Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 09-30-2018, 08:55 AM   #1
jp9109
Clay Sculptor at GM

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, M6, MRC, NPP
Modified Blade Spoiler Pt 2 (finally)

Hello again, sorry it has been a while and part 2 has been completed for a couple months now I just haven't had a chance to post, but here it is!

Link to Part 1 for those who haven't seen: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492464

Part 2 of the spoiler mod is the custom wicker bill. This design evolved a little after I made the first version. Initially the wicker bill was only going to be mounted on the decklid portion of the spoiler and not extend to the outboard pieces. Once I made the lexan wicker bill and mounted it I could tell that it wan't what I wanted even though it matched a quick sketch I had done. So I thought of a few different ways that might solve this problem such as extending the piece I already had so it would extend and "float" over the outboard pieces while still being mounted to only the center section. This wasn't going to work due to the amount of potential load on the "floating" section and the way the decklid opens. At this point the only way to get the wicker bill to wrap around the outboard pieces was to make it a four piece design. I knew that I would need to make it out of something that would hold its shape better than just lexan bolted to the spoiler, so I chose to make it out of 22 gauge sheet metal.

Below you can see the process I went through. I started by mounting the rivnuts to the blade spoiler then mounted the oversized piece of sheetmetal to the spoiler. From there I taped where I wanted the edges, multiple times. Then I removed the sheet metal and made my cuts. This process was repeated over and over until I finally achieved the shape I was after. During that I was also bending the sheet metal to match the curvature of the spoiler. The curvature of the decklid portion was easy, this was just a plan view section that needed matched, the side view is basically flat. The most challenging part of this was matching the section of the outboard pieces of the spoiler. The back surface where the wicker bill mates up to are a compound bend, or twisted. This meant I had to bent the sheet in two directions in the same area. I don't have much experience shaping sheet metal and I also don't have any of the proper tools for it either. My method was using my hands and the handle of my floor jack and just running back and forth between there and the car to check the curvature of the part after each bend. Not the fanciest or proper way to do it but the results exceeded my expectations. I impressed myself with how well I matched the curvature of the outboard pieces while maintaining a decent core highlight through the wicker bill.

After looking at this for a while I would like to reduce the size of the radii on the corners of the wicker bill and the blade spoiler. Other than that I am very happy with how it turned out. In the background you can see the fiberglass hood that I bought discounted, it is cracked in a few locations, but that doesn't really matter because I will be doing what I did to the spoiler. The hood is the winter project and will have a completely different design to it. I will be sure to post updates for that while it is being completed.

Thanks for checking out what I do in some of my free time! I hope I can inspire some of you to try something new, doesn't have to be making stuff for your car it can be whatever! Get out there and make something!
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Very nice. Good work on all of that. It turned out great. Now make a modified version of that wickerbill for us 1LE guys and make us happy.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
2K16SummitSS
Resident Land Surveyor

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS - Summit White M6
Just like in the other thread, I wish you did these for a living. Great job, hands down the best looking spoiler/wicker combo out there. And to top it all off, it's absolutely one of a kind.
2001 NBM Trans Am WS6, Wifey's Grocery Getter - Torquer V2 cam, Racetronix Fuel Pump, Yank 3000 Stall, Transgo 1-2 kit, TSP LTs, Magnaflow, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTIIs, Ed Wright tuned
2K16SummitSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Sorry to derail the thread but what are your thoughts on that hood in the 6th picture? I love that design but I've heard the fitment isn't the best. You can PM me if you don't want to get the thread way off topic lol
Old 10-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
While I'm not a big fan of wickerbills in general, I think this looks great!
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
jp9109
Clay Sculptor at GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
Very nice. Good work on all of that. It turned out great. Now make a modified version of that wickerbill for us 1LE guys and make us happy.
Thanks! I wish I could but unfortunately I'm unable to do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K16SummitSS View Post
Just like in the other thread, I wish you did these for a living. Great job, hands down the best looking spoiler/wicker combo out there. And to top it all off, it's absolutely one of a kind.
Thank you, much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Sorry to derail the thread but what are your thoughts on that hood in the 6th picture? I love that design but I've heard the fitment isn't the best. You can PM me if you don't want to get the thread way off topic lol
My quick response to that is I've heard the same, but in my situation it doesn't really matter since I will be chopping it up. I haven't put it on the car yet either. I can say the surface quality is the worst I've ever seen and the feature lines are rounded off. The worst part is that mesh at the opening is the disposable grill grates that you buy at walmart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedonBlackRS View Post
While I'm not a big fan of wickerbills in general, I think this looks great!
Thanks! The look/functionality is not for everyone that's for sure.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #7
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp9109 View Post
My quick response to that is I've heard the same, but in my situation it doesn't really matter since I will be chopping it up. I haven't put it on the car yet either. I can say the surface quality is the worst I've ever seen and the feature lines are rounded off. The worst part is that mesh at the opening is the disposable grill grates that you buy at walmart...
So you're basically say it's complete shit? lol which isn't a big deal to someone of your talents I'm sure, I'm actually interested in the CF version, you think the quality if that one should be better or should I just steer clear? haha

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #8
jp9109
Clay Sculptor at GM

Quote:
So you're basically say it's complete shit? lol which isn't a big deal to someone of your talents I'm sure, I'm actually interested in the CF version, you think the quality if that one should be better or should I just steer clear? haha

Thanks for the input!
I can't give you good advice on that. Seeing as CF parts should come out of the mold without needing to be surfaced I would hope the quality is better. However, I have not seen the CF version on any cars (but I haven't searched for any) which may indicate something. Something else to consider, if a company is known to have issues with the quality of fitment and surfacing of its parts, I wouldn't expect one part to be exceptionally better than the rest.

Without seeing it in person I may be completely wrong and if I am someone please correct me. But if it were me, I would not do it lol.

I think your best option would be to reach out here on the forums and see if anyone has one or has seen one in person.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #9
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:

Thanks for the input!
DO NOT BUY anything from from carbon creations.. I have personal experience with their products and have seen many others. The hood you would be purchasing is not even Full CF its carbon fiber layered over the molded hood. I am telling you now you will regret your purchase..

I have their diffuser and only reason it is still on is because I put in hours of sanding and molding bad lines and creating my own mounting points so the thing would even fit. the carbon layer is the worst ive seen and ive done my best to make it look decent.

I have seen the hood in person and anyone that ive known to have the hood online has gotten rid of it. Extreme dimensions and Carbon Creations also have the worst customer service I have ever experienced.. I spent hours trying to find a shop that would do the install to be told no and have them tell me I need to use a authorized installer to support the warranty/return policy.

Sorry I will end the rant here but you will be hard pressed to find anyone that was happy with a ED CC product.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
jp9109
Clay Sculptor at GM

FYI, I no longer have the car so the original is up for sale here:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581653

Figured I would post this in the thread since there was a lot of interest.