Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-25-2021, 01:32 PM   #43
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddivinia View Post
C8 blinds spots are horrible.

C8 HTC does not feel like a convertible with the nacelles.

No manual trans

C8 trans at low speeds feels very clunky.

D.
If you think the C8 blind spots are bad, you better buckle-up for the ZL1 blind spots (top up). The lack of a manual was known up front, but I hear ya. That new DCT should not feel "clunky"... did you try taking it to the dealer? Though they can't improve blind spots or convertible feel.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:48 PM   #44
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
No need for pause, we have a C8 Z51 and ZL1, stock to stock, I'd take the C8 all day over the ZL1. The only reason I have my ZL1 is because I modified it, I can't really do that with the C8 due to PCM tuning limitations right now.
If you could tune the C8 what would you do? Because it’s NA there aren’t a lot of gains to be had from tuning—maybe a cam would open it up.

When they release the turbo or SC versions, tuning will provide a lot of opportunity for power gains.

Ive seen YouTube videos of people who already installed turbo kits on C8s without tuning, one woman did this and of course blew her motor very soon. If I recall correctly, right after she replaced the motor, she went to the track and the car caught fire. She needs a new mechanic.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:16 PM   #45
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
If you could tune the C8 what would you do? Because it’s NA there aren’t a lot of gains to be had from tuning—maybe a cam would open it up.

When they release the turbo or SC versions, tuning will provide a lot of opportunity for power gains.

Ive seen YouTube videos of people who already installed turbo kits on C8s without tuning, one woman did this and of course blew her motor very soon. If I recall correctly, right after she replaced the motor, she went to the track and the car caught fire. She needs a new mechanic.
That’s funny, & sad, all at the same time.

I’d like to see that vid.

I do wonder if GM will allow places like Calloway tune them?

Let the lawsuits commence!
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #46
ddivinia

Drives: 19 ZR1 20 350R Wife -> 24 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
If you think the C8 blind spots are bad, you better buckle-up for the ZL1 blind spots (top up). The lack of a manual was known up front, but I hear ya. That new DCT should not feel "clunky"... did you try taking it to the dealer? Though they can't improve blind spots or convertible feel.
Oh I get it. I don’t see the zl1 having the top up often.

DCT at low speeds in a parking lot isn’t very inspiring. On the road it works great.

We prefer a manual trans.

D.
ddivinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:08 AM   #47
ddivinia

Drives: 19 ZR1 20 350R Wife -> 24 ZL1 Vert
Another serious consideration is the cabin in the C8. My wife and I have 100ks miles in our fun cars all over the US. For her and I to go on a road trip in the C8 together - not much fun. There is no extra room for nothing. Now before people say - well it is a sports car or your too fat - by a hellcat. There is no room for a handbag in the cabin except in between the passenger's legs. You have to use the trunks. All our other Corvettes: C4, C5, C7, etc - have room behind the seat to throw a small cooler, her pursue, something.

Is the C8 cabin small? It has more legroom than you can imagine. Put the seat all the way back - you can't reach the pedals. I read they are going to change up the interior some.

The tech in the cabin is great. interfaces are good.

Do we hate the car? Nope - we just don't love it. The HTC isn't a real convertible in our option. it is an automated roof remover for a coupe. We have not owned a late model Camaro. Last one I owned was a 1989 IROC-Z convertible. I have rented them and like them. It is her car - her call.

We are car nuts. Had a CT5-V Blackwing reservation but canceled it due to the lack of info on the offering. We have a 2018 CTS-V and not sure we like the new body style but would love to have a stick. I suspect we will get one before they stop making them.

C7 ZR1 is a beast.

GT350R is completley different ride.

I am rambling.

C8 is awesome, but we are going to try a ZL1 vert with a stick.

D.
ddivinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:58 PM   #48
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:

No manual trans

D.

The C8 Z51 we own has none of what you speak of.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:59 PM   #49
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Another serious consideration is the cabin in the C8. My wife and I have 100ks miles in our fun cars all over the US. For her and I to go on a road trip in the C8 together - not much fun. There is no extra room for nothing. Now before people say - well it is a sports car or your too fat - by a hellcat. There is no room for a handbag in the cabin except in between the passenger's legs. You have to use the trunks. All our other Corvettes: C4, C5, C7, etc - have room behind the seat to throw a small cooler, her pursue, something.

Is the C8 cabin small? It has more legroom than you can imagine. Put the seat all the way back - you can't reach the pedals. I read they are going to change up the interior some.

The tech in the cabin is great. interfaces are good.

Do we hate the car? Nope - we just don't love it. The HTC isn't a real convertible in our option. it is an automated roof remover for a coupe. We have not owned a late model Camaro. Last one I owned was a 1989 IROC-Z convertible. I have rented them and like them. It is her car - her call.

We are car nuts. Had a CT5-V Blackwing reservation but canceled it due to the lack of info on the offering. We have a 2018 CTS-V and not sure we like the new body style but would love to have a stick. I suspect we will get one before they stop making them.

C7 ZR1 is a beast.

GT350R is completley different ride.

I am rambling.

D.
This I agree with but we love our C8.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:51 AM   #50
Big Lebowski

Quote:

D.
I came to the same conclusion before ordering my C8...which I have hit the pause button on with my dealer. I have / had a 2021 C8 Red Mist HTC Z51 w/ Spectra Gray Rims and Yellow calipers on order, but after sitting in one multiple times, seeing them in person and countless YouTube videos I kept coming back to the realization that I only “liked” the C8. It didn’t take my (or my wife’s) breath away the way the C6 and C7 did when they came out...that and I REALLY enjoy driving a manual. That doesn’t take away what an accomplishment the C8 is for GM, as I’m a huge Corvette fanboy. I’ve just decided for now, that it isn’t for me... the Z06 might change that, but I digress.

My decision to move on from the C8 was made easier when I found this lightly used 2020 ZL1 M6 Vert two weeks ago, and only just got her home on Friday. It is stunning and is an absolutely blast to drive. FYI - the trunk space sucks with the top down (it’s bigger if the top is up) but the back seat is sizable (for luggage/bags, not passengers) and the interior is roomy for me (6’-4” 260lbs).
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2021, 07:55 AM   #51
Big Lebowski

Quote:

No manual trans

D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
The C8 Z51 we own has none of what you speak of.
Your C8 has a manual transmission?