Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Hyper Blue upkeep

I know this isn't a ZL1 question per say, but I wanted to hear from some HB ZL1 owners as to how this color is to live with. I'm torn between Ice Silver and Hyper Blue. I usually buy silver cars because they don't show swirls and are very low maintenance, but I really like the Hyper Blue.

I had a black metallic (Jerez Black) e90 M3, and I'll NEVER do a black or nearly black car again. Swirls and scratches galore, and dusty 5 minutes after you detailed it. I'm scared the HB will be like that, even though it really isn't all that dark. I'm just paranoid. Never had any blue cars before.

Thoughts?
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
djfury05

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Mine still looks clean even with a layer of dust on it. The metallic helps hide some of the imperfections as well. I notice defects on the black part of the good before I notice them on the rest of the blue paint. Love HBM best color!
djfury05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
I owned a couple of black cars, NEVER AGAIN, LOL
I had the silver on my 2010 Camaro. It was nice, easy to keep because it didn't show the dirt. Owning the HBM now, gotta say its not that bad, still looks good dirty.. I am swirl free however I corrected it to be that way. Ton of swirls from the dealer when I first got it.
Even though it had tons of swirls, you really had to use a light to see them.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
greaser2

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1 KG
I have a KG currently but had a Laguna Seca blue Corvette. The more u polish any color the harder it seems to keep them clean. Lots of compliments on the color though
greaser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
The metallic paint hides minor imperfections, I found my 2011 victory red Camaro to really show imperfections in the sunlight. It's a double edged sword though, it makes it more difficult to perfect with a polisher unless you have a good light setup. Which I don't yet. Overall HBM is by far my favorite color. I will always get metallic paint vehicles from now on.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #6
speedraider

Drives: 2016 Z06, 2017 ZL1
I have HB , as soon as I got it home, I did minor paint corrections and applied a few coats of ceramic coating . No swirls at all and I live in the desert
speedraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #7
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Love my hyper blue. I get lots of compliments. I had black cars before. They look awesome for those 10 minutes after cleaning, but then show everything. Not so with hyper blue. I had mine ceramic coated as well. No swirls at all after more than 6,000 miles. Looks pretty clean, even dirty. I was on the fence with the color, but I would select it again in a minute.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
1roadking

Drives: 2017 ZL1 silver A10
I went with the silver even though HB was my favorite. I don't regret it��. The silver still pops with the black accents and black stripe. It's way easy to keep clean.
1roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #9
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1roadking View Post
I went with the silver even though HB was my favorite. I don't regret it��. The silver still pops with the black accents and black stripe. It's way easy to keep clean.

I'm still torn between silver and blue. The HB is a very cool color, but I feel the contrast with the hood and accents looks better with the silver. Tough decision.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #10
clanky
Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro 2S

Drives: 16 Hyper Blue2SS NPP MagRide 6M NAV
Not a ZL1, but have a HB 2SS and i've gotten tons of compliments on the car and "wet" it looks with a good sealant/wax on it. It's funny when I get more compliments on "just my camaro" when the $108,000 racing yellow Z06/Z07 is right beside it. That said I have gotten quite a few chips in my paint, but I don't think that it color specific... just thin/cheap paint put on it. Next car I get I am getting wrapped, but I knew I wouldn't keep this one for too long so not that big of a deal. My last 4 cars were black and they look damn good for the whole 5 minutes they are clean! All of mine were daily drivers so it was a huge struggle to keep them clean. I had a silver saturn back in the college days and wow... If you want to wash something once in a while (several weeks/months intervals) you can't beat silver. IMO it's the easiest color i've owned to hide dirt. My wife has a gray metallic BMW at the moment and it does a pretty good job of hiding dirt too. I've gotten quite a few compliments about how clean and good the hyper blue camaro looks when in my eyes it was in a good need of a cleaning...take that as you will.
clanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #11
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Been living with HBM for ten months now. I did a paint correction 6 months back and gave it a good waxing at the same time.

I unfortunately have to traverse 150 yds of gravel drive every trip in and out. Last rain here was probably two months back. So it's dusty.

I generally do a quick RINSE at the quarter car wash when I hit town. The good wax job allows the water to bead up and fall off. I can dry off with a single 16x16 Eagle Edgeless from the Rag Company. Ten minute deal max.

I CONSTANTLY get compliments on the paint. HBM does surely show dust quicker than a few of the other color options, but I think it's one of the more striking colors....So worth the slight PITA.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #12
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Hyper is an easy color to care for being one of the tincoat colors, stays pretty clean, silver is about the same, sometimes silver shows some mismatch amoung panels.
And some cloudiness.

Do this once and then reload every 3 months - nothing is easier, wax is dead.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...hlight=Essence

Follow with maintenance rinseless washes with Carpro Ech02... directions in my sig
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote