Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 04-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
TrackZero

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Burnout for dragracing

I recently went to the dragstrip. First time with my nt05r drag radials. I tried doing some burnouts to get them sticky, but about half of the time the car would bounce off the rev limiter, instead of shifting into 2nd. Any thoughts on how to avoid this?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackZero View Post
I recently went to the dragstrip. First time with my nt05r drag radials. I tried doing some burnouts to get them sticky, but about half of the time the car would bounce off the rev limiter, instead of shifting into 2nd. Any thoughts on how to avoid this?
You really DON'T want your car shifting during your burnout! Just feather the gas pedal to keep the RPMs off the rev limiter... also try just putting the car in 2nd using the paddle shifters and again, just keep it in 2nd and feather the gas to keep the RPMs where you want them...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
LS3 M6 or L99 A6?

Are you trying to shift (LS3 M6) into second while doing your burnout, or are you expecting the transmission (L99 A6) to shift into second during your burnout?

In my L99 A6, I just feather the gas (as mentioned in the previous post) in 1st gear. For me, that works fine. You just have to work the gas (feather it up and down) to keep the rear wheels spinning without hitting the rev limiter.

But I know some guys prefer 2nd gear (especially higher HP cars).
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
In my A6 car I start by shutting both the T/C and Stabiltrak off. I drive through the water box. You may prefer to drive around and possibly back in. Then push the brake pedal to the floor and gently ease into the throttle like these guys have mentioned. Works fine for me:

Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote