Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 11-20-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
Jugaal

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
MSD intake and Soler Performance TB

First off, I would like to say that Soler Performance has some absolutely outstanding customer service!

Setup:
-Rotofab dry filter
-MSD Airforce IM
-Soler Performance 95mm(100mm effective) TB
-No tune, yet.

I feel like this was a bit of a unique situation and I haven’t seen any posts with this specific setup. So I figured it’s worth sharing. So... where to start.

I installed everything myself, and I probably spent more time trying to figure out how to disconnect wire connectors than anything else. To remove the OEM TB connector(with the grey tab) I ended up having to break off the grey tab, there was literally no other way. The connector still connects and “clicks” when connecting to the new TB.

I ended up getting the ICT billet adapter for the LT5 95mm TB. And as recommended from Mike at Soler Performance, I had the adapter bored out... Let’s talk about this, because there’s not a whole lot of information out there on this. The ICT billet adapter starts at 95mm, then steps down to 93mm. That step is about 2mm, so basically immediately after it comes off the TB it necks down. This is probably fine for adapting to stock IM, but doesn’t work very well for going to the MSD. So, the solution was to have a machinist(a good one) do a tapered bore, from 95mm to 103mm. Yes, it seals just fine. And yes, I know you can modify the bolt holes on the TB to make it fit, however, airflow-wise, it is far more elegant and efficient to have an adapter that gradually opens up from 95mm to 103mm. As opposed to going from 95mm to a 103mm snout.

Note: No tune, and Rotofab is already installed.

I first installed the MSD IM and tested with stock TB:
-I honestly couldn’t feel much of a difference in lower RPMs, I know a lot of people say you can feel the loss of torque.... I couldn’t. That being said, I could definitely feel more power up at higher RPMs. It seems to really pick up around 3500. Now, it’s not a crazy difference, but just enough to notice.

Then, I installed the TB:
-Right off the bat I noticed the car seems a bit louder and much much deeper tone. Maybe it’s all in my head, but I’ve started that car in the same spot for 2yrs, and I know I noticed something different.

-Basically turned the car into a rocket. The car really does feel “lighter”. I mean, I couldn’t stop giggling, the difference is insane.

-The effect of the MSD IM seems to have been amplified. At 3500, I can really feel the engine wanting to go. Now, I haven’t had a chance to really get on it yet, because the roads were still a bit damp from some rain we had earlier. But, idk how else to describe it.... the power is there, and you know it.

Overall:
It’s like the engine has had a stuffy nose all this time, and this TB/IM combo is analogous to giving it Sudafed. I mean, it woke it the hell up. I know it’s expensive... believe me, I struggled with pulling the trigger for about a month. But it is 100% worth every penny. Sure you can go get a flex kit for half the price, but you’re still gonna be sluggish for half of your power band(I say this loosely). And the power you gain up high is soooo gratifying.

As I said, I haven’t tuned it. So this set up works with stock tune, no CEL. I’m sure it will feel even better and faster once I have it properly tuned.

I’ll update after I get to go WOT tomorrow, weather permitting.
Jugaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:58 AM   #2
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
Nice, I've been bugging them to make an adapter. Even with stock intake manifold it does the step down thing. 95mm, to 93mm to 90mm.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
DCowsert

Drives: 21 Satin Steele ZL1
Im in the middle of the same setup. I have my intake and rotofab installed, my TB is waiting for the TB adapter which will be here on Monday. I went with WeaponX. Im curious now if it is necked down or not, I don't think it is though. Cant wait!
DCowsert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #4
Booher

Mine is from weapon x as well, I'm pretty sure all of the spacers are the same. They don't even have logos on them
Old 11-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #5
stevekin87

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
I have the MSD and a 103mm NW sitting in my garage waiting to install. All I have installed so far on my 2016 camaro 1ss is a rotofab dry filter. Is it safe to install my msd and 103mm NW now and tune later(within 1-2 weeks)?
stevekin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:38 PM   #6
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Drives: 2015 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
Nice, I've been bugging them to make an adapter. Even with stock intake manifold it does the step down thing. 95mm, to 93mm to 90mm.
Booher, I know we are late on that project. I think you can safely install, tune etc with the one you have. Whatever difference a tapered/streamlined adapter will make later on won't be enough to upset the tune. When we are done, the first sample will go out to you. 95mm to 90mm.
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #7
Booher

That is great to hear, thanks guys! I'm glad you are still gonna a be making one.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:57 PM   #8
Jugaal

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
~800mile update:
The MSD compression bolts loosened up a bit, they were torqued down to ~7.5ft-lbs(89in-lbs) with blue loctite and had loosened to about 4.5ft-lbs, as expected, no big deal. The responsiveness from the Soler TB is still very much there. Sometimes it’s easy to forget because you get used to it.

Still need to get it tuned, haven’t had time. Still no CEL, and no leaks.
Jugaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:09 PM   #9
DCowsert

Drives: 21 Satin Steele ZL1
Figured Id come back and throw my info in since I just got my car back from the shop.

Currently have:
Accufab CAI
MSD Ported Intake
Soler 95mm with Weapon X Spacer (Ported the spacer to match TB)
TSP PRC Ported Heads/ TSP Springs/ CHE Trunions
TSP VVT3 Cam/ Johnson 2110 Lifters
Stainless Work Longtubes and X-Pipe/ Stock Suitcase

Made 560 hp on a dynajet and 472 Tq
DCowsert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #10
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC View Post
Booher, I know we are late on that project. I think you can safely install, tune etc with the one you have. Whatever difference a tapered/streamlined adapter will make later on won't be enough to upset the tune. When we are done, the first sample will go out to you. 95mm to 90mm.
Hmm...so your adapter will be a step down from 95mm - 90mm?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Booher wanted it to be a step up?
Old 12-25-2019, 11:42 AM   #11
Booher

I actually needed a step down, my Tb has 95mm opening, then spacer is 92mm, and ported snout on stock Im is 90mm. I was looking for a smooth transition, as mine were like steps. We've been talking and they sent me one to try out. From the pictures I see on here, it should be exactly what I was looking for.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #12
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Thanks, Booher. It should be there today.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #13
Booher

Yes sir, I just got it from my mail. Clean looking piece and is just what I was looking for, you guys are the best, I cant praise you guys enough! I'm gonna toss it in over the weekend, I doubt I'll feel it, but I will have piece of mind now, knowing my airflow will go through the transition alot smoother, thank you very much Mike!
Old 12-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #14
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
Yes sir, I just got it from my mail. Clean looking piece and is just what I was looking for, you guys are the best, I cant praise you guys enough! I'm gonna toss it in over the weekend, I doubt I'll feel it, but I will have piece of mind now, knowing my airflow will go through the transition alot smoother, thank you very much Mike!
I think you might be able to feel it at about 30-40% throttle when the lower edge of the blade is pointing to where there used to be a 95mm to 93mm step, and then another one from 93mm to 91mm, now there is a clean path. That is your best chance anyway. Let us know how it goes.

...and thank you for pushing us in the direction of making these. You are very welcome.

Tags
msd atomic airforce, soler performance