Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-22-2021, 07:07 AM   #1
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Please Help. Car smells like hot oil.

Hello all.
I purchased a 2020 LT1 this summer. Very happy with the car. No issues until last week.

I noticed that once the engine and oil get up to temp, I can smell a hot oil smell inside the car at stoplights. It doesn't smell like burning oil, just hot oil.

I have popped the hood and looked to see if there are any leaks, and I can't find anything. I checked the filler neck, drain plug, oil filter; nothing, not a drop. I even disconnected the breather tubes and checked the PCV system; dry as a bone. I also took the engine covers off and looked under each.

I started to think the oil was too full, so I let the motor cool and drained about 1/2 a quart yesterday. I checked the oil this morning and it was about 1/2 a quart low, so I added it back before leaving for work today.

Has anyone heard of this happening? I have laid in the engine bay to see if I can track down the smell with my nose, and the only place I smell hot oil is directly over the intake manifold cover. I have sniffed everywhere and cannot pin point this.

The car is obviously still under full warranty, but I feel like this is going to be a complete pain in the butt for the dealership to figure out.

Thanks in advance,
Brandan
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:22 AM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Can't help ya with this one...My previous 15 Mustang would smell hot at odd times and I could never pin it down, no leaks or smoke lol
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #3
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Never get that with my LT1. If you don't see drips or runs of oil then i don't know what it could be.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:10 AM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Since the car still has warranty I would take it in to the dealership and let them check it so you will have documentation of the issue if something major develops.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #5
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Maybe something you drove through is on the exhaust? Try a touchless car wash with a bottom wash to see if that helps.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:24 AM   #6
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
My previous two new camaros did the same thing, only right after a fresh oil change. Not sure why. It did go away after short time. Speculation online here was that some drops oil might have have dripped on the engine during the refill. Since I did the changes myself maybe, but highly unlikely. So in the end I wasnt sure why mine smelled like hot oil either???
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:47 AM   #7
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Mine does that after every oil change until it eventually it burns off. My suspicion is that it is the area around the oil filter but not 100% sure. It’s a bit of a mystery though.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:06 AM   #8
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I've not experienced this on my 2017 Camaro SS, so it's probably not normal.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #9
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
On the passenger side of the oil pan there's a sensor that goes into the side of it sealed with o-ring. My 2016 had very slight seepage that came from that sensor and the exhaust runs right by there. I had this same issue with my 2016 2SS. It's very difficult to spot right after an oil change because it's fresh and clean. It took quite a while to find the source of my oil smell when stopping.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:09 AM   #10
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Wow thanks guys/gals. I wasn't expecting to get replies this quick.

Thank you Aragorn and sengli. I had an oil change about 500 miles ago. That is also about the same time that I noticed the smell. I will say that this is the second time I have changed the oil; both times myself, in my garage. 10qts of Mobil 1 and a PF64 filter.

I initially thought that I spilled something when I filled the motor, however when I pulled the engine cover and valve cover "shields", I noticed that everything is "matte aluminum" just as it was from the factory. I checked the oil filter area too, matte finish and dry as a bone.

Nancygrl, I'll check around underneath in that area also.

LT4Greg; Unfortunely, if I cant find anything this week, the car will need to go to the dealer and see what they think.

Thanks for the input so far.

BK
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #11
MATEOLT1SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 10-speed
I had the same issue with my SS and it ended up being a pinion seal leak but no fluid ever hit the ground. Check everything!
MATEOLT1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:13 PM   #12
Clearly_Canadian

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro
Weird this should come up. I just got my car back from the shop last week and the first thing I noticed was the oil smell. They installed a new shifter so a lot under the car was removed. But it doesn't want a hot oil smell. Took it to the car wash and even did a complete walk around sniffing away while in the line for the wash. Couldn't find anything amiss. No leak either. I too am stumped. I haven't driven her since after the wash and I don't drive her daily. But it is something I am now tuned into.

Sub'd
Old 02-22-2021, 07:39 PM   #13
jb_camaro_2ss

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Arctic Blue
A little spilled oil after an oil change will cause that smell, especially if it gets on the exhaust. You may have spilled a few drops even though you could not locate it. It almost always happens when I change my oil on my cars, no matter how careful I am. If that is your issue, the smell should go away after a few drives as the oil burns off. Otherwise, it's a trip to the dealer under warranty.

jb_camaro_2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:40 PM   #14
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Same here. Hot oil smell that doesn’t exactly smell like burned oil. Very noticeable when at a stoplight and it’s been doing it for a while now. Car has 4K miles on the clock. I can’t for the love of God figure out its origin as I’ve checked everywhere I can think of. I’m waiting til’ early spring to take it in to the stealership. Let us know what they find on your Camaro if anything.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote