Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 02-18-2021, 07:08 PM   #15
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Yes indeed. XM is not very good quality, especially on their rock stations. It seems to me like their jazz and symphony stations are better. I'm not sure why they'd do it like that, though. But anyway, bluetooth is a little bit better, depending on the recording quality; and USB sources with good recordings are quite a bit better.
ya - I wonder if playing from an itunes app via cable is better than over BT. Probably it is. I will plug it in next time play via car-play.

Getting the sub mounted in the enclosure - they don't come with screws and I only had 4 with small enough flat heads, which is enough to hold it in place for initial testing until I can get to the HW store.

And yes - I was playing rock stations and agree seems those are pretty terrible quality. The Highway is a lot better and I don't think it's just the songs themselves.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:13 PM   #16
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
ya - I wonder if playing from an itunes app via cable is better than over BT. Probably it is. I will plug it in next time play via car-play.
Good question. I haven't tried any direct comparisons of the same file via Carplay vs straight off a flash drive. I guess it depends on whether iTunes (on the phone) and/or Carplay jack with the data in any way. If they don't, then it should be the same. I'll have to try comparison that someday.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:55 PM   #17
c4racer

Seems to me in theory at least it should be the same.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #18
c4racer

Ok - update - I got the JL Audio sub and loaded into the .6CF truck box which fits just under the top at 8.25" tall on the back corner.

10W1V3-4 sub. Shallow mount. Needs 4.6" space - box was set-up for that perfectly.

Ran Red Barchetta for initial set-up levels and dialed that all in at least as a baseline.
I am running it a bit more bass that it needs sitting still - because that tends to go away once you start driving - especially in a convertible. I played with top up and down - didn't notice all that much difference when playing from the phone as a source. Still over BT since I didn't have a cable in the car - need to grab it from my truck and test that out still.

Set the treble and bass to flat and took maybe 20% of the mids out and put the fader about 50% towards front - I am running rear fills from the factory amp and just don't want them to distort. I'm not sure they are necessary at all honestly but for now I'll leave them on.

So once I got that song sounding great - really sounded fantastic too - great balance and solid bottom end - not as slamming as some previous systems I have put together but more than adequate for my needs here and given the space we have to deal with that's all I can realistically do.

Lets see - then played these songs:
Toto - Rosanna
Styx - Fooling Yourself
Pink Floyd - On the Turning Away and Learning to Fly (go to song for dialing in thump)
Then a few tunes from Maroon V's first album
Then some MJ - Thriller, Billy Jean, How you make me feel (plenty of bass for that one)
Then some Jeff Lorber Tune 88 to hear how the imaging and sound stage was working -
Quite well thank you very much - very impressive - these Focals really sound nice.
And final demo song was Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody
Which had too much bass maybe - but again this was sitting still in the garage with the top open.

So far on initial set-up very happy with the system. Need to live with it for a bit.
You can't dial in sub level for all music though - which is why I got the pro version of that LC2i box which has a little sub level knob to install in the cabin connected via RJ11 to tweak it a bit either direction from a baseline set-up. I think that will be useful.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:41 PM   #19
c4racer

a bit more tweaking and got it sounding pretty good overall - it has plenty of impact and SPL for top down freeway driving. The only concern now is not cranking it up all the time so my ears are ringing afterwards!

I ended up boosting the amp gain on the front speakers 3 notches, boosting mid range maybe 10% and reducing low and high about 5% from flat on the factory EQ. That helped balance the upper bass frequencies which are still a bit overboosted. To get things perfect I will likely need a full EQ - but for now it sounds fantastic and I am just chasing that last 5-10% of perfection.