Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-12-2020, 12:41 PM   #1
Slowwmaroo

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS
performance upgrades

Has anyone done major or even little work to enhance speed/ performance of their 16-18 6th gen camaro v6, 3.6l? i’m getting an intake soon but if anyone has any recommendations for what else to add as well as good brands that’d be very helpful. my ig is slowwmaroo_lt if that’s easier
Slowwmaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
conall

Drives: 2019 Camaro V6 manual
Congratulations!
My mods are more expensive than what most people use, but they have been dyno-tested separately:
15 hp gain on the aFe CAI system, and at least 11 hp on the Overkill 80 mm throttle body.
There's definitely a very noticeable difference in low-end performance, but they also help in high passing at high rpm's.

I don't do timed runs on the 1/8 or 1/4 mile track, though.
My focus is on high performance driver training on technical tracks with various types of turns.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:02 PM   #3
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I've done minor mods so far, but it has definitely amped up the fun factor. Just a Flowmaster axle back and a Airaid intake and filter.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #4
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
Minor mods are all you can do without FI. I am using two turbine mufflers, Airaid Jr intake, Airaid throttle body spacer, DIY battery grounding kit, removed exhaust butterfly valves, resonator delete, and ported/polished throttle body. No tune yet but car is pretty damn quick. I think there is at least 10 to 15 more HP left on the table without the tune.
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:09 AM   #5
NowaChevyGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT1 RS Black on Black
CAI - K&N (as they get older watch for vacuum leaks on the sound tube blockoff)
Borla SType catback - I wanted a quieter exhaust that would open up under throttle.
JMS Throttle Max - Not HP but steps up your throttle (get the optional knob, a must)
Ported TB
Rear Diff - Swapped out for a diff from a 2017 2.0T Manual. These are a 3.23 ratio LSD (awesome)
Trifecta Tune - accounts for the gear change and ties it all together.
BMR Sway Bars
SS Brembo front brake swap.

I'm pretty happy. It's quick, corners on rails and stops on a dime.
2016 RS - Trifecta Tuned, 3.23 diff swap, Borla S Type, JMS Throttle Controller, Lambo doors, Monster stereo, GM LED rear tail lights, BMR swaybars/End Links/Trailing Arms, tinted dark and murdered out.[/br]
Car kicks ass! $20k.. and I get 20mpg with my foot in it, everywhere I go!.... Say somethin about V6's now...
NowaChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:16 AM   #6
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by conall View Post
Congratulations!
My mods are more expensive than what most people use, but they have been dyno-tested separately:
15 hp gain on the aFe CAI system, and at least 11 hp on the Overkill 80 mm throttle body.
There's definitely a very noticeable difference in low-end performance, but they also help in high passing at high rpm's.

I don't do timed runs on the 1/8 or 1/4 mile track, though.
My focus is on high performance driver training on technical tracks with various types of turns.
Just the 80 mm TB on it's own gave you 11 hp? Did you have ant issues with fitment or check engine lights or anything?
Old 06-15-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Just the 80 mm TB on it's own gave you 11 hp? Did you have ant issues with fitment or check engine lights or anything?
If the V6 OEM unit was as poorly designed as the SS TB, i believe it would give at least that, and be WAY more responsive at partial throttle/low rpms. You shouldn't get any check engine lights and install takes 15 minutes.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:50 AM   #8
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
If the V6 OEM unit was as poorly designed as the SS TB, i believe it would give at least that, and be WAY more responsive at partial throttle/low rpms. You shouldn't get any check engine lights and install takes 15 minutes.
Wow if you're right about this, then this sounds like a great bang for the buck. Probably wouldn't really even notice it under the hood, since the engine cover lays over it. I think I need to look into this a bit more
Old 06-15-2020, 09:36 AM   #9
RyanR623

Quote:
Wow if you're right about this, then this sounds like a great bang for the buck. Probably wouldn't really even notice it under the hood, since the engine cover lays over it. I think I need to look into this a bit more
Have Soler port an OEM one for you so it looks stock. And yes, it's the best bang for your buck upgrade i've done to any of my vehicles.

https://www.solerengineering.com/store/se1014-72
Old 06-15-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Have Soler port an OEM one for you so it looks stock. And yes, it's the best bang for your buck upgrade i've done to any of my vehicles.

https://www.solerengineering.com/store/se1014-72
Thanks for that info, I'm definitely checking this out. That's cheaper than a axle back or cold air intake, and offers way more performance. And having the stock one worked over, you'd never visually know any mod was done. Crazy lol. Just having better throttle response, and eliminating the dead spot would be worth it alone, but picking up another possible 11hp is just more icing on the cake.

So let me ask you this, is there any downside at all to doing this? I've read the occasional CEL with cold air intakes, but half the time it seems like it's human error on the install or something along those lines.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:10 AM   #11
RyanR623

Quote:
Thanks for that info, I'm definitely checking this out. That's cheaper than a axle back or cold air intake, and offers way more performance. And having the stock one worked over, you'd never visually know any mod was done. Crazy lol. Just having better throttle response, and eliminating the dead spot would be worth it alone, but picking up another possible 11hp is just more icing on the cake.

So let me ask you this, is there any downside at all to doing this? I've read the occasional CEL with cold air intakes, but half the time it seems like it's human error on the install or something along those lines.
I can only speak for the SS, but i haven't had any codes with my rotofab/Ported Throttle body combo, yet lol. I would have to think they didn't orient the MAF sensor correctly if they got a code, but with the rotofab it would be hard to do that.

It totally eliminated the dead spot, lag, and made the car feel more spirited and light. And everyone that has done the ported throttle body has said the same, for the Lt1 at least. Might want to look up if people are getting similar results in the V6.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:15 AM   #12
HCI2000SS

Quote:
I can only speak for the SS, but i haven't had any codes with my rotofab/Ported Throttle body combo, yet lol. I would have to think they didn't orient the MAF sensor correctly if they got a code, but with the rotofab it would be hard to do that.

It totally eliminated the dead spot, lag, and made the car feel more spirited and light. And everyone that has done the ported throttle body has said the same, for the Lt1 at least. Might want to look up if people are getting similar results in the V6.
Nice. Yeah I'm gonna check out the V6 sections now. Thanks for this information. I never even considered something like this before
Old 06-15-2020, 02:18 PM   #13
Spudsmaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 6 SPEED MANUAL CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowwmaroo View Post
Has anyone done major or even little work to enhance speed/ performance of their 16-18 6th gen camaro v6, 3.6l? i’m getting an intake soon but if anyone has any recommendations for what else to add as well as good brands that’d be very helpful. my ig is slowwmaroo_lt if that’s easier
i have the 80mm throttle body and ported intake manifold combo from overkill i 100% recommend this mod it will give your v6 life. K&N CAI is also a great upgrade as well sounds great looks great feels great. removing your stock exhaust system is another way to get great sound and performance, American racing headers offers aftermarket downpipes for the lgx engine either with cats or without. remove your secondary cats and put an x pipe or h pipe there you can keep stock resonator or replace for resonated x pipe or straight pipe and an axle back will work fine or you can get a cat back but with a cat back you cannot have an x pipe unless it comes with one but for the lgx they dont offer a catback system that has an x pipe. along with all of this i would recommend a trifecta tune or an overkill tune, customs tunes are okay but you want a good tuner.

with all of these mods im making 358 rwhp and 307 torque on 93.
Spudsmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:26 PM   #14
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudsmaro View Post
i have the 80mm throttle body and ported intake manifold combo from overkill i 100% recommend this mod it will give your v6 life. K&N CAI is also a great upgrade as well sounds great looks great feels great. removing your stock exhaust system is another way to get great sound and performance, American racing headers offers aftermarket downpipes for the lgx engine either with cats or without. remove your secondary cats and put an x pipe or h pipe there you can keep stock resonator or replace for resonated x pipe or straight pipe and an axle back will work fine or you can get a cat back but with a cat back you cannot have an x pipe unless it comes with one but for the lgx they dont offer a catback system that has an x pipe. along with all of this i would recommend a trifecta tune or an overkill tune, customs tunes are okay but you want a good tuner.

with all of these mods im making 358 rwhp and 307 torque on 93.
So you're making 358 to the tire with just exhaust, CAI, ported TB and intake, and 93 octane on stock tune?