Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Phastek Performance

Old 08-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #309
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by klslelrl View Post
What about the 2012 Camaro LT. I had my TC changed about 1 year ago and here I am again same symptoms of coarse I’m now out of warranty I contacted GM only to be told there is no cost assistance or anything to help. This repair should have lasted longer. How do we get other years included in the class action suit. I’ve in the past 2 years put 4,000$ into the ac alone from bad design. Thanks. Any guidance of where to find out how to include us in suit would be of great help.
2012? Which transmission is that? They didn't have the A8, did they?
Old 01-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #310
Paul_S

Drives: 2016 2SS
Second Time must of been the charm.

I originally posted on this thread 11-10-2018 and got the TQ flushed with the HP Fluid, reset and all was well for a while. This is my weekend car so it took some time to get miles on it but at ~3K miles later it came back, as prophesied.

This time I opened a Support Case with Chevy on 12/20/19 and took the car into the same local dealer on 1/07/20 as instructed by Chevy support. The transmission tech verified the TCC Solenoid Clutch was defective and "commanded" the shutter on & off. Chevy then authorized replacement of the torques converter, labor, HP fluids, etc, all under warranty after the records clearly showed the HP Fluid had been tried already.

Technicians Notes:

"Commanded TCC Solenoid Clutch on & off and verified shudder goes away"

"Contacted TAC and assistant advised to replace TQ due to damage already done from the non-updated transmission HP Fluid 9.90"

From what I have gathered speaking to the local shop, it seems that in my case the replacement was authorized because the corrected fluid was not in place on the original torque converter & damage had occurred to the TCC Solenoid Clutch. Even though the original TQ has been flushed with the HP Fluid it seems that attempt was too little too late.

Now that a new TQ has been installed along with the correct HP fluid I assume Chevy hopes that this is permanent fix and the problem does not return.

Just thought I'd give everyone an update, thanks.
Paul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:07 PM   #311
OzzieSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I just took delivery of a '16 SS with an A8. Damn sure enough, the tranny/torque converter started this shudder crap on my way home from buying the car. I talked to the service department today and they knew exactly what I was talking about. Just yesterday they did three flushes alone for the same issue. I have an appointment for next week to have mine done. The service manager is pretty confident that my issue will go away once they do the TSB service.

*crossing my fingers*
OzzieSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:11 PM   #312
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieSS View Post
I just took delivery of a '16 SS with an A8. Damn sure enough, the tranny/torque converter started this shudder crap on my way home from buying the car. I talked to the service department today and they knew exactly what I was talking about. Just yesterday they did three flushes alone for the same issue. I have an appointment for next week to have mine done. The service manager is pretty confident that my issue will go away once they do the TSB service.

*crossing my fingers*
Hmm, how nice it would have been if they'd done the flush before handing over the keys... it's not like they didn't know you'd return and demand it. Hope they'll come through for you

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:15 PM   #313
OzzieSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Hmm, how nice it would have been if they'd done the flush before handing over the keys... it's not like they didn't know you'd return and demand it.
Supposedly an older lady owned the car is what I was told. My salesman told me she probably didn't notice the shuddering. Either way, I'm sure the car has been driven by other dealership employees and I would think someone had to notice the shuddering. Of course no one bothered to do anything about it.....
Old 01-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #314
Paul_S

Drives: 2016 2SS
I bought my 2016 2SS w/ the A8 tranny in September of 2018 with ~12K miles on it.

The previous owner did not tell me either and I found out the hard way just like OzzieSS.

It really all depends if the TCC Solenoid Clutch in the TQ has sustained damage from the wrong fluid if the new flush with the High Performance Fluid fixes it. In most every cases on this thread (including mine) it did not.

My best advice to you is to drive it as much as you can until the shudder comes back. The type of driving does not seem to matter, highway or city, just drive it!

I would have a high degree of confidence that the shudder will return. It really is a matter of time and mileage before the high performance fluid does not provide the relief to the possibly damaged TCC Solenoid Clutch in the TQ and the shudder returns when in 8th gear. In my case it was ~3K miles, some shorter, some longer. but they all return.

Once the shudder came back, in my case, the authorization for the new TQ came through with the high performance fluid, all under the 6 year, 60K warranty and I took delivery with $0 cost.

I just pray that the new TQ with the correct fluid fixes the problem for good but you can bet I will be driving it as much as I can to make sure.
Paul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:41 PM   #315
OzzieSS

Here's a thought.... I bought one of the those Range OBD dongle thingys that prevents AFM from kicking in. I plugged it in and I've been driving now for four days. The shuddering hasn't happened since I began using the AFM disabler thing.

So why is it the shuddering only happens when the car goes in AFM mode?
Old 01-21-2020, 08:57 PM   #316
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieSS View Post
Here's a thought.... I bought one of the those Range OBD dongle thingys that prevents AFM from kicking in. I plugged it in and I've been driving now for four days. The shuddering hasn't happened since I began using the AFM disabler thing.

So why is it the shuddering only happens when the car goes in AFM mode?
That's just how it begins.

My theory, based on research and input from others here who have significant in-depth knowledge, is that your factory transmission tune (see some of it in the screenshot below) allows much more torque converter clutch slip under low, but nonzero engine load with AFM enabled ("DoD" or "displacement on demand" mode, see slip tables for 7th and 8th gear on the right in the screenshot). Therefore, the shudder is initially more pronounced in 4-cylinder mode, then as the clutches wear, it slowly appears and worsens in normal mode as well (see slip tables for 7th and 8th gear on the left).

My 2 cents' is that your goal should be to get the latest flush this week, then drive the car often and as much as you can, just as Paul_S suggested, to make sure that if you have torque converter damage, it becomes apparent sooner than later.

Should this happen, your goal is to get a new torque converter from GM via the dealer. That, plus the new fluid (part number 19417577), can reasonably be expected to fix this issue once and for all.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #317
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
That's just how it begins.

My theory, based on research and input from others here who have significant in-depth knowledge, is that your factory transmission tune (see some of it in the screenshot below) allows much more torque converter clutch slip under low, but nonzero engine load with AFM enabled ("DoD" or "displacement on demand" mode, see slip tables for 7th and 8th gear on the right in the screenshot). Therefore, the shudder is initially more pronounced in 4-cylinder mode, then as the clutches wear, it slowly appears and worsens in normal mode as well (see slip tables for 7th and 8th gear on the left).

My 2 cents' is that your goal should be to get the latest flush this week, then drive the car often and as much as you can, just as Paul_S suggested, to make sure that if you have torque converter damage, it becomes apparent sooner than later.

Should this happen, your goal is to get a new torque converter from GM via the dealer. That, plus the new fluid (part number 19417577), can reasonably be expected to fix this issue once and for all.
Thanks for posting.

I’ve been keeping an eye on this thread & paying close attention to whether or not my car exhibits any of the symptoms. Up to about 19K miles I didn’t detect it. Even took it on a 1K mike round trip from Northern WI to Indiana back in September & did not notice it. Then in November, about 200 miles after the trip I noticed some slight RPM fluctuations when AFM activated. Then winter came with a vengeance & the car will not see a road until mid-April.

If the new TSB calls for a fluid replacement without diagnosis I just may have it done right away this spring to prevent any damage to the TC.

I’m in a predicament as I still have over a year left of the GM 3/36 B2B & the dealer I purchased it from gives a lifetime power train warranty, but I’m getting the itch to start modifying it.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #318
OzzieSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
If the new TSB calls for a fluid replacement without diagnosis I just may have it done right away this spring to prevent any damage to the TC.
I just bought my 1SS last week. I noticed the shuddering issue on my way home from the dealership. I called the service department the next day and I told them my car's symptoms. The service advisor knew exactly what I was talking about and he scheduled to have my tranny flushed w/o asking me to bring the car in for any diagnosis tests.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #319
Jaystroh

Drives: Camaro RS 2LT
Hi, question for ya. Did they do the flush first and make you wait till it happened again to replace the torque converter? That’s what they say they have to do for me and I know they should just do both at the same time and be done with it.
Jaystroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:21 PM   #320
Spdemon2ss

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2ss
New to the Camaro fam so first off let me say, my 17 2SS is my new baby. The bad news tough, I’ve had the car for almost 4 months now, took it into service at about 7k miles because it felt as though the entire car was rumbling when cruising at 65mph +. First time I took it in the did a fluid flush still no fix. Went back at about 7200 miles (as per service tech has to be driven 200 miles for fluids to settle in) and they had me road test the vehicle with the tech connected with his laptop while I drove. Tech said he felt it but did not see anything weird in the readings, everything seemed normal to him. Tech submitted paper work to GM, I started a claim with them and informed them its a known problem with GM A8 transmissions (as if they don’t already know this) and I got a phone call 2 days later saying they were going to put in a new torque converter. Picked up the car, tech says they put in a new torque converter and used new fluid to flush 3 times. I drove off the lot, got on the highway and it was apparent it was NOT gone. Called service center and they said I have to let the fluids settle in blah blah blah need to drive it for another 200miles or so....I’m 100miles in and it’s still not gone. Now it seems as if it’s more apparent but in lower speed, anything higher then 55mph and in 8th gear and it’s vibrating even more, it almost feels as if it’s coming from the pedal as well not just the whole car. Shifts are smoother, not harsh at all but the damn rumbling hasn’t gone away.
Any suggestions? Will GM replace the entire transmission? I mean at this point I’m not even sure where to go...

Jaystroh, they have to fluid flush first and then if it happens again it’s a TC swap, that seems to be the order. A lot of people on this forum have had it fixed with just a fluid flush so sometimes it works other times it’s just a TC swap. I would definitely call in GM and file a claim, take note of the number and keep it on file so you can present it to the service manager at shop, if anything it lets them know that you mean business.
Spdemon2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #321
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdemon2ss View Post
New to the Camaro fam so first off let me say, my 17 2SS is my new baby. The bad news tough, I’ve had the car for almost 4 months now, took it into service at about 7k miles because it felt as though the entire car was rumbling when cruising at 65mph +. First time I took it in the did a fluid flush still no fix. Went back at about 7200 miles (as per service tech has to be driven 200 miles for fluids to settle in) and they had me road test the vehicle with the tech connected with his laptop while I drove. Tech said he felt it but did not see anything weird in the readings, everything seemed normal to him. Tech submitted paper work to GM, I started a claim with them and informed them its a known problem with GM A8 transmissions (as if they don’t already know this) and I got a phone call 2 days later saying they were going to put in a new torque converter. Picked up the car, tech says they put in a new torque converter and used new fluid to flush 3 times. I drove off the lot, got on the highway and it was apparent it was NOT gone. Called service center and they said I have to let the fluids settle in blah blah blah need to drive it for another 200miles or so....I’m 100miles in and it’s still not gone. Now it seems as if it’s more apparent but in lower speed, anything higher then 55mph and in 8th gear and it’s vibrating even more, it almost feels as if it’s coming from the pedal as well not just the whole car. Shifts are smoother, not harsh at all but the damn rumbling hasn’t gone away.
Any suggestions? Will GM replace the entire transmission? I mean at this point I’m not even sure where to go...

Jaystroh, they have to fluid flush first and then if it happens again it’s a TC swap, that seems to be the order. A lot of people on this forum have had it fixed with just a fluid flush so sometimes it works other times it’s just a TC swap. I would definitely call in GM and file a claim, take note of the number and keep it on file so you can present it to the service manager at shop, if anything it lets them know that you mean business.
When you describe the 3x fluid flush, you describe an older version of the TSB. Scroll back for the link to the latest one and look at that. It means changing to a new different fluid. See if they have done that.

EDIT: Here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/attac...2&d=1582795395
Old 03-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #322
Spdemon2ss

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2ss
Emoto thank you for the reply and also I'm gonna bring it into the shop again next week. Im gonna run another tank of gas, but at that point I'll be way over the 200miles so they cant have any excuses. I'll check with the tech to see what fluid he used but honestly its hard not to expect a lie here and there. If all else fails I might have to bring it into another Dealership, have another tech look into it.
Spdemon2ss is offline   Reply With Quote