Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-13-2019, 05:55 AM   #29
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I took it through a drive thru, that sound is definitely an exhaust leak. I also developed a rattle on the passenger side, I think its right after the cat, near the bend. So I have some more adjusting to do, yay.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #30
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
So you had to remove the steering shaft too?
Yes, but that's literally a two minute job
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #31
Booher

I decided either mess with it for a couple hours, or just pay an exhaust shop an hour to get it all right. So, I have an appointment friday morning to get it fixed. Figured they do it all the time, should be able to slam it out. I'll give an update friday. I'm trying to install more parts this weekend, but we shall see, I'm spent not having any days off lol. Oh, and it threw the check engine light this morning, haha, idk why I was thinking it might not.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:56 AM   #32
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I must have been damn lucky or else American Racing Headers are just so much easier to install. I started with trying to drop my passenger side in from the top and it was sooooo close to going in but then I tried from the bottom and it slipped up in there on the first try and I did NOT even have to remove the starter. I just removed the starter heat shield temporarily. Drivers side went in from the top without an ounce of issue.

Are these 2in Headers or 1-7/8s? They look pretty big. IF 2in that might be the difference right there.

Good job on winning the battle though!.
lucky. I had to remove the pass side motor mount to get my ARH 1 7/8" in.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #33
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
lucky. I had to remove the pass side motor mount to get my ARH 1 7/8" in.
I view header installation on these cars to be akin to those bent up nail puzzles you get at Cracker Barrell, the ones where you have to manipulate the nails in precisely the right manner to get them separated. I know that the dipstick is in this category. Before I pulled my motor for the latest rounds of mods, I practiced with the dipstick until I could almost snake it in blindfolded.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:49 PM   #34
Booher

Lol right! For the dipstick it was awkward but had it in 5 minutes. Basically held the header in one hand, not bolted to anything, but in its place if that makes sense. Then I put the dipstick through the header and just pushed it in, and wiggled the header around and voila. I could have just gotten really lucky, but you never know it might have helped lol
Old 11-14-2019, 10:28 PM   #35
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
see you're suppose to not disconnect the battery and then weld the dip stick to the starter.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:44 PM   #36
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I view header installation on these cars to be akin to those bent up nail puzzles you get at Cracker Barrell, the ones where you have to manipulate the nails in precisely the right manner to get them separated. I know that the dipstick is in this category. Before I pulled my motor for the latest rounds of mods, I practiced with the dipstick until I could almost snake it in blindfolded.
Oof, you might be right. I'm too retarded for those games. That's why I'll let someone else install them for me.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:59 AM   #37
Booher

Rofl
Old 11-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #38
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
Lol right! For the dipstick it was awkward but had it in 5 minutes. Basically held the header in one hand, not bolted to anything, but in its place if that makes sense. Then I put the dipstick through the header and just pushed it in, and wiggled the header around and voila. I could have just gotten really lucky, but you never know it might have helped lol
So if you were holding the header in place, but not bolted in, why couldn't you have put a bold on and thread the dipstick in since the header would be in the same position as holding it?
Just trying to figure out what you did, so I know what I'll have to do!
Old 11-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #39
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Because you need more wiggle room than the loose bolt would allow. What’s the rush in bolting up the header?
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #40
OVRKLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Because you need more wiggle room than the loose bolt would allow. What’s the rush in bolting up the header?
No rush, but why hold the header if you can put a bolt on it?
However, I understand the more wiggle room reasoning.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:01 PM   #41
OVRKLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
I decided either mess with it for a couple hours, or just pay an exhaust shop an hour to get it all right. So, I have an appointment friday morning to get it fixed. Figured they do it all the time, should be able to slam it out. I'll give an update friday. I'm trying to install more parts this weekend, but we shall see, I'm spent not having any days off lol. Oh, and it threw the check engine light this morning, haha, idk why I was thinking it might not.
So how was the appointment with the shop?
Is it all good now!
Old 11-18-2019, 08:07 PM   #42
Booher

Yup, all good, they just adjusted it a little, said it was really easy, I figured, I was just over it heh. Still has a little rattle, I'll attend to that after I get my tuning dealt with. At some points in my wiggling, the headers were further away from the motor than the any bolt would allow easily, at least from what I could tell. I did have a jack stand on the bottom of the collector holding some of the weight.