Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-15-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
Brut4c

Drives: Toyota Tacoma, Dodge Viper SRT-10
New to my son '16 p0300

Hi, new here and haven't introduced myself yet. My 17y/o son just bought a cpo '16 v6 rs a couple weeks ago. Like new with only 13k miles on it. Anyway on its' two week anniversary the check engine light came on. I plugged in my code reader and got a p0300. Took it back to the dealer since it's still got a bumper to bumper warranty and we're waiting to hear. Figured I'd post up what the repair ends up being when he gets it back. Disappointed for him as he has two jobs and works 7 days a week to have bought himself the car, his first.
Brut4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #2
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
He will be okay and soon will forget the problem. My son, Little Rickey, first car was a dealer bought used Camaro. As is sale but within several days the entire right side of engine gave out. I called the owner of the dealership. He immediately agreed to cover the cost of the repairs even though there was not a warranty. About a year later Little Rickey took his beloved Camaro to Firestone for a simple oil change. We picked up the car. It made it not more than 3 blocks and stopped. We towed it to Firestone. Manager called a day later, "Mr. Little Rickey, we owe you a new engine." They took the oil out but failed to replace it. As a result the little fellow got a new engine with a 2 year warranty installed into his used Camarro.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:25 PM   #3
Brut4c

Dealer called this afternoon, needs an ignition coil and its not in stock. Should be in tomorrow and he'll be back in business. Seems odd that a coil would go bad on a car with so little miles but it is what it is. Also surprised it would be specific to the car and not in stock but whatever.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:42 PM   #4
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Chalk it up to "things happen" and hopefully it is smooth sailing from here with the RS's great performance-per-dollar value! I got my cpo 2016 RS in late 2017 with only around 6K miles on it. The solenoid for the passenger door lock went out not long after, and I had the same thought about a low mileage failure in a part like that. However, now I am at 44K miles down the road with no other part failures since then...
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:06 PM   #5
Brut4c

Well, car was picked up at lunch today, as of this evening he took it out and the check engine light was back on. Car will be getting dropped off back at the dealer tomorrow.

Edit; plugged in my code reader and no set or pending codes and the light is now off. Not sure what to do. Maybe let him drive it and see what happens. He only works a couple miles from home so if there's a problem I'm pretty confident he's not driving it far enough to do damage.

Last edited by Brut4c; 02-16-2021 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:12 PM   #6
Brut4c

So, MIL continues to come on almost every time my son drives the car. Random, not dependent on speed or throttle input. He says it blinks for a few seconds and goes off. I again plugged in my code reader and no set or pending codes. He took some video of the dash and the light coming on while driving as proof for the dealer service dept. It will get dropped off again tomorrow. Hoping it gets fixed.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:36 PM   #7
Brut4c

So, picked the car up this evening. Dealer says the mechanic got two codes - p0016 and p0018. They changed the cam actuator on both bank one and bank two. I took the car for a brief drive, maybe 20min and no light and brought it home for my son who was still at work. Just got a text from him the light is back on again. I left the dealer service dept a message that he will be dropping the car back off first thing tomorrow morning and that we want a refund for the car.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #8
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Sounds like your typical dealership mechanics. Lazy as **** and don't know how to troubleshoot or fix cars beyond changing parts based off codes.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #9
Brut4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post
Sounds like your typical dealership mechanics. Lazy as **** and don't know how to troubleshoot or fix cars beyond changing parts based off codes.
Exactly. Poor poor customer service too. Service manager didn’t return a text or phone call asking for updates earlier this week. I left a message last night with the service dept and as of noon today still haven’t been contacted. They open a t 7:00am. Schumacher in Denville nj for anyone considering using them. He’s owned the car four weeks and it’s on its third trip back. The time it’s been in his possession the MIL has been on. Really souring the experience for him. I’m considering asking the dealer for an extension on his cpo bumper to bumper warranty as compensation. I think that’s fair as it doesn’t cost them a cent if they can actually fix the car.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:56 PM   #10
Brut4c

Next update - this is the service report from post #7, dealer trip number 2. MIL was as I said right back on an hour or so after pick up and the car went back the next morning. I picked it back up today after service trip #3.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2021, 09:08 PM   #11
Brut4c

And... picked the car up today from service visit #3. Service manager claims that there is a brand new tsb for the car that came out last month (while the car was there, but he just ignored my stating that). Any, more parts changed. This time rocker arm actuators on cyl # 1&5. Says they drove the car. Swears it’s fixed. My just took it out for a drive and guess what, MIL is back on steady and he got an email on it from Onstar. Car will be going back tomorrow. I’ve told my wife to drop it off and tell them not to work on it while I consult a lemon law lawyer. Today’s service receipt from repair attempt #3.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #12
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Sorry for your families terrible experience here FWIW.

Any update?
Old 03-07-2021, 09:19 AM   #13
Brut4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupilbone View Post
Sorry for your families terrible experience here FWIW.

Any update?
Thanks. They are now on to blaming my son, saying they pulled the black box data and he is using the paddle shifters improperly. Highest rpm shown was 6730. There was a meeting with my wife, son, service mngr, possibly the GM and another guy who wasn't clearly identified whom apparently was there to brag that he races cars and knows what he's talking about. The meeting should not have happened without me imho. I have several problems with their conclusion. How could improper paddle use damage a coil, which was replaced on the first visit. How would it have damaged the cam actuators, which were both replaced trip 2. Trip 3 is really sketchy, the S/M says "we finally found the problem, it's fixed". shows me the tsb (here; https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588977 ) and parts replaced. But... the the tsb says to replace the part on cyl 2&5, they did cyl 1&5. The tsb also lists other vehicles involved. Google says no paddles on acadia, canyon or colorado. It also states a cause for the problem which makes no mention of it being shifting related. Anyway, meeting end, they turn off the mil, no paperwork saying why it was on and send them home. So far the mil is still off but I've got to admit I'm not comfortable with the situation.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #14
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
What a bunch of crap from the dealer. The paddle shift is blocked if rpm is too high so you cannot "improperly use" the paddles.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote