#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #15
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarazy View Post
That sucks... Wife and I have one on order with a TPW of this week. We're planning on going over it very thoroughly before accepting it. I know all too well about finding a flaw in the paint once you get it home. It's easy to miss something like that at the dealership if you aren't in the right light. My last car had numerous trips back to the paint shop and I kept finding more flaws where they screwed up while repainting. While most people could not notice the imperfections, I never was happy with that paint job.

Yeah, I couldn't see it out in the bright sun. Though even if I had, I don't think it would have changed my decision to buy it. I'd honestly be much more upset if it was a painted part. At least this should be an easy bolt-on replacement if it comes to that.

With the exception of these hood insert imperfections, this has been the best experience I've had buying a car. The guys at Rio Vista are awesome. I know it will get resolved. I just don't want to have to take it back until I get my protective film installed. I was super paranoid on the ~30 mile drive back home.

In the meantime, I might try some Ultimate Compound by hand to see what it does. I don't think it can hurt at this point.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #16
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I think trying the Ultimate Compound is a great idea. Hopefully it will remove the imperfections.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #17
BMWM.D.

So just as an update, the Ultimate Compound by hand on a microfiber pad helped, but did not completely eliminate the defects. The small scuffs along the centerline of the insert are just about invisible now, but that cloudy section over on the passenger side is still there. I think I made it better, but couldn't remove it by hand.

I'm still not sure what the hazy/cloudy section is. It looks like it may be very fine scratches in the clear, but I really don't know. It's a big section of the insert though, and is sort of a round shape. I don't know what caused it either. I guess it's either a factory defect, or was damaged by the detail department at the dealer.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:16 AM   #18
awh3r

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
So I just got my new '18 ZL1 home and in the garage. Unfortunately, there are a series of scuffs in the exposed carbon hood insert along the center ridge. There's also what appears to be a discolored section (looks like a spot of wax that wasn't wiped off) , but it does not come off with quick detailer.

Anyway, I'm pretty bummed out over this. Does anyone know if the insert can be polished to try and remove these imperfections? Short of making the dealer I bought the car from replace it, do I have any options?

Thanks
More than likely that was done during shipping or taking it off the transport. I got my ZL1 one month ago and it had a scuff across the front fender. Nothing bad, i was able to remove it however your hood insert should be replaced. I would take it back ASAP, those kind of issues dealer sometimes will push back on. Hopefully you have a good and honest dealer who will back their products.
awh3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:31 AM   #19
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
They'll come out with a DA polisher. This happened to me when I bought my '13 ZL1 vert. Turned my back for an instant and the dealer washed it. Huge scratches on the hood insert, rt front fender, and deck lid. Pointed it out and they said they would fix it. I just laughed and did it myself. Took a DA polisher using Adams polishes. Had to use all 3 levels on the hood insert. Luckily didn't have to go to a rubbing compound.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:41 AM   #20
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
They'll come out with a DA polisher. This happened to me when I bought my '13 ZL1 vert. Turned my back for an instant and the dealer washed it. Huge scratches on the hood insert, rt front fender, and deck lid. Pointed it out and they said they would fix it. I just laughed and did it myself. Took a DA polisher using Adams polishes. Had to use all 3 levels on the hood insert. Luckily didn't have to go to a rubbing compound.
I think you're probably right. The hazy section definitely looks better after the hand polishing. A more aggressive pad or machine polish will probably do it. I'm still debating the best course of action. I'll get back with the sales manager today and see what he has to say. They already told me it'll get taken care of, but I'm not sure what he's going to want to do. If they can get me a new insert, that's probably my best option.

Anybody here removed their insert themselves? It looks like it would be very easy, but I'd rather not tear into it until I know. Guess I'll check AllData. Could be some info there.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #21
DangerZL1

I've seen some posts where the hood insert was removed to do PPF. I think it comes out pretty easy. Too bad the haze is still there. It might come out by working it more, but at this point, I'd let the dealer worry with it. If they can polish it out that would be great, but if they mess it up it's on them.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #22
BMWM.D.

So I'm going to swing by our body shop and have them take a look at the hood insert. The sales manager wanted a professional opinion on the cause, and basically said if it's a factory defect they'll order me a new one. If it's not a factory defect, then its transport damage or damage caused by their detail department. So I'm not sure where that leaves us.

Thankfully I have a good relationship with my body shop and know the owner personally. If it can be machine polished out, I'll probably be content at this point. Probably won't cost me anything either. If it can't, the dealer is buying me a new one -- one way or another.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #23
DangerZL1

Old 09-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #24
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
GM has some very specific requirements for handling the exposed CF. Make sure your dealer reads up on them thoroughly. GM just reviewed it in one of their training segments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #25
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
GM has some very specific requirements for handling the exposed CF. Make sure your dealer reads up on them thoroughly. GM just reviewed it in one of their training segments.
Do you have a link to that? I'm curious what GM says.

And I'm assuming it was the dealer who was responsible for the damage in the first place. So other than making them buy me a new insert, I don't think they'll be involved. If I can find in writing where GM states the carbon can't be polished, then that gives me leverage to request a replacement.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #26
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The document for the C7 targa roof cf option, which is somewhere over on the Corvette forums, just says that they don't want highly abrasive polishing i.e. rubbing compound. But A finishing polish is perfectly fine. It's just clearcoat that is infused with a UV inhibitor.

Last edited by Glen e; 09-14-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote