Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #1
ImmDanny

Drives: 2021 1SS, 1969 Convertible
Buying Cetified Pre-Owned, good idea or be wary?

Found a 2018 2SS 1LE near me for what I think is a good price, $43k OTD. It has 5,000 miles on it, one owner. Carfax shows no oil changes or anything else besides it being bought and up for sale again. Is this a concern? I know the break in period is the first few thousands miles and if the car hasn’t even had an oil change it could’ve been someone’s joy ride that they just abused. What is everyone else’s opinions? Should I go for it or avoid. Problem is it’s about 3 hours away so I can’t just go look at it easily, even if I did I wouldn’t be able to tell much besides cosmetic damage.

Just noticed the spelling mistake in title, my bad I’m on mobile.
ImmDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
rickr9504

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1 LE
In my opinion, that is a little too much for a used car, in my area you can get a new one for less than that. But if your heart is set to have that one, only you can make that decision. I am not a big fan of buying used but everyone is different and we all have different experiences.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #3
ImmDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr9504 View Post
In my opinion, that is a little too much for a used car, in my area you can get a new one for less than that. But if your heart is set to have that one, only you can make that decision. I am not a big fan of buying used but everyone is different and we all have different experiences.
For a 2SS 1LE I thought it was a pretty good deal, im having a hard time getting a new 2SS for around the same price.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:19 PM   #4
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
Or the owner was fanatical about his maintenance and did 2 oil changes himself with premium synthetic. It can go both ways and honestly doesn't matter much over the course of 5,000 miles. I'd be more concerned if it was the car that I wanted, optioned out the way I wanted, and at the price I wanted.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:31 PM   #5
ImmDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakins View Post
Or the owner was fanatical about his maintenance and did 2 oil changes himself with premium synthetic. It can go both ways and honestly doesn't matter much over the course of 5,000 miles. I'd be more concerned if it was the car that I wanted, optioned out the way I wanted, and at the price I wanted.
I just want to make sure the car wasn’t abused during the time when it should’ve been babied.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:42 AM   #6
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
no way to know other than too much tire wear for the mileage.i bought a CPO 2015 RS a couple of years ago,saved about 10 grand over new and got a longer warranty because it was a CPO car.i would check to nmke sure all the high tech gizmos work as they should,it could have been traded back in for that reason.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:54 AM   #7
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
You should be able to get a brand new one within $2k-$3k. Or get the 1SS for about the same price, or even a little less. When it comes to the 1LE I felt like the 2SS didn't have enough upgrades (at least not ones I cared about) to make it worth the extra cash.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:42 AM   #8
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
1) 2SS with an LE package is pointless. You want seat warmers while you’re ripping tail at the track? Seriously though, IMO the biggest benefit would be the blind spot sensors.

2) There’s practically no way to tell how a vehicle was cared for over 5000 miles other than physical damage, which wouldn’t be in excess for the mileage (read: there isn’t any) on a CPO.

If it’s in your budget and that’s what you want then go for it but as others have mentioned you can get a new SS 1LE for about the same price. Is the 2SS something you’ve been specifically shopping for? If not you may want to prioritize what you really want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:19 AM   #9
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
You really need to check the car out and drive it. Or have someone you know with experience check it out and drive it. The "Pre certified" thing to me is just a crock- it means that the car was "inspected", or they say it was. You never really know.

Manual transmission cars are especially prone to mis-use in my opinion. People that drive them claim they know how to drive them but to me few really do- I hear and see it a lot just driving around. You can wear a clutch out real fast with abuse of improper training. Automatic cars are easier to buy, less chance of abuse or improper shifting.

Even some new cars I do not like the way they drive some times- it's like they need an alignment or tire pressure not set right. The best way is to test drive and thoroughly check out the car to the best of your ability.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:25 AM   #10
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
That price is too high.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:28 AM   #11
ImmDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
1) 2SS with an LE package is pointless. You want seat warmers while you’re ripping tail at the track? Seriously though, IMO the biggest benefit would be the blind spot sensors.

2) There’s practically no way to tell how a vehicle was cared for over 5000 miles other than physical damage, which wouldn’t be in excess for the mileage (read: there isn’t any) on a CPO.

If it’s in your budget and that’s what you want then go for it but as others have mentioned you can get a new SS 1LE for about the same price. Is the 2SS something you’ve been specifically shopping for? If not you may want to prioritize what you really want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1. Only reason I’m looking at it is because of the price, I’m looking for a regular 2SS as I’m probably never going to track the car anyways. It’s just a daily driver. But if the price was good i thought maybe it’d be dumb to pass up.

If I don’t really care for getting a 1LE (besides those wheels) should I just skip it then? I’d rather not deal with the headache if the car was abused but I know of a brand new 2SS 1LE that’s aboht 7k more so thought the discount might be worth it.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #12
ImmDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage View Post
That price is too high.
What would be a good offer?
Old 08-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #13
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmDanny View Post
What would be a good offer?
What's the price on just the car? I didn't notice the "OTD" note... if that price is for a 2SS and includes tax, title, registration, etc. and full certified warranty to 100k, then it's not too bad. See what you can get them to throw in, like GM mud guards, 1LE mats, or something.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #14
ImmDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage View Post
What's the price on just the car? I didn't notice the "OTD" note... if that price is for a 2SS and includes tax, title, registration, etc. and full certified warranty to 100k, then it's not too bad. See what you can get them to throw in, like GM mud guards, 1LE mats, or something.
Price of car is $39k, so yeah $43k is OTD taxes and all. They didn’t really budge much from their online price.