Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
Johnjan

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
More thoughts about M6 bog...

Has anyone tried one of these?

https://www.jmschip.com/pedalmax/

Or this, which is similar in concept but appears to have some adjustability?

https://www.sprintboosterusa.com/product/sbch0073s-sprint-booster-select-v3/

Assuming that it is a calibration issue, which I think it is. Who wants to be the Guinea pig?
Johnjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
What is this bog that you speak of? Never seen it..
Old 03-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnjan View Post
Has anyone tried one of these?

https://www.jmschip.com/pedalmax/

Or this, which is similar in concept but appears to have some adjustability?

https://www.sprintboosterusa.com/product/sbch0073s-sprint-booster-select-v3/

Assuming that it is a calibration issue, which I think it is. Who wants to be the Guinea pig?
It may be a calibration thing, but it’s definitely intentional. The M6 can’t handle as much off the line torque as the A10 with a torque converter, so the computer quickly reacts to save it from detonation. Maybe Chevy will build a better M6 for the next gen Camaro, but judging how DCT seems to be in Camaro’s future... probably won’t happen.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringBirdAloha View Post
It may be a calibration thing, but it’s definitely intentional. The M6 can’t handle as much off the line torque as the A10 with a torque converter, so the computer quickly reacts to save it from detonation. Maybe Chevy will build a better M6 for the next gen Camaro, but judging how DCT seems to be in Camaro’s future... probably won’t happen.
Have people been blowing up the M6? I don't know that I've seen evidence of many failures but granted I haven't been looking that hard either.
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
The problem is manufactures keep developing the motor but there is no development with the manual transmission. Yes the automatics have amazing torque capacity and power handling characteristics so will the new dual clutch stuff but the traditional six speed manual transmission that they’ve been using for years is not up to the task of this big new modern power and traction.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:04 PM   #6
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 18 ZL1 - M6
This looks very intriguing. Almost seems like the perfect answer. Anyone have a reason "not" to buy and install this?
SHE'Z 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Liquidstone

Drives: 2018 ZL11LE
https://youtu.be/kkGAFw2v8IM

Similar product, same idea. Seems worth it.
Anybody have this installed?
Liquidstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
SHE'Z 18

LL.. I was actually watching that video when I saw your post.. I'm sold on this and plan to get it.. Definitely looking forward to installing it. Even if she doesn't have the same lag/bog that others are experiencing, this should only improve the throttle response and giddy-up... I realize it won't affect HP or speed. But, for the thrill, performance and safety factors, I'm sold.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:55 AM   #9
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
All kidding aside about the bog, I don't think Chevy "makes" the M6 in these. From what I understand, it is made by Tremec.

According to a few websites I just looked at, it is built to withstand up to 700lb/ft of torque. So, I see where you guys are concerned. It can handle a stock motor, but if you take it up to 800lb/ft, it could break things...
Old 03-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
Liquidstone

Drives: 2018 ZL11LE
Quote:
LL.. I was actually watching that video when I saw your post.. I'm sold on this and plan to get it.. Definitely looking forward to installing it. Even if she doesn't have the same lag/bog that others are experiencing, this should only improve the throttle response and giddy-up... I realize it won't affect HP or speed. But, for the thrill, performance and safety factors, I'm sold.
Lol ya its intriguing to say the least. I can see it helping the 60ft times. Good chance I'll buy it
Liquidstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #11
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I am no professional tuner, but I'm 99.9% sure that this won't help performance one iota. It may FEEL more responsive, less bog prone, and easier to not stall. But the computers in this car are way too smart to let a little accelerated throttle ramp get around it's limitations. That's all that these throttle controllers do; in essence, multiply the throttle input to make the ECU think the throttle is being opened quicker. However, the ECU will still manage the throttle as it sees necessary to keep the stock torque parameters to protect the drivetrain. So yeah, it may open to 40% throttle faster under WOT in first gear, but it's still 40% throttle...
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #12
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I am no professional tuner, but I'm 99.9% sure that this won't help performance one iota. It may FEEL more responsive, less bog prone, and easier to not stall. But the computers in this car are way too smart to let a little accelerated throttle ramp get around it's limitations. That's all that these throttle controllers do; in essence, multiply the throttle input to make the ECU think the throttle is being opened quicker. However, the ECU will still manage the throttle as it sees necessary to keep the stock torque parameters to protect the drivetrain. So yeah, it may open to 40% throttle faster under WOT in first gear, but it's still 40% throttle...
I think you are absolutely right. For these exact reasons I do not believe there would be any tangible performance increase.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:30 PM   #13
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I’d say that’s spot on. All these things do is change how the ECU sees your input from the accelerator pedal. All the torque limits and controls are still in place. This is the same thing the ‘sport’ button did on the E46 M3, Z8, and others nearly 20 years ago now. Makes the throttle feel snappier, but that’s really it.

I’m just an amateur self tuner, but you should be able to do the same by tweaking the driver demand table. That’s what controls requested torque vs throttle pedal position. I’ve never felt a need to mess with the part throttle settings though, as I don’t have any issues with the feel. Especially in Sport mode, where it’s already opening quicker in relation to pedal travel.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #14
SHE'Z 18

I'm definitely not a professional tuner either. However, for the limited amount of $ and effort needed to install a throttle controller, I think it you'd absolutely get a "result" that fits the bill. From everything that I've seen and read, its clear that this device "will not" increase HP or torque. However, it does appear to get the most out of the HP at a much quicker rate than the stock set-up. The other thing is that it does "not" interfere with the tune, which I think we all would agree is by far the best option. I just don't want to give a dealership any reason whatsoever to tell me "no" to any warranty claims / issues. Perhaps when she'z beyond the warranty, I'll reconsider that plan.

On that note, are there any (other) known fixes for "bog" that would not void warranty? I'd love to have options..

Thanks guys..