Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #15
audiowhiz

Drives: 2005 Corvette M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrosario View Post
I bought a new fob with a blank switchblade key off of Ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...640&rmvSB=true
for my son's 2015 Camaro. Drove to the locksmith who laser cut the key and reminded me not to use the switchblade key because in case of an accident, my insurance company will not cover me if they find out the switchblade key was used to drive the car (Key Fob Recall). Anyhow, I followed the Key Fob "relearn" procedure (above) and 10 seconds later it was working and I started the car in the locksmith's parking lot.
I think he is full of BS. Find it hard to believe.
audiowhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #16
bradhu

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Cyber Gray Metallic
I just purchased a new fob/key this last Saturday from my local dealer. I was surprised it was still a switchblade. They wanted $80 for the fob/key and another $50 for programming from the service department. I took the fob/key from the parts counter and went to my car. No kidding in less than 20 seconds the new fob/key was programmed and I hit the road. Bypassed the service department and saved the $50.

I put the old key in the ignition and turned to on for 10 seconds, but didn't start the car. Removed the old key and put the new key in the ignition and turned to on until DIC said new key programmed.
bradhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #17
marklsx

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhu View Post
I just purchased a new fob/key this last Saturday from my local dealer. I was surprised it was still a switchblade. They wanted $80 for the fob/key and another $50 for programming from the service department. I took the fob/key from the parts counter and went to my car. No kidding in less than 20 seconds the new fob/key was programmed and I hit the road. Bypassed the service department and saved the $50.

I put the old key in the ignition and turned to on for 10 seconds, but didn't start the car. Removed the old key and put the new key in the ignition and turned to on until DIC said new key programmed.
Same here, recently got a switchblade from a dealer. Also cost me $80, and I did the program myself.
marklsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #18
bayarea408

Drives: T
i bought a switchblade key fob off amazon. Pulled the key off my damaged OEM unit with a pin and some patience. Swapped over the key to the new fob, programmed it and it all works great.

AT first even after programming it the car would NOT auto start, i thought i lost this feature with the new key fob. After a few weeks of regular use i figure id try it again and it worked!
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #19
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrosario View Post
Audiowhiz, Three similar procedures like mine (purchasing blank switchblade keys) that worked for other members using similar programming procedures, yet, I'm full of BS? You should do some homework before posting jackass comments, Jackass!

I could be wrong, but I think he was talking about the locksmith, not you.

I know if anything happens and my insurance tries to deny the claim due to the key, either the insurance company or the dealer is getting sued.

Anyway, I just thought it was really strange that after all the hoopla about the key recall, that I could just walk into a Chevy dealer and by a switchblade key for $60. (Note that I do not have remote start, so those might be the $80 variety)
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #20
audiowhiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
I could be wrong, but I think he was talking about the locksmith, not you.

I know if anything happens and my insurance tries to deny the claim due to the key, either the insurance company or the dealer is getting sued.

Anyway, I just thought it was really strange that after all the hoopla about the key recall, that I could just walk into a Chevy dealer and by a switchblade key for $60. (Note that I do not have remote start, so those might be the $80 variety)
You would be correct.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #21
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Did they have to sign a release of liability form?
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:39 PM   #22
audiowhiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13LTLoveIt View Post
Did they have to sign a release of liability form?
When I bought My SS, it came with one switchblade key. I ordered another one from eBay, took it to the local dealer to cut the key, and they cut it with no questions asked. I don't think they are taking this particular recall very seriously. A voluntary recall if you will.