Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-31-2024, 09:43 AM   #1
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
To bleed, or not to bleed the clutch?

When the dealer installed my second engine, I followed Camaro6 forum member advice and had them add a TIC remote bleeder line to the M6. It's been 14 track days and 10,000 miles since then, and I've not had any problems yet with shifting or clutch engagement. But since I do my own maintenance (including the brake fluid using a Motive pressure bleeder), I that leaves me wondering:

1) Is there any reason I should bleed the clutch if I'm not having any current problems?
2) Given the remote bleeder set up that I have (attached to bleed port on the trans housing), what would be the procedure to bleed the clutch? Is it as simple as opening the remote bleed valve with the system pressurized from the Motive tank (the same as with the brake calipers)? Would I also have to push the clutch pedal down before fluid will move?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 04:09 AM   #2
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Yes. Definitely bleed the clutch on a regular basis if you are tracking your Camaro. That remote bleeder makes it VERY easy. It has a check ball in it so you can do one person bleeding. Just crack it open and push the clutch pedal to the floor and release once or twice. I track my C5 Z06 pretty aggressively so I bleed it after 3 or 4 tack days. Nothing too crazy but a few squirts into a small container and then I top off the fluid level. Unlike our Camaros the C5 has a separate reservoir for the clutch so I do a complete flush once a season. I also do a quick bleed of the brakes during my nut and bolt safety checks prior to each track day. I use Motul 600 brake fluid for both systems.
Old 04-01-2024, 05:01 PM   #3
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Don't know the answer to your question, but I've never bled my clutch in the 2+ years I've tracked my car. I also keep my change interval between 6-12 months (tracking once or twice per month) and I've never had brakes issues.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 10:00 PM   #4
N Camarolina

Thanks for the replies so far.

I assume the benefit will be to remove whatever clutch dust finds it's way into the brake fluid. But I honestly don't know how much dust to reasonably expect and what effect it would have on clutch operation.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:11 AM   #5
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Never have bleed the clutch in my 6 years of tracking it.

It might be advisable if you're having issues like:
spongy clutch pedal or a slipping clutch that can't fully engage, etc.
Old 04-03-2024, 02:53 PM   #6
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Personally I wouldn’t tinker with it unless something isn’t working right. My philosophy with cars is if it ain’t broke don’t mess with it. The one guy who said to bleed mentioned he tracks a c5 z06. I looked into buying one of those a few years ago when I got my last 6th Gen. The c5 z06 has probably the worst hydraulic clutch system known to man. When that car first came out owners were bleeding their clutch in between drag strip passes. I believe GM learned a lot from that car’s hydraulic setup and used what they learned on their later setups. I love the way 6th gens shift.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 11:36 PM   #7
N Camarolina

Thanks everyone. Since the concensus is don't bother flushing/bleeding the clutch operation is currently fine, I'll take that advice and save myself some time!