Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 11-11-2019, 08:14 AM   #15
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I pulled my starter, unbolted my motor mounts and lifted the motor up a couple of inches. Never tried with the starter in place or without lifting the motor as the prevailing notion at the time was that you had to do all this to get the passenger side in. I can't say for sure as it's been a couple of years, but I believe the Kooks instructions said to go this route. While others have since proved that you can get the passenger side header in without disturbing anything, apparently it's not at all easy to do. It could be that this approach is the best compromise; it wasn't that much extra work and my headers dropped in pretty easily. The starter was a bit of a pain to bolt back up though.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #16
Walt.v

Drives: 19' Camaro 1LE
I hope you zip tied your wire harness to your car to prevent any of it touching your heads
Roto-Fab Intake
E85 Flex-Fuel
Eibach Pro-Kit
GP Tuned
Walt.v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #17
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
My Kooks instructions said to remove starter but nothing about the motor mount. I don't see how people can fit it in there without moving anything. Must be really good with their hands or something lol. I have a bag of trees clip zip ties to replace all the ones I broke or cut. Just gotta finish it all up then put those bad boys on. I remember reading about that a while ago, so I ordered a bag lol.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:09 PM   #18
Booher

Got it all put together and realised I forgot the header bolt clips, fml. So I gotta tear it back down a little get access to a few of them. I do need to put them on correct? The wiring harness under the overflow tank didnt have to move much tbh. I think that's what they give you the heat shield tape for lol, sounded good at least. So I put it on and zip ties it for good measure. Started it up, no leaks as of yet, at least under the car, didnt check the top but tried listening for it. I'm not going to drive it tomorrow untill after work because I think I might need to out these header clips in
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #19
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Did you finish?
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:18 AM   #20
LARRY01Z28

Drives: 2001Camaro Z28
thank you for all the info. someday ill be doing this install as well so its good to hear what others had to do.
LARRY01Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #21
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I was just reading thru this thread https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538617 and found the guy's experience with his ARH header installation to be totally opposite of us Kooks guys. He didn't have any issues with his passenger side but spent 3 hours wrestling with the drivers side. He had to remove the steering shaft and motor mount. After removing the shaft, I believe I could have stood back and thrown my driver side header at the motor and it would have gone in.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #22
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I was just reading thru this thread https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538617 and found the guy's experience with his ARH header installation to be totally opposite of us Kooks guys. He didn't have any issues with his passenger side but spent 3 hours wrestling with the drivers side. He had to remove the steering shaft and motor mount. After removing the shaft, I believe I could have stood back and thrown my driver side header at the motor and it would have gone in.
So you had to remove the steering shaft too?
Old 11-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #23
Booher

Yes. Steering shaft is simple two bolts. I went to take my car out and my steering is waaaaay off, somehow my steering wheel must have turned without me noticing. Does anyone have any experience in this, and how to find a neutral spot? I'm gonna jack it up right now and disconnect it, I just dont know how to find the center.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #24
Booher

I put a piece of tape on the steering wheel, it does 5 3/4 rotations, I split it in half but it doesnt seem to work that way, or I'm missing something
Old 11-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #25
Booher

Actually, I reset my wheels and equaled out the steering wheel to speak and it worked. I had to go under the car and put the bolts in to center it up, not a huge deal, but definitely nerve racking for a second
Old 11-12-2019, 06:05 PM   #26
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
Actually, I reset my wheels and equaled out the steering wheel to speak and it worked. I had to go under the car and put the bolts in to center it up, not a huge deal, but definitely nerve racking for a second
That’s what I was going to suggest. Thanks for the information. I’m going to get some Kooks ordered myself and do the install on the ground.

Also, there was a video with 3 guys doing the install on a lift on YT and they sure made it look like it was super easy and I recall they said it didn’t take much time.

I’ll plan on starting on a Saturday morning after reading your process.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #27
Booher

Omg yes, they all make it look so easy. Biggest thing I can say is dont rush, my car is my dd for work, so that adds alot of stress. A pivoting stubby ratchet and a ratchet wrench are lifesavers! Definitely can do it on the ground, and definitely recommend 6 tons jack stands for that extra height. $50 a pair at harbor freight, unless you have some that go higher than 17" like I had, lol. I just took it out, steering is all good, I dont think I have leaks, it's weird, it sounds like the sound ppffff when I accelerate, but when I get off it goes away, even on decel. When I get under the car, under idle, I feel no leaks. Is it possible the headers increased the sound of my rotofab? I would think if it was a leak, I would hear it on decel. I haven't gotten on it, and probably wont untill I get a tune but so far no check engine light, strange, I'm sure it will come on eventually. Maybe because I'm babying it.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:11 PM   #28
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
Omg yes, they all make it look so easy. Biggest thing I can say is dont rush, my car is my dd for work, so that adds alot of stress. A pivoting stubby ratchet and a ratchet wrench are lifesavers! Definitely can do it on the ground, and definitely recommend 6 tons jack stands for that extra height. $50 a pair at harbor freight, unless you have some that go higher than 17" like I had, lol. I just took it out, steering is all good, I dont think I have leaks, it's weird, it sounds like the sound ppffff when I accelerate, but when I get off it goes away, even on decel. When I get under the car, under idle, I feel no leaks. Is it possible the headers increased the sound of my rotofab? I would think if it was a leak, I would hear it on decel. I haven't gotten on it, and probably wont untill I get a tune but so far no check engine light, strange, I'm sure it will come on eventually. Maybe because I'm babying it.
You know I’d have to say if you had a leak with the way the stock NPP ‘talks’ on decel, you’d think that same type of sound would mimic itself.

Since your exhaust is flowing better, you might be hearing the RF!

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote