Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #1
Sid-X

Drives: '17Raptor,'68Firebird,'18MacanGTS
The 1LE is too quiet... and has an identity crisis.

After coming out of the GT350 the ZL1 sounds really tame. It sounds great in my garage with the windows down but on the road ... I keep wondering if it's in stealth mode ... nope, just quiet. This car needs a soundtrack that matches it's attitude though. What are you all doing for exhaust? I wouldn't mind if the baffles just stayed open and I don't care if it is just an Axel back. I just need some angrier sounds inside the cockpit.

Also, I'm sitting here trying to learn all the systems getting annoyed thinking what this car needs is more simplicity and less baggage. Is anyone else puzzled why this car has back seats, heated and cooled seats/steering wheel, power mirrors, disco lights etc? Why doesn't it have a more track focused seat option like the GT350, Z06 and GT3? Or a delete all the things option? Remove the gingerbread and give us some seats that weigh half as much. I think it would make more sense as a ZL1 version of the Carrera T.

Is it a hard-core track weapon or a GT with track focused suspension? Yes.

Side note: My car has been grounded since I drove it the 250 miles home because I live in Oregon and ... winter sucks. I have not even really got to drive her just hyper analyze the interior haha. I still think its a really great car. Can't wait for spring.
Sid-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
You are comparing it to one of the greatest sounds ever (GT 350). Not a fair fight.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #3
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Welp, as good as your idea for a stripped down ZL1 1LE is my friend...GM already tried that. Downside was, it was a sales DISASTER of a wonderful car called the Z/28. New units sat unsold on dealer lots for years. GM won't be fooled twice on this, and decided when they made their next track monster to keep it loaded to the balls.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Pull out seats and remove under carpet insulation. That'll get you 2x the noise. Then you can go around front fenders, remove all that noise insulating foam.

Obnoxious loud cars just attract wrong attension. ZLE already looks like its turned to 11 standing still.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:01 PM   #5
Fatty1707

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
I like it the way it is
Fatty1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
With mass manufacturing it’s probably cheaper for GM to make a 1LE with the ZL1 comfort features. I luv the look of the vette competition seats and think they would improve the interior looks. That said, the stock recaros are sweet! I do admit the GT350 sounds great but it comes at a premium and sacrifice in performance. Hopefully you can get a setup that is music to your ears.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #7
19Nasty1le
Craig

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid-X View Post
After coming out of the GT350 the ZL1 sounds really tame. It sounds great in my garage with the windows down but on the road ... I keep wondering if it's in stealth mode ... nope, just quiet. This car needs a soundtrack that matches it's attitude though. What are you all doing for exhaust? I wouldn't mind if the baffles just stayed open and I don't care if it is just an Axel back. I just need some angrier sounds inside the cockpit.

Also, I'm sitting here trying to learn all the systems getting annoyed thinking what this car needs is more simplicity and less baggage. Is anyone else puzzled why this car has back seats, heated and cooled seats/steering wheel, power mirrors, disco lights etc? Why doesn't it have a more track focused seat option like the GT350, Z06 and GT3? Or a delete all the things option? Remove the gingerbread and give us some seats that weigh half as much. I think it would make more sense as a ZL1 version of the Carrera T.

Is it a hard-core track weapon or a GT with track focused suspension? Yes.

Side note: My car has been grounded since I drove it the 250 miles home because I live in Oregon and ... winter sucks. I have not even really got to drive her just hyper analyze the interior haha. I still think its a really great car. Can't wait for spring.

Have you gone into the "System" setting on the touch screen and selected "Track" for the exhaust? That way it's always in Track mode with the valves open, ALSO another trick people do because the valves apparently do sometimes close or flutter is to pull the NPP fuse under the hood and that gives a bit better sound apparently.
19Nasty1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #8
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
The GT and comp seats in the C7 share the same frame and the ZL1 and Camaro share the same overall frame with some bolster support changes. The main difference is the foam in the Camaro and size/density in the C7. It’s just not practical for a domestic manufacturer at these price points to offer a different seat option. GM has significantly improved their seats over the last few gens, especially in the C7. I think Porsche really has the best overall seats and offers a true comp seat in the 911. It’s just more than I want to pay for a car.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #9
BDivine76

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Step one- pull the fuse so the valves stay open all the time. If that's not enough (it won't be as the GT350 you are coming out of is LOUD straight from the factory.

To your question- I have the Borla ATAK axle back and love it. Corsa also has a pretty strong following. Kooks are also highly regarded. Any way you go will get you what you are looking for and it takes less than an hour to have it installed.
BDivine76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:21 PM   #10
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
The GT and comp seats in the C7 share the same frame and the ZL1 and Camaro share the same overall frame with some bolster support changes. The main difference is the foam in the Camaro and size/density in the C7. It’s just not practical for a domestic manufacturer at these price points to offer a different seat option. GM has significantly improved their seats over the last few gens, especially in the C7. I think Porsche really has the best overall seats and offers a true comp seat in the 911. It’s just more than I want to pay for a car.
Porsche seats are the standard. 18 way adjustments.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:27 PM   #11
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Man I don't know about you, but I love using my A/C'd seats while on track.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #12
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
I put Kooks LTs with no cats running to the stock suit case and damn it’s awesome!
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:36 PM   #13
5senna5

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Do a Borla 60606 secondary cat delete X-pipe in to a set of Corsa Extreme axle-back mufflers. It will rival a GT350... I had it on my SS 1LE and it was outrageous, but too loud on cold starts at 6:30 AM in my condo garage. I switched to an NPP Borla S-Type and like the sound a lot but don’t love it like I did the Corsa. Drive with your rear seats folded down and you get 2X the interior noise form the exhaust if thats what you’re looking for.
5senna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:17 AM   #14
Sid-X

Drives: '17Raptor,'68Firebird,'18MacanGTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Man I don't know about you, but I love using my A/C'd seats while on track.
Yes, I was thinking they would actually be pretty sweet on the track when the temps climb. If I remember they are there. I have them in my Raptor and I always forget I have them even after 50k miles on the ODO ... haha.

All points are valid. I get why it's loaded the way it is for more mass market appeal. From a profitability standpoint it makes sense. Chevy knows it's customers.

I'm not hating on the car. It's fantastic. You have to admit though, it is a kind of paradox. Uncompromising performance on one hand that is also compromised by being fully loaded with amenities that compromise the performance. The standard ZL1 makes sense to me. It's real world like the GT350. The GT350R makes sense in that it offers a rear seat delete, racing seat option and technology delete option. Although the R customers seem to add the tech back in for the most part. I think a majority of the draw to this car as well as the GT350R if people are honest is purely aesthetics and bragging rights. It looks damned cool with the huge wing and splitters and there is the Nurburgring time to drop at cars and coffee. I am guessing though that if they offered the wing and splitters as an option on the standard ZL1 a third of the ZLE customers would go with a ZL1. Magnetic ride control is a nice thing.

I'm just a driving enthusiast with preferences not a race car driver so I like a lot of the tech amenities as well. If I could cherry pick options though I would like light-weight analog Recaros, rear seat delete, less sound deadening and a more antisocial exhaust note. And ... possibly a flame thrower and blue healer to sit in the passenger seat as I ruled the waste lands ... wait ... I am getting my dreams mixed up.
Sid-X is offline   Reply With Quote