Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 04-28-2019, 06:25 PM   #1
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
How to clean grill

The grill and front are the hardest part to me of cleaning. Dirt and grime also love to get in cracks and crevasses and theres no getting to them to clean them. I have tried a slick stick and it dosent really make it any easier. I almost think it would be easiest to remove the whole front clip and take out the individual plastic pieces and take them to the sink to be cleaned? Name:  IMG_20190428_172800.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  361.3 KB
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #2
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Ceramic coat? Try Adams in and out spray I use this on my honeycomb Silverado grille and it works well (chrome grille)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:49 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
A big soft split horsehair brush from autogeek....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I never had any issues getting into those parts, you have to take your time. I bring my Camaro to the local car shows and it's not bad getting the grill clean, just time consuming. I use my fingers and microfiber towels.

I also use a clay bar to cut down the water spotting that does occur from time to time.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Chemical Guys gerbil MF brush works like a champ. The plastic support inside has a flat tip which is perfect for getting into the narrow spots on the grille.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/gerbil-...h/ACC_B01.html

Good for wheels and calipers too.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:13 PM   #6
cmitchell17

It looks like the do gooders want to really save the animals, I looked at some of the boar hair brushes and they are over $100 haha. Can synthetic brushes still get in the cracks, or are they just bad about scratching? The chemical guys one looks good too but it seems like it might be a little too big to get to the small places, especially on the upper grill the recesses and channels in there are only about a couple mm's wide. I don't have any coating or protection, using my car as a daily driver and highway and rain driving has pretty much destroyed the front end, so I would be willing to sacrifice scratching for ease of use.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 04-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #7
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I spray mine with Hydro2 a couple of times a year, then follow up with some Reload...bit of a pain, but keeps it nice and easy to clean.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
I recently started using one of my wheel brushes, like this one. I used to do the finger and MF towel process, but that was too time consuming.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:27 PM   #9
cmitchell17

It looks like to me all brushes are for wheels. I know I can use things for other stuff its not supposedly made for, but I just don't get why they don't make something to clean stuff like this. I'm leaning towards wheel whoolies, but im not sure they will be small enough to get into where im talking about.

It may be best just to try a toothbrush?

Last edited by cmitchell17; 04-29-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:36 PM   #10
Gunkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
It looks like to me all brushes are for wheels. I know I can use things for other stuff its not supposedly made for, but I just don't get why they don't make something to clean stuff like this. I'm leaning towards wheel whoolies, but im not sure they will be small enough to get into where im talking about.

It may be best just to try a toothbrush?
Oh hell no dont ever touch any paint on your car with a toothbrush!

Just get the $7 CG gerbil brush I linked above. I’m totally OCD about the black bits on my car and if this brush wasn’t the quickest, cheapest, easiest way to clean the grille I wouldn’t bother mentioning it. Trust me!
Old 05-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #11
cmitchell17

So I got the gerbil and tried it out, dosent seem to work for me. I found it was just to big to easily get into the upper grill and the side vents. Its also really soft so it didn't really feel like it was doing much. I tried it on my wheels as well, the problem here is that its not long enough to really get behind the spokes easily and really tires your hand out about the same as using a rag would. The wool was also shedding off really easily.

I don't keep my car near as nice as everyone else does around here, so I accept micro scratches, so it seems like there's got to be a stiffer synthetic or nylon brush out there with fine bristles and small enough in size to get all the cracks and creases. What makes natural, boars hair, wool, etc. so much better than synthetic brushes? If I can accept micro scratches I should be able to use a stiff synthetic brush right? My front end is pretty much ruined from rock chips and road damage far beyond the damage I could do with micro scratches, or is there another problem?

Thanks for the help
Old 05-10-2019, 07:29 PM   #12
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Buy a small air compressor from Harbor Freight and use that to blow out all the crevices you can't reach with a detailing brush. For the detailing brush, I just went to Michael's and bought a soft synthetic artist's paint brush to reach the difficult to clean spots. It doesn't scratch.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #13
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Buy a small air compressor from Harbor Freight and use that to blow out all the crevices you can't reach with a detailing brush. For the detailing brush, I just went to Michael's and bought a soft synthetic artist's paint brush to reach the difficult to clean spots. It doesn't scratch.
This.

I use a Tornador tool, which blows air and cleaning solution.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:44 AM   #14
Gunkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
So I got the gerbil and tried it out, dosent seem to work for me. I found it was just to big to easily get into the upper grill and the side vents. Its also really soft so it didn't really feel like it was doing much. I tried it on my wheels as well, the problem here is that its not long enough to really get behind the spokes easily and really tires your hand out about the same as using a rag would. The wool was also shedding off really easily.

I don't keep my car near as nice as everyone else does around here, so I accept micro scratches, so it seems like there's got to be a stiffer synthetic or nylon brush out there with fine bristles and small enough in size to get all the cracks and creases. What makes natural, boars hair, wool, etc. so much better than synthetic brushes? If I can accept micro scratches I should be able to use a stiff synthetic brush right? My front end is pretty much ruined from rock chips and road damage far beyond the damage I could do with micro scratches, or is there another problem?

Thanks for the help
That's odd my gerbil works perfectly on my grille. I agree the wheel barrels are too deep for the gerbil, which is how they market it. IMO it's far better for grillework.

Well sorry at least you tried and at least the gerbil brush is relatively cheap. Yeah a stiffer brush may help but if you've got something stuck on your grille (bugs?
water spots?) that's not coming off with soap+water and light agitation from the gerbil brush, it may not come off with a stiffer/bristle brush either. If you go with a pressure washer, make sure NOT to spray directly onto the radiator/intercooler fins or you'll wreck 'em. Kirk's Tornador idea sounds like a good one for softening up sun-baked bugs, etc. If it's more water spot related, you could also try a chemical approach: bug-n-tar remover, water spot remover/vinegar/CLR, etc.

But just keep trying, you'll figure it out