Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-19-2021, 08:26 PM   #1
UTURNMOTORSPORTS

Drives: Red Camaro
Lt1 to m6 trans help

Hi I was wondering ASAP if anyone knew if it was possible to drop a motor in the car with the transmission already inside the car. And if so how hard is it. Also is it possible if I drop the front cradle and how do you drop the front cradle. Or is it easier removing the trans and mounting it onto engine and remounting everything. Everything would be done in driveway btw. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UTURNMOTORSPORTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:03 AM   #2
Robby23

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
so i pulled engine on jack stands. i pulled from top side with cherry picker. loosened cradle and dropped only like an inch or so. removed bell housing bolts. disconnected shifter and a couple lines attached to trans and the trans crossmember. tilt the trans quite a bit a good 45 degrees to the engine. i just put a jack under it to drop is slow. then you can split the trans/engine leaving trans in car.
2018 1SS M6 - OTR intake, HI Ram intake, Ceramic Coated TSP Headers Catless, AWE Touring Axle-Back, Flex Fuel, Pray Performace stage 3 cam, TSP ported heads, Pray Ported 95MM TB and Ported HI-RAM. SJM Line-Lock. F14 Drag Pack 17's with front skinnies. Tuned by Pray Performance.
Robby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #3
UTURNMOTORSPORTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby23 View Post
so i pulled engine on jack stands. i pulled from top side with cherry picker. loosened cradle and dropped only like an inch or so. removed bell housing bolts. disconnected shifter and a couple lines attached to trans and the trans crossmember. tilt the trans quite a bit a good 45 degrees to the engine. i just put a jack under it to drop is slow. then you can split the trans/engine leaving trans in car.

You’ll need to loosen the coil overs to allow it to drop a inch right?

Old 02-20-2021, 04:55 PM   #4
UTURNMOTORSPORTS

Nvm guys it’s possible to pull engine and trans apart without touching any trans wiring or anything. And easy af to install engine to trans with trans already in car untouched. All you need to do is lower the cross member enough for engine to slide into shaft of trans.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:13 AM   #5
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTURNMOTORSPORTS View Post
Nvm guys it’s possible to pull engine and trans apart without touching any trans wiring or anything. And easy af to install engine to trans with trans already in car untouched. All you need to do is lower the cross member enough for engine to slide into shaft of trans.

How long did it take you? How high is your garage also? And does anyone ever remove the hood? I guess you don't have to but im not sure if it might give a little extra room so you aren't as cramped trying to pull it out.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:47 AM   #6
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
How long did it take you? How high is your garage also? And does anyone ever remove the hood? I guess you don't have to but im not sure if it might give a little extra room so you aren't as cramped trying to pull it out.

I recommend removing the heads with the motor still in the car. This frees up a bunch of space. Without heads, the motor will tilt back further increasing the clearance between the oil pan and cradle. You still need to lower the cradle, and even then, it’s close.

I did the opposite when reinstalling my motor. The added clearance when dealing with just the short block makes recoupling the trans and installing the bell housing bolts a much easier. The extra room is nice when reinstalling the starter, motor mounts and other miscellaneous items. Torqueing the head bolts is easier with motor in the car also. Fighting the torque wrench while trying to keep the engine stand from rotating or tipping can be a bit of a challenge.

It probably took me around three hours to pull my motor. Removing the headers, belt driven accessories, wiring connectors etc. took the most time. Once everything was disconnected, unbolting the trans, dropping the cradle, and pulling the short block took 30 minutes or less. I did remove my hood, it’s very light and simple one-man operation. My garage ceiling is probably around eight to nine feet. Clearance for the engine hoist boom was not an issue at all, even with the car raised ~24” on jack stands.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:52 AM   #7
UTURNMOTORSPORTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post

I did mine in a slanted driveway. Taking motor out took me all day because Iv never removed one from a camaro b4 and there was a lot of connectors that was pretty tricky to get to. But I removed it with my hood on no issues with the engine hoist hitting the hood. Installing was the easiest and took only bout a hour and a half once I dropped the cradle able a inch and a half. Engine slid in with ease and everything was a breeze from there. I also installed motor completed without the supercharger of course. Heads and acc. Was installed prior to install.