Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-05-2018, 11:36 PM   #1
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Anyone have a Mishimoto thermostat fail?

I’ve had a 160 Mishimoto thermostat installed for the last 6 months or so. Tonight I noticed it running warm out of nowhere. I’m pretty sure my issue is thermostat related. At least I’m hoping that’s what it is, as everything else seems normal (coolant level, coolant flow, fan operation). Anyone else have a problem with these thermostats?
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
alssiri

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Just installed mine heard some failed on trucks & maybe it is a defected patch only

Ahmad
2012 ZL1 A6 (SOLD)
Forged 376 CI, LSA HeartBeat, Mast Medium Bore Heads & JDP ZLR Cam, ARH LT , MagnaFlow Resonated X + Borla Atak Catback, ADM 102mm Snout, CAI, NW102MM TB, ID850, Fore Triple Fuel Pump, MSD Wire's, Moroso CC.
Alky Control, FIICHILLER.
alssiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alssiri View Post
Just installed mine heard some failed on trucks & maybe it is a defected patch only

Ahmad
Just be careful. I pulled mine out and found the O-ring just sitting inside the thermostat housing. I’m not totally sure if this was somehow causing it to jam shut, or if I had a problem with the wax element. But that Mishimoto thermostat was my issue and could have caused major issues had I not been paying attention.

The older Mishimoto design (and pretty much all others) use a seal design that is notorious for coming apart. I got the newer style Mishimoto which uses an OEM style gasket. I figured this would be reliable, but I was wrong.

I ended up going with a billet housing that uses any LS3 style thermostat. I should have done that from the start.

Here’s what my Mishimoto looked like when it came out. And the billet housing installed.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2018, 11:44 PM   #4
20181le

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE Coming Soon!
This is good advice. Never seen a fairly new stat go bad on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Just be careful. I pulled mine out and found the O-ring just sitting inside the thermostat housing. I’m not totally sure if this was somehow causing it to jam shut, or if I had a problem with the wax element. But that Mishimoto thermostat was my issue and could have caused major issues had I not been paying attention.

The older Mishimoto design (and pretty much all others) use a seal design that is notorious for coming apart. I got the newer style Mishimoto which uses an OEM style gasket. I figured this would be reliable, but I was wrong.

I ended up going with a billet housing that uses any LS3 style thermostat. I should have done that from the start.

Here’s what my Mishimoto looked like when it came out. And the billet housing installed.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:57 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
What's wrong with the stock GM thermostat?
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:14 AM   #6
Opus13
Opus13

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Nothing actually wrong, people will change to a thermostat with a lower temperature rating. Example is the Mishimoto thermostat opens at 160° and allows the coolant to flow earlier than stock. Some feel it makes the car run cooler, and some others don't.
I'm not sure, but I think stock is 180°.
Opus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:03 AM   #7
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus13 View Post
Nothing actually wrong, people will change to a thermostat with a lower temperature rating. Example is the Mishimoto thermostat opens at 160° and allows the coolant to flow earlier than stock. Some feel it makes the car run cooler, and some others don't.
I'm not sure, but I think stock is 180°.
Stock is 192 from what I remember, which makes sense as my car would run 195 cruising down the freeway with the stock thermostat.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
There’s nothing “wrong” with the stock one. I’m not going to get into a debate as to the pros and cons, but a lower temp thermostat has been a popular swap for modified LS engines for as long as I can remember — and they’re usually part of power packages or blower kits by shops and manufacturers.

My main reason for doing a thermostat on my ZL1 is that ignition timing is heavily influenced by a PID known as manifold air temp. MAT is a calculation based on IAT2 (air temp after the intercooler bricks), coolant temp, and (I think) ambient air temp or IAT1. Lower coolant temps = Lower logged manifold air temps, which = more timing and power. I also feel it helps with IAT2 by keeping the blower cooler.