Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Flow-tie, now what to do with it?

So I made a flow-tie last night from my stock front bow. I really like how it's turned out so far, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it now.

I know I don't want it chrome, so that's the first question: how do you prep this for paint? Would a light sanding work or would I need to find some sort of stripping agent? The chrome plating seems fairly durable and I know it would take quite a bit to get it scuffed up to be able to take paint.

Next, what color to I make it?
-Textured matte black to blend into the grill for more of a ghost look?
-Yellow to maintain the theme since everything else on the exterior is yellow/black
-Red as a "shout-out" to the Bumblebee in Transformers 2?
I'm leaning more towards the black or red simply because I know I won't be able to color match it very well and it would look bad if it doesn't match.

And finally, how the **** do I attach it? I'm thinking of epoxying a couple long, thin bolts (one on each end), then drilling matching holes in the grill, and using a washer/nut to "clamp" them on from the inside of the grill.

Here's a pic of the progress so far:

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build

Last edited by Dexman1349; 06-12-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Etching primer.

The usual way to mount is to get a Drake Bow-Tie Delete plate.

Keep in mind that this started years ago as the SSX bowtie.

sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
How did you cut the stock one?
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
How did you cut the stock one?
I used a Dremmel with a cutting wheel to cut most of it then used a small handsaw to get the corners. I then went around the inside with a good file to smooth it out. It took me close to 2 hours to get it all hollowed out and cleaned up.

Unfortunately, cutting off the back also completely removed all of the pegs/tabs that held the original in place...

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Old 06-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
Etching primer.

The usual way to mount is to get a Drake Bow-Tie Delete plate.
Unfortunately, I don't have my stock grill anymore. I have one that looks like it, but does not have any means to attach a bowtie to.

Here is a pic of what Bee looks like now (avatar is an old pic)
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...33&postcount=1

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
The plastic chrome usually comes off by soaking the part in bleach. Yep, good ole Clorox. Let it sit overnight. May need a little bit of scotch-bright pad, but it will all come off.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Nice tip!
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS M6 & '70 Chevelle SS
Send a message to Denis on here... he did one like this and found a good way to attach it.

Class 1 Freight Rail Conductor - Master Mason - NRA Life Member - Tennessee Squire - Firefighter I & II Certified

My other ride has 4,400+hp and corners like it's on rails... because it is.
Est.July.4.1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Est.July.4.1776 View Post
Send a message to Denis on here... he did one like this and found a good way to attach it.
you rang?!?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354037

hope that helps!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #10
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Yeah, I pretty much did the exact same thing and have it up to the paint part right now. Problem I'm facing is that I don't have that grille anymore so I can't use the bowtie delete kit.

I'm sure I'll get something figured out...

Thanks for the help!!

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Old 06-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
oooooooh i got ya. i just looked at your signature pic and saw the OE grill. hmmmmm.

i think someone did something with the Zl1 grill too. you need to cut the center out of the grill though. not sure if thats something you want to do.