Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 02-22-2021, 10:21 AM   #15
overdriv

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS 2019 2SS Camaro
Both of my cars has had a California duster used on them. If you have a good coat of wax, ceramic or ppf, you won' get swirls. You must use it correctly though.

I always go in a straight line as much as possible and never press down.

We are just talking about light dust, if it needs washed then the wash n wax spray and micro fiber towels.
overdriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #16
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriv View Post
Both of my cars has had a California duster used on them. If you have a good coat of wax, ceramic or ppf, you won' get swirls. You must use it correctly though.

We are just talking about light dust, if it needs washed then the wash n wax spray and micro fiber towels.
Mine is ceramic coated and whenever I used the duster I was barely touching the paint (just enough to grab the dust) and ONLY ever did it when the car was lightly dusty... I really haven't noticed any scratches/swirls...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:24 PM   #17
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
There is one thing the California duster has been great for - a quick way to wipe dust or pollen off the windows, particularly at the end of the day before I drive home. I always keep one in the trunk.
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:37 PM   #18
gen6_1ss

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin Metallic 1LE
I have one and I use it often. Just like overdriv said, don't press down too hard and go in straight lines.
gen6_1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:57 PM   #19
zirad54

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, MRC, NPP,
been using them for years. Never press down and barely have it touch the paint.
zirad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:00 PM   #20
discgolf01

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible M6
I have ceramic coating and use a Swiffer duster - zero pressure and dust is statically attracted to it. Cheap and disposable.
Attached Images

discgolf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:20 PM   #21
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolf01 View Post
I have ceramic coating and use a Swiffer duster - zero pressure and dust is statically attracted to it. Cheap and disposable.
Oh now THAT is an idea!!! THANKS!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 02-24-2021, 01:53 PM   #22
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I have one that I've been using consistently for 20 years I bet and 5+ different cars, I love it. it has a learning curve to it though, daily and never any more dust that you can get daily and even then you have to be able to eye ball what is too much. And never ever apply pressure. Keep it in it's little holster.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:42 PM   #23
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriv View Post

+1 on all these comments.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:18 PM   #24
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Thanks, did an old 2 bucket wash today and put the cover on since it won't be driven for a couple weeks, I might have to get some rinseless wash and give it a try...

Adams or Griots used with single-soft MF is a good way to handle light dust. For pollen, I'd use a waterless wash vs a detail spray. Pollen is a terror when you see it blown up under a microscope.

Also, I'd strongly re-consider the use of a car cover. Unless stored indoors where there is virtually no air movement (no door opening...no A/C, etc) covers will introduce micro-scratches into the paint. The ends and sides of the cover act as pumps to pull dust/particles from outside air and then beat it against the paint. You'll often get very short, straight lines in areas where the car bends more than 60 degrees.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:25 PM   #25
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Adams or Griots used with single-soft MF is a good way to handle light dust. For pollen, I'd use a waterless wash vs a detail spray. Pollen is a terror when you see it blown up under a microscope.

Also, I'd strongly re-consider the use of a car cover. Unless stored indoors where there is virtually no air movement (no door opening...no A/C, etc) covers will introduce micro-scratches into the paint. The ends and sides of the cover act as pumps to pull dust/particles from outside air and then beat it against the paint. You'll often get very short, straight lines in areas where the car bends more than 60 degrees.
Thanks, I only use the car cover for extended periods when it isn't going to be driven and it is in my garage. Basically my garage stays closed nearly all the time, so the cover never moves. The garage is big enough that even if the door to the house is opened it doesn't induce any airflow currents anywhere near the car. I also only cover the car when it is clean, if it is dirty, it doesn't get covered...

Old 02-28-2021, 08:56 AM   #26
gchu

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
+1 on all these comments.
+2 - I only went straight lines and let the weight of the brush do the work

Did it that way on my 88 IROC Convertible (Red) since it was driven about 500 miles a year. Even though it sat in a garage, it got really dusty. I didn't want to put a cover on it since i liked looking at it LOL
gchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:36 PM   #27
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Waterless/rinseless wash is better. I’d saturate them panel well tho before applying anything to it.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:42 AM   #28
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
#1 single best way to live a stress-free life and never have any concern about swirls no matter how, where, or when you clean your car:

Self-Healing Paint Protection Film.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote