in a ZL1 1LE. It's already a struggle in a SS 1LE and a ZL1 will just turn up all the wrong attributes, weight, weight distribution, wheel+tire weight, stiff suspension, etc. Compliance on a lighter vehicle actually helps in AutoX and those giant wide tires on our car really fight quick direction changes in this setting. They scream as you try to yank the car back quickly around cones. 650hp does nothing for you in this format, the race is about carrying speed around and through turns and the turns of AutoX are too abrupt for a car tuned for high speed track stuff. Yes, our steering is great, our chassis is stiff, but its a wide heavy car on wide tires. Little bumps in the pavement that either wouldn't be there or would be handled better at higher speed won't get into the high speed damping realm as easily and will result in more chassis movement, because your forward speed isn't enough. More weight, especially on the front end, will be detrimental. Hate to be a nay-sayer, but the ZL1 1LE is just going to be further removed from what works well. 4cyl/V6 1LE is probably the best out of the Camaro chassis, mine in the middle, ZL1 1LE worst. Based on my experience and what other racers can do, you'd probably be better off renting an econobox and running that in AutoX.

On some of our bigger AutoX courses that approach tracks, I start getting a lot faster in raw time compared to the rest of the field.

On the high speed stuff, you'll be king.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:41 AM   #3
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
The ZL1 is designed to perform best on a road course, not Auto-X. If Auto-X is your thing, you want a Miata. The ZL1 puts it power down VERY well compared to most cars and you'll definitely see a performance increase over the BMW on a road course.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:41 AM   #4
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
The ZL1 is designed to perform best on a road course, not Auto-X. If Auto-X is your thing, you want a Miata. The ZL1 puts it power down VERY well compared to most cars and you'll definitely see a performance increase over the BMW on a road course.
That’s what I was thinking as well. On a road course my car feels great and performs very well. The stiffer shocks and more grip would only be an improvement from what I have.

My car is a SS non1LE with magride. a carbon copy of the motortrend car they used in the 2016 face off against the f80 m4 and they were pretty much dead nuts iirc. A zle with the stiff suspension, tires, alignment…would be a great upgrade for track use

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 09-24-2021 at 09:00 AM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:40 AM   #5
Redline10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
As an SS 1LE guy that races BMWs and other cars at AutoX, you are really going to struggle in a ZL1 1LE. It's already a struggle in a SS 1LE and a ZL1 will just turn up all the wrong attributes, weight, weight distribution, wheel+tire weight, stiff suspension, etc. Compliance on a lighter vehicle actually helps in AutoX and those giant wide tires on our car really fight quick direction changes in this setting. They scream as you try to yank the car back quickly around cones. 650hp does nothing for you in this format, the race is about carrying speed around and through turns and the turns of AutoX are too abrupt for a car tuned for high speed track stuff. Yes, our steering is great, our chassis is stiff, but its a wide heavy car on wide tires. Little bumps in the pavement that either wouldn't be there or would be handled better at higher speed won't get into the high speed damping realm as easily and will result in more chassis movement, because your forward speed isn't enough. More weight, especially on the front end, will be detrimental. Hate to be a nay-sayer, but the ZL1 1LE is just going to be further removed from what works well. 4cyl/V6 1LE is probably the best out of the Camaro chassis, mine in the middle, ZL1 1LE worst. Based on my experience and what other racers can do, you'd probably be better off renting an econobox and running that in AutoX.

On some of our bigger AutoX courses that approach tracks, I start getting a lot faster in raw time compared to the rest of the field.

On the high speed stuff, you'll be king.
Thanks for the input. I figured the weight would be buzz kill.I mostly track and rarely do autox so not the end of the world. Also autox courses around here are pretty open with us doing 70mph or more.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:47 AM   #6
Redline10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Autox is a filler when I don't have a track day. Good to know it will be a step up on the roadcorse over my M3. Is it good on the smaller courses ?
Old 09-24-2021, 08:33 AM   #7
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
As a former M3 owner myself, the SS/1LE and ZL1/1LE are compelling choices.

My ZL1/1LE is tremendous on the road course as it meant to pound the circuit to submission. That being said, I know lots of people who AutoX with no issues - It's no Miata or S2000 for sure.

The Alpha chassis paired with the 1LE calibrations make these cars the best M cars on sale today LOL.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:10 AM   #8
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline10000 View Post
Autox is a filler when I don't have a track day. Good to know it will be a step up on the roadcorse over my M3. Is it good on the smaller courses ?
It will perform well at Auto-X too but most Auto-X tracks are very small and tight. A smaller, lighter vehicle perform best there.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:55 AM   #9
Redline10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
As a former M3 owner myself, the SS/1LE and ZL1/1LE are compelling choices.

My ZL1/1LE is tremendous on the road course as it meant to pound the circuit to submission. That being said, I know lots of people who AutoX with no issues - It's no Miata or S2000 for sure.

The Alpha chassis paired with the 1LE calibrations make these cars the best M cars on sale today LOL.
Thanks for the input. Do you find this car easier to drive at the limit than the M3?
Old 09-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #10
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Having driven both on the track -

1) The ZLE will destroy the M3 on track
2) A tuned M3 comes off slower corners worse than the ZLE
3) The ZLE has better track electronics, hands down.
4) Finding the limit on the ZLE is quite a bit harder. I would say the ZLE is much more forgiving as you approach the limit. When the M3 breaks away, it is earlier and breaks away more.
5) Depending on your on track pace, the ZLE will go through more tires, but the M3 will go through more brakes.

Ken
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:44 AM   #11
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
On a road course the ZLE will destroy a M3.
Attached Images

Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:55 AM   #12
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Yeah the m3 is more in line with a non 1LE SS
Old 09-24-2021, 10:56 AM   #13
SoCal Smith

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
1. The F80 has a lot of issues putting its power down either in a straight line or at corner exit on the track, especially with my tune. While test driving the ZLE on the street it seemed to put power down well but that could just be traction control and my not noticing it kicking in. How well does the ZLE put the power down when going 9/10ths at the track? How does it compare to the F80 in terms of traction?

What kind of power was the M putting down? Are we talking stock 1LE vs tuned M?
Here is a video of my tuned 1LE at the track.(I am new to tracking)

2. How difficult is it to achieve the track times that you tend to see in the magazines? I know some cars are easier than others to reach their limits. Im a pretty good driver but I'm no Randy.

It all DRIVER car is just the tool, if you can’t stay on the line and figure out what the car is telling you; you will be slow

3. Given that this car has aero, do you have to drive it differently than a non aero car? I read that with big aero you have to try and maintain more speed to keep it effective. Not sure if that's the case here.

It has the power to back up the aero. I won’t go into the nuances of racing because we are all at different levels. (I am still new)

4. Will the ZLE have a harder time on smaller tracks like Club motorsport or Thompson speedway? My M3 tends to do very well there and I don't want to take a step back.

Not sure.

5. Can the ZLE hold its own at Autox? I run with local clubs and tend to run top of the pack. I'm not looking for FTD, just don't want to drop out of the top. The only classing we have is based on tire type, nothing really competitive.

Not sure
SoCal Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:08 PM   #14
Redline10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
Having driven both on the track -

1) The ZLE will destroy the M3 on track
2) A tuned M3 comes off slower corners worse than the ZLE
3) The ZLE has better track electronics, hands down.
4) Finding the limit on the ZLE is quite a bit harder. I would say the ZLE is much more forgiving as you approach the limit. When the M3 breaks away, it is earlier and breaks away more.
5) Depending on your on track pace, the ZLE will go through more tires, but the M3 will go through more brakes.

Ken
Thank you for the insight.Im am starting to feel much better about my decision to trade the M3. This car based on the two test drives I had feels like way more sports car than the M3/4.