Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
ZL1Fan24

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Lightweight Mods

Looking for feedback on a few lightweight ZL1 modifications to reduce weight and rotational mass;

1. RPS Billet Carbon Twin Clutch with Aluminum Flywheel
2. Carbon Fiber Dive Shaft
3. Forgeline Monoblock GS1R Wheels

Anyone have have any feedback/experience with any of these specific modifications? Not inexpensive mods, so looking for feedback from the forum before making any investments.
***2018 ZL1, CALLAWAY SC750, NFG, 6 Speed, Carbon Fiber Hood Insert, PDR, Carbon Fiber Dash, Tony Mamo V2 TB, Borla S-Type Cat Back Exhaust (Carbon Tips), Hurst Short Shifter, Eibach Performance Springs, IROC Blade Spoiler, GM Dark Lens Kit/Reflectors, Diode Dynamics Smoked LED Side Markers, Wildhammer Carbon Steering Wheel, CF Shift Knob, Titanium Lug Nuts***
ZL1Fan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:37 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
I don’t have any experience on the above.

Keep lithium lightweight battery in mind though
Old 03-30-2020, 09:22 PM   #3
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Just my opinion but doing stuff like that can be a whole lot of money for an increase in performance that's usually not proportional. You're probably in it for what, $6k-$7k for the clutch and wheels alone? If you're already going to be doing mods as supporting parts then that may be different. The Camaro is always going to be a big girl.

Lightweight flywheels can really change how the engine behaves, some people like it and others do not. Also, I'm rusty on my carbon driveshaft info but they can have some tradeoffs as well.

Just my $.02.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:08 AM   #4
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
I agree with Can'tHave2MuchHP except on the wheels, if you're already in the market for a set of 18" track wheels this is a good way to save unsprung weight--Forgeline are very expensive so unless money is no object, BC Forged are better bang for the buck

I'd also recommend a nice set of Sparco racing seats and rear seat delete, that should save a lot of weight and create a much better driver platform for the track. The stability from a seat like that with a 6 point harness can save you 1+ seconds, and prevent injury.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:11 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
If you are serious about wanting to lightweight a ZL1, then watch the COPO assembly videos.

They:
1. cut out a LOT of steel.
2. remove the interior, especially front seats & carpets, etc. which are quite heavy.
3. take out all of the electronics, AC, airbags, nonessential accessories like wiper motors, etc.
and
4. add only weight where it improves power and traction.

Do all this and you end up with an 8 second (or better) car, albeit not street legal.

Not wanting to go to this extreme? Well then just take out the seats and do a catback exhaust. Cut some rotational mass with skinnies for another tenth, and toss on some sticky DRs out back for yet another. That's 200+ lbs. right there, is relatively cheap and 100% reversible, and you don't have to mess with expensive warranty-voiding mods to the drivetrain.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
I good set of lightweight wheels is your best bet for unsprung weight savings. Start there. After that it's easier to just add more horsepower. I'm sure you don't want to whore out your Callaway package to much but spinning that blower a little harder is your best bet.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:47 AM   #7
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Fan24 View Post
Looking for feedback on a few lightweight ZL1 modifications to reduce weight and rotational mass;

1. RPS Billet Carbon Twin Clutch with Aluminum Flywheel
2. Carbon Fiber Dive Shaft
3. Forgeline Monoblock GS1R Wheels

Anyone have have any feedback/experience with any of these specific modifications? Not inexpensive mods, so looking for feedback from the forum before making any investments.
How much weight would you save with each of your choices?
For example, what do the stock wheels weigh vs the Forgelines?
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:47 PM   #8
Silver Spear

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Question, How durable are carbon fiber drive shaft as a DD? I was told that having a carbon fiber drive shaft as a DD might cause problem in the long term. A slight tear in the carbon fiber weave will unravel and cause failure for the drive shaft.Its because we accidentally run over road debris and that road debris is going to hit the carbon fiber and all hell going to break loose. It was also mention that carbon fiber drive shaft is best fit for racing only not DD.
Silver Spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:32 PM   #9
dcxeternal

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I don’t have any experience on the above.

Keep lithium lightweight battery in mind though
Agree here. This is the most weight you can save per dollar
Old 03-31-2020, 09:46 PM   #10
ZL1Fan24

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Which lithium lightweight battery do you recommend for the ZL1 Camaro?
***2018 ZL1, CALLAWAY SC750, NFG, 6 Speed, Carbon Fiber Hood Insert, PDR, Carbon Fiber Dash, Tony Mamo V2 TB, Borla S-Type Cat Back Exhaust (Carbon Tips), Hurst Short Shifter, Eibach Performance Springs, IROC Blade Spoiler, GM Dark Lens Kit/Reflectors, Diode Dynamics Smoked LED Side Markers, Wildhammer Carbon Steering Wheel, CF Shift Knob, Titanium Lug Nuts***
ZL1Fan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:02 AM   #11
dcxeternal

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Fan24 View Post
Which lithium lightweight battery do you recommend for the ZL1 Camaro?
I would go with Antigravity ATX20-HD Battery. Its 5lbs and 900cca
Probably wouldnt go with the ones that have their restart tech.
It didnt work well with the electronics on my supercharged V8 M3 but it was also one of their much older models.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:22 AM   #12
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
here is a lithium I'm trying out.. same size as original, 1300 CCA, fits real nice, 33lbs saved weight.. I have been running it for a week, so far its great. no issues, starts up faster and stronger than stock battery
my car sits for days at a time.. no issues so far

I can get these for about $500 plus shipping if anyone is interested but I wanted to do a little long term testing first
Attached Images

DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #13
IsaacLt1

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss
Can you send me the link to the battery I may be needing one soon and doesn’t hurt to shed a few lbs either
IsaacLt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #14
Alponcho

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Thanks for testing out this battery. Really curious to to see how it does over the summer here in AZ. Saw something that looked similar on eBay, and was thinking about pulling the trigger.
Alponcho is offline   Reply With Quote