Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-30-2020, 07:34 AM   #29
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
If memory serves, the 2LT has all of the creature comforts of the 2SS. But, with the 3.6 V6 that runs on regular gas and gets close to 34mpg.

I submit that would make a great commuter car as well.
Plus one on this and also based on gas mileage and thirst of the V8 with premium gas. . This is my commuter- 1LT, V6, M6, regular gas, 33 MPG (average) and as a bonus it has limited slip differential. So fun to drive. I drive a lot of miles commuting and have to rotate between 2 cars. I would love to have one nice truck or a car with a V8 but the MPG together with depreciation from the high miles kills it. I did the math factoring in gas, depreciation of the vehicle with the very high miles and it was actually cheaper to have 2 cars with excellent gas mileage than one with average MPG (16-20). I rotate with the Camaro and a GTI. The Camaro runs on regular gas which is a huge help. The GTI I run 89 and right now it is .40 more than regular. Premium is 1.00 more. But the overall cost is the same as the Camaro nets 33 MPG and the GTI around 40 MPG.

A guy I work with has a Scat Pack Challenger- commute almost as long as mine. Really nice car but......he drives it with a heavy foot and blows by me every time like I am standing still. He might burn more gas in one day than I do four.

If you can afford the premium gas and the depreciation, then yes an LT1 is a great choice. The Turbo 4 would not be my choice at all as it is only a 4, gets about the same MPG as a V6 anyway and the V6 burns regular gas.

Last edited by JT58; 03-30-2020 at 07:44 AM.
JT58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:05 AM   #30
HypeBlueZL1

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I would stick with the C5. They are pretty reliable cars and the things that do go wrong are easy and cheap to fix. I would avoid FCA products at all costs. I had an SRT8 Grand Cherokee and while it was a great ride it had waaaay too many issues. Sold it at 60k miles.
HypeBlueZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #31
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HypeBlueZL1 View Post
I would stick with the C5. They are pretty reliable cars and the things that do go wrong are easy and cheap to fix. I would avoid FCA products at all costs. I had an SRT8 Grand Cherokee and while it was a great ride it had waaaay too many issues. Sold it at 60k miles.
Crazy thing I told a friend of mine I was thinking of selling my Corvette and he wrote me a check right then and there so I guess its sold now. They are great cars and I have had zero issues but driving a 20 year old car as many miles as I drive is a bit of a gamble.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #32
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
If memory serves, the 2LT has all of the creature comforts of the 2SS. But, with the 3.6 V6 that runs on regular gas and gets close to 34mpg.

I submit that would make a great commuter car as well.
Ill bet that the V6 would keep with a C5 Corvette all day long heck might be faster but I just like the sound and feel of a V8. I know I won't be happy with a V6. I tried to look at a LT1 today but my local dealer doesn't have any and would need to transfer one over. The list was 37,390 and they came down to 35K and pretty much held tight. Dodge was much more willing to work. I was thinking maybe wait another week or so and see whats happening in this crazy world right now. I still have my SUV to drive that gets 12mpg.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #33
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
1LT 1LE

Gees, I would love to have a little turbo 4 cylinder 1LE. I think it would be the ideal daily driver.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:31 AM   #34
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
C5 so esay to fix anything on it, except the trans.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #35
MRLZL1LE

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5 View Post
Theoretically, a Challenger/Charger sounds like a good option but I would have serious reservations about long-term reliability. The V8 engines are reliable, but nearly everything surrounding those engines is junk.
AGREE! I own a 2019 ram 1500 with Hemi and really wish i would have just got another Silverado. The Ram had more features but radio stopped working after 1 week of driving and i had to send in for warranty. I mean its not bad but I guess I am just a Chevy guy to the core and wish i paid a little more for the Silverado.
Rotofab, Ported TB, 2.3 Pulley, ATI balancer w DSX 9.06 Lower ring, LME heads, 2" Kooks, custom cam, DOD Delete, Cordes Low side fuel system, Flex Fuel Kit, MM Catch can, ZL1 addons tow hook, ZL1 addons rock gaurds, Diode dynamics blacked out side markers
MRLZL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #36
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
I know you want a V8, but consider a Kia Stinger GT as well. It should be an excellent grand touring car for long commutes, has an awesome warranty, and is still very sporty despite its weight. Its performance numbers are not far off from the Dodge Scat Packs, but it has a much nice interior than them IMHO.

Also has a liftback/hatch, allowing much more cargo space. You can get it with RWD or AWD.

If you don't like the 'Kia' name then de-badge it or swap to the Korean Stinger badge lol.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #37
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
On second thought a Charger Hellcat Widebody would make a killer daily. Plenty of room for 4 and 4 sets of clubs will fit in the trunk for a foursome. But you might need to wait until next year to get together with 3 friends.

Gas is cheap and so are most cars right now.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:23 PM   #38
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
I know you want a V8, but consider a Kia Stinger GT as well. It should be an excellent grand touring car for long commutes, has an awesome warranty, and is still very sporty despite its weight. Its performance numbers are not far off from the Dodge Scat Packs, but it has a much nice interior than them IMHO.

Also has a liftback/hatch, allowing much more cargo space. You can get it with RWD or AWD.

If you don't like the 'Kia' name then de-badge it or swap to the Korean Stinger badge lol.
KIa is getting cred! And the Stinger is comparing favorably to the 3 series right now. And with just some turbo tweaking they will run low 12s and run with Stock SSes and Rustang GTs.

Try to find a Stinger GTS and do some drifting! Awesome value.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ecial-edition/
Old 04-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #39
Malbjey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
KIa is getting cred! And the Stinger is comparing favorably to the 3 series right now. And with just some turbo tweaking they will run low 12s and run with Stock SSes and Rustang GTs.

Try to find a Stinger GTS and do some drifting! Awesome value.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ecial-edition/
Yep--forgot to mention that as well! Being turbo from the factory will allow easy power mods.

If we don't get a 7th Gen Camaro I am going to be looking very hard at a Charger Scat Pack and Stinger GT.

From all the reviews I've read/seen, the Stinger GT seems way more tossable than the Scat Pack so it should be even more fun on twisty back roads.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:37 PM   #40
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yeah if you want to spend 40 plus thousand dollars for a Kia Stinger then by all means go for it! The Op wants a V8, not a Turbo 4 or V6!!
Old 04-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #41
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
I like the exotic look of the LT1. Reminds me of what I thought of the Gen 5 Camaro.

The look of the 16-18 Camaros is chiseled and meant to look more athletic but it also looks fragile.

Just my 2 cents.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:08 AM   #42
Malbjey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Yeah if you want to spend 40 plus thousand dollars for a Kia Stinger then by all means go for it! The Op wants a V8, not a Turbo 4 or V6!!
You do NOT need to spend 40K on a Kia Stinger GT (twin turbo V6 model). You can realistically buy one in the mid to upper 30s.

It's just like the Scat Packs. Their MSRPs are 40K+, but realistically you are going to pay less. I do think Dodge gives deeper discounts than Kia, but you also have to look at other expenses like insurance, gas etc.