Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #1
steve-a-reeno

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible RS
New Spec-D Sequential Tail Lights

I just installed the Spec-D Sequential Tail Lights. I love the look, but have concerns about the behavior of the lights during braking. When applying the brakes, (1) the sequential animation turns on, (2) the sequential animation turns off, then (3) the Spec-D brake LEDs turn on. My concern is that this unusual behavior might cause drivers behind me to become confused and possibly hit me. Also, when releasing the brake when the lights are on, there is a delay before the running lights turn back on.

I'm interested to hear others' feedback. I've emailed Spec-D about possibly modifying the behavior of the light, but I've not received a response.

Here is a video that I took that shows all of the functions of the tail light: https://youtu.be/ylJBHBvdgJw
Old 05-01-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Too Mustang for me, but look professional. What part or MD you in? Grew up in South Baltimore Suburbs.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #3
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
I think they look good. I wouldn't worry about the actions, they seem fine! I personally don't think they are as bright as stock tail lights. Hard to see on a bright sunny day. Look at your taillight brightness compared to your 3rd brake light. They do look sharp, and I hope you are happy with them.
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
Oramac2016

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
Here are my modded factory tails.

https://youtu.be/65pl2H85ks8

https://youtu.be/dH-yT2odS3o
Old 05-07-2020, 06:39 AM   #5
steve-a-reeno

Oramac2016, those look great.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:48 AM   #6
steve-a-reeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb54 View Post
I think they look good. I wouldn't worry about the actions, they seem fine! I personally don't think they are as bright as stock tail lights. Hard to see on a bright sunny day. Look at your taillight brightness compared to your 3rd brake light. They do look sharp, and I hope you are happy with them.
@Jb54, I've decided to return these lights for the reason you pointed out -- you can barely see the sequential indicators on a sunny day -- even if the vehicle is parked in the shade. I think this problem is due to the sequential lights not being very bright to begin with and the reflection off the glass covering the lights.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #7
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Hey Steve: Just read your post. I think you made a wise decision! Glad for you. I'm sure you'll find something that works in the future. If I may mention something: When looking for LED lamps you ALWAYS want the LED color to match the lens color. Has to do with light spectrum. For example: White LED behind a red lens with look pink. Put a red LED behind the same lens and see the dramatic difference in brightness and color. This is because the other colors in the light spectrum are blocked by the lens color making red light the dominate spectrum color to that lens. Hope that makes sense. Well anyway, enough with science and stay well!

Last edited by Jb54; 05-07-2020 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Add
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:06 PM   #8
Corky

Drives: 2019 1SS M6
As I was watching your video it appeared the right side actually has no sequential function like the left side...At any point of use..{?} EDIT: OK I see that you stated it was off on the right ..On a side note,I don't think the orange tinted lights would be legal here in Pa. and would probably get you wheeled over..
Corky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behavior, custom, sequential, spec-d, tail light