Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 09-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
MSD help!

After having an MSD intake manifold ported and installed, it developed a vacuum leak somewhere which I found was common with these things. So, I pulled out the instructions and went to tighten things down. I'm not sure if I screwed it up or if the hardware was wrong. One of the bolts on the top of the intake stripped the threads after a few turns. It kind of looked like the bolt slipped through the threads once it got down deep enough. As far as replacing the threads, I'm not sure that could be done. Thought of maybe retapping them and going to a slightly bigger bolt? Anybody else ran into this? Google yielded very few results. Some c6 vette guys had similar issues but never posted a real solution except one getting a replacement manifold from msd. I don't think that's an option for me, considering I may be the one who broke it. I guess what I'm wanting to know is if I'm going to have to buy a new manifold with the cam kit I just ordered. I'm just going to give up wrenching. I rarely have the time these days and I usually end up breaking something when I try. Lol.

Stock. For now...
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #2
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
the tq for those bolts is...75 inch lb i believe. i can't imagine the threaded insert is made to withstand much abuse. do you have any pics? have you taken it apart?
Old 09-14-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
red70tvhs
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
the tq for those bolts is...75 inch lb i believe. i can't imagine the threaded insert is made to withstand much abuse. do you have any pics? have you taken it apart?
Pics wouldn't really do any good as you can't see the stripped threads. They are towards the bottom. I didn't crank the bejesus out of them as I was trying to avoid this. To be honest, when it happened, the bolt didn't even feel as snug as the other two.

I haven't taken the manifold apart and I probably won't myself. I don't really have the time but I thought retorquing a few bolts should be no problem. I'll most likely just let the shop installing my cam and heads clean up my mess in exchange for a few doll hairs.

Stock. For now...
Old 09-14-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
Shit can it and get an LT2 manifold, or contact the manufacturer, they might help you if you ask, doesn't hurt to try/
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #5
red70tvhs
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersportss View Post
Shit can it and get an LT2 manifold, or contact the manufacturer, they might help you if you ask, doesn't hurt to try/
I won't be giving up the gains a ported MSD makes over the Lt2 in any form. It may be marginal but they are there. Some people may be happy with an Lt2 for the money, but I'm not.

The shop that installed it is going to fix it when they do cam and heads in December. I don't really drive the car much at all, so it'll be fine until then. I just won't beat on it.

Stock. For now...
Old 09-15-2020, 08:36 PM   #6
Ajs16400

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible
I would be double thinking about allowing that shop to touch the car again. If they messed up a simple intake job can only worry what they will do with the complex cam and head install.
Ajs16400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #7
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
I believe the instructions were to re torque twice at Set intervals was that accomplished?
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:14 AM   #8
NA18CamaroSS

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
My MSD also developed a leak. The design leaves a little to be desired. The manifold has two basic pieces-the top and bottom, which are sealed by a rubber gasket and held together by relatively small allen head bolts. The design is flawed in this way: the bolts are not evenly spaced around the manifold-there is a big gap at the rear. I have highlighted the problem area in red; this is where my intake manifold was leaking. It seems as though MSD is relying on the bolts that secure the manifold to the engine to compress and seal that area.
I sealed the leak using RTV silicon, which I applied all of the way around the gasket. Another problem spot is the throttle body area-the gasket does not want to stay in the corners, it wants to pop out.
The reason that I discovered the leak is that my fuel trims at idle were + 30 percent and I spent a good deal of time trying to tune the fuel at idle to correct the problem. After removing and resealing the intake manifold my fuel trims at idle dropped to -4 percent. A 34 percent switch. Just an FYI for those running this intake manifold.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #9
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
you can order the 3 center pedestals from MSD, they are replaceable. Mine were shiznet the fist time out of the box. I believe I tapped the inserts to 1 size larger screws and never looked back, I don't mess with the inch pound torque (unless you have a snapon digital 1/4 torque wrench, actually I still have an old bar beam 1/4 one that works well enough), I now hand tighten them and have not had a problem again. So IMO the problem is the top screws are just too thin for the brass inserts at spec torque. There is LOTS of room, I have no idea why MSD went with such a thin screw and a brass insert.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote