Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 04-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #57
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
The Bose amp is still installed. The wires carrying signal leaving the bose were cut, and tied off. And the amps connect to those wires (post Bose Amp) and is sending signals to the rest of the speakers. We realized early in the install that we had to keep the factory Amp plugged in as a lot of system information runs through there , including the ANC system. But yes, noise cancellaion is still working. I have heard an incorrectly installed system where noise cancellation was disabled, and the car sounds very different.
I guess I don't understand this line:
Quote:
The wires carrying signal leaving the bose were cut, and tied off. And the amps connect to those wires (post Bose Amp) and is sending signals to the rest of the speakers.
If you bypass the Bose amp, you bypass ANC. The ANC happens in the amp. The amp doesn't send a signal back, it modifies the signal and sends it to the speakers. If you pick up the signal prior to the amp, you aren't getting the ANC.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #58
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
I guess I don't understand this line:

If you bypass the Bose amp, you bypass ANC. The ANC happens in the amp. The amp doesn't send a signal back, it modifies the signal and sends it to the speakers. If you pick up the signal prior to the amp, you aren't getting the ANC.

-Geoff
In a normal setup, you are right, but you have to remember, the use of the M650-GM is a different scenario. Using the Nav-Tv piece, you are sending signals to the OEM Amplifier, but also directly to the sound processor in a dual path. Every signal, tone, etc that would be going to the OEM amplifier is also going to the aftermarket amplifier because of this setup.

The Bose amp is spidered into everything sending signals regarding on/off status, etc. So when we unplugged it, thinking that we didn't need it, we had reduced system functionality. The dings, backup sounds, etc did not work. When we plugged it back in, it all worked perfectly. The only thing we could deduce is that there are some weird feedback signals that require the OEM amp to be plugged in in order for them to continue to function. The source of the signal is still the OEM headunit, which is still sending a digital signal out via Tos-link.

I wish I had a better answer for you, and could explain why the amp is necessary for correct function of the system. But rather than try to figure out why, we simply observed that we needed it, and kept it plugged in.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #59
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
In a normal setup, you are right, but you have to remember, the use of the M650-GM is a different scenario. Using the Nav-Tv piece, you are sending signals to the OEM Amplifier, but also directly to the sound processor in a dual path. Every signal, tone, etc that would be going to the OEM amplifier is also going to the aftermarket amplifier because of this setup.

The Bose amp is spidered into everything sending signals regarding on/off status, etc. So when we unplugged it, thinking that we didn't need it, we had reduced system functionality. The dings, backup sounds, etc did not work. When we plugged it back in, it all worked perfectly. The only thing we could deduce is that there are some weird feedback signals that require the OEM amp to be plugged in in order for them to continue to function. The source of the signal is still the OEM headunit, which is still sending a digital signal out via Tos-link.

I wish I had a better answer for you, and could explain why the amp is necessary for correct function of the system. But rather than try to figure out why, we simply observed that we needed it, and kept it plugged in.
Ok, let me bring some clarity to what’s going on.

First, the MOST network is a ring topology. When you add the Nav-TV, it is being added to the ring in front of the Bose amplifier. Everybody on an unmodified ring has a node address that is assigned when the ring starts up.the head unit, which is the master (node address 100), know that the amplifier is(or supposed to be) at node address 101. The Bose amp will take address 101 at ring startup. And the next device would 102, and so on. When you insert the Nav-TV in between the head unit and the Bose amp, the Nav-TV grabs node 101. The head unit doesn’t know that the Bose amp is now at node 102. The head unit make the audio sink connection to node 101(which it hardcodded to know that is the Bose amplifier, in this case), so the Nav-TV takes the audio packet off the ring and processes the audio, which were intended for the Bose amp.

Second, why do chimes and beeps only work when the Bose amp is installed? The Bose amp generates the tones internally. The commands of what tones to generate for a specific function are sent to the Bose amp via the CAN bus. Cars used to have chime modules. With DSPs, it’s just a software function now.

Third, and last, whether you are listening to the stereo, or not, the Bose amp is always listening with the microphones, and generating an interference signal to the speakers. The ANC is always active, whether the head unit is on or off.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:08 PM   #60
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
Ok, let me bring some clarity to what’s going on.

First, the MOST network is a ring topology. When you add the Nav-TV, it is being added to the ring in front of the Bose amplifier. Everybody on an unmodified ring has a node address that is assigned when the ring starts up.the head unit, which is the master (node address 100), know that the amplifier is(or supposed to be) at node address 101. The Bose amp will take address 101 at ring startup. And the next device would 102, and so on. When you insert the Nav-TV in between the head unit and the Bose amp, the Nav-TV grabs node 101. The head unit doesn’t know that the Bose amp is now at node 102. The head unit make the audio sink connection to node 101(which it hardcodded to know that is the Bose amplifier, in this case), so the Nav-TV takes the audio packet off the ring and processes the audio, which were intended for the Bose amp.

Second, why do chimes and beeps only work when the Bose amp is installed? The Bose amp generates the tones internally. The commands of what tones to generate for a specific function are sent to the Bose amp via the CAN bus. Cars used to have chime modules. With DSPs, it’s just a software function now.

Third, and last, whether you are listening to the stereo, or not, the Bose amp is always listening with the microphones, and generating an interference signal to the speakers. The ANC is always active, whether the head unit is on or off.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the clarification!
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:30 PM   #61
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Thank you for the clarification!
Anytime
Old 11-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #62
Spectre130

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Is there any way to get any other setting than talk as a preset? I have talk and custom. That's it
Attached Images

Spectre130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #63
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
My setup is bass +1 treble +9 and mid +1, brought the fade to 3 to the rear. This bose system is setup like a concert hall. Really wish they could've made it more surround style. Cant hear the rears at all unless I'm near to it.
Knockoff zl1 sideskirts, gm front chin spoiler, 1le blade spoiler, diode sides, 20" staggered Asanti black labels, azenis 510 245/40/20 fronts, goodrich comp sport 2s 275/35/20 rears, fifty brembos front, 13.6" slotted and drilled powerstop rotors
Davescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:58 AM   #64
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
My set-up is Bass +9, Mid +3, and Treble +6 with the Fader at dead center.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:08 PM   #65
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Talking

My set up (like Dr. Feelgood) is GIVE UP - take the PLUNGE and EXPUNGE!!!

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561714

Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote