Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 02-20-2021, 10:08 PM   #85
Sleep

Drives: 2021 LT1
I would rather change my oil myself anytime. I know it’s done right and has the right oil and a really good filter. But ...... before buying my new LT1 I looked at a bunch of different cars on sites like Carvana. In the evaluation process I would invariably look at the car’s CARFAX. I’m sure some of the cars I looked at were actually meticulously maintained by the previous owner but, as a potential buyer, I pretty much had to assume if routine maintenance didn’t show up on the CARFAX it very well might not have been done. I’m sure you all can see where this is going. I’m afraid free and easy access to CARFAX and similar services is going to impact my diy vs dealer oil change decision. I might change oil more often, but a least once a year or every 5000 miles I think I’ll get a dealer service so it shows up on the CARFAX when I eventually decide to sell the car.
Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:49 PM   #86
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep View Post
I would rather change my oil myself anytime. I know it’s done right and has the right oil and a really good filter. But ...... before buying my new LT1 I looked at a bunch of different cars on sites like Carvana. In the evaluation process I would invariably look at the car’s CARFAX. I’m sure some of the cars I looked at were actually meticulously maintained by the previous owner but, as a potential buyer, I pretty much had to assume if routine maintenance didn’t show up on the CARFAX it very well might not have been done. I’m sure you all can see where this is going. I’m afraid free and easy access to CARFAX and similar services is going to impact my diy vs dealer oil change decision. I might change oil more often, but a least once a year or every 5000 miles I think I’ll get a dealer service so it shows up on the CARFAX when I eventually decide to sell the car.

Seriously? Do it yourself and save your receipts. If it makes you feel good, take a picture of your mileage and the supplies / save to a file.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:31 AM   #87
Sleep

What you suggest works fine for warranty issues. My point is any service without a record accessible by CARFAX or similar service didn’t happen from the perspective of a commercial car purchaser (dealer, etc.) or subsequent buyer. CARFAX and similar services list service and repair records for your car’s VIN from databases including OEMs, national service chains (Goodyear, NTB, etc.), insurance companies and body shops.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:29 AM   #88
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
What you suggest works fine for warranty issues. My point is any service without a record accessible by CARFAX or similar service didn’t happen from the perspective of a commercial car purchaser (dealer, etc.) or subsequent buyer. CARFAX and similar services list service and repair records for your car’s VIN from databases including OEMs, national service chains (Goodyear, NTB, etc.), insurance companies and body shops.
I’m not certain why you wrote the post to begin with, if that’s how you feel. Maybe you’re smarter than everyone that does their own maintenance? All I can tell you is that I’ve owned over 35 cars... and what your describing has NEVER been an issue. As a matter of fact, I’ve NEVER been asked for maintenance paperwork on a trade in to a dealer, or another resale agent. Private parties may ask. ....Sure, I keep MY records. Just in case...

In general, people review Carfax for chain of ownership, miles and accidents. It can’t be assumed that if maintenance isn’t shown, it hasn’t been done.

Last edited by Chutzpah; 02-21-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:54 AM   #89
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
If you're focused on what the CARFAX for your car says when you're looking to sell it (and you haven't even bought it yet), you've already lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I’m not certain why you wrote the post to begin with, if that’s how you feel. Maybe you’re smarter than everyone that does their own maintenance? All I can tell you is that I’ve owned over 35 cars... and what your describing has NEVER been an issue. As a matter of fact, I’ve NEVER been asked for maintenance paperwork on a trade in to a dealer, or another resale agent. Private parties may ask. ....Sure, I keep MY records. Just in case...

In general, people review Carfax for chain of ownership, miles and accidents. It can’t be assumed that if maintenance isn’t shown, it hasn’t been done.
Agreed. I'm wondering why my two owner car went half away across the country in 12 months, was in three accidents, and shows possible odometer accuracy issues. Validating oil changes starts with a pull of the dipstick before I sign the papers. Carvana and Vroom! are so stupidly overpriced for what you get...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #90
gchu

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
You can actually enter your DIY oil changes on CarFax for free.....
gchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:19 PM   #91
Sleep

Thanks ghcu!!! Obviously I had no idea. I will be doing my own oil changes and logging them in.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:04 AM   #92
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
If you trade in to a dealer, they could care less about what is on your CarFax... If you sell privately, if you take your own records in excel or some other means, that is far more valuable than what CarFax may show, IMO. I keep an Excel log for all the cars I work on and keep detailed notes on what was done, what fluids, mileage, etc... If I was buying a used car privately, I'd much more appreciate something like this over what is shown on a CarFax.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #93
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invertalon View Post
If you trade in to a dealer, they could care less about what is on your CarFax... If you sell privately, if you take your own records in excel or some other means, that is far more valuable than what CarFax may show, IMO. I keep an Excel log for all the cars I work on and keep detailed notes on what was done, what fluids, mileage, etc... If I was buying a used car privately, I'd much more appreciate something like this over what is shown on a CarFax.
This is not true.

Dealerships DO care about what's shown on the CarFax if it has any influence on making it harder for them to dispose of the car. And they will 100% use any negative marks against you.

If your car looks and runs like it has been maintained and is in good condition, then it is true that a dealership will not care if a CarFax shows no maintenance records.

I agree with you that a private seller that wants to hand over a file folder of receipts or any level of documentation about maintenance on their car shows me that they cared about/for the vehicle, no matter what any 'report' from a third-party would show.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #94
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchu View Post
Considering the cost of changing 10 quarts of synthetic oil - debating when to change my oil next. I last changed it in May 2020, about 2K miles ago...

Oil minder is showing 25% life left.... Not sure if this is based on mileage or engine hours...
The OLM uses an algorithm that takes several things into account, including calendar, engine hours, miles, trip duration, temps, and more.

Change per OLM and send a sample to Blackstone for testing. Pay the extra $ for TBN (total base number). If you run E85, change 2x as often (@ 50% OLM).
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote