Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #1
PhantomV8

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Exclamation Battery Type Question

Hey all!

So my car is at a local small town mechanic shop getting a few things worked on and the shop owner said that he thinks that the battery is bad. The car has had some issue with failing to start recently, so this doesnt surprise me.

The only batteries he has are Interstate batteries. I asked if he had any AGM batteries, but he hadn't heard of AGM before.

Can my local mechanic put in an Interstate branded battery into the car to replace the AGM battery that I have? Or do I need to use an AGM?
PhantomV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I think because the battery is in the trunk it has to be vented type. But I’m really not 100% on that. Hopefully someone here knows more.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomV8 View Post
Hey all!

So my car is at a local small town mechanic shop getting a few things worked on and the shop owner said that he thinks that the battery is bad. The car has had some issue with failing to start recently, so this doesnt surprise me.

The only batteries he has are Interstate batteries. I asked if he had any AGM batteries, but he hadn't heard of AGM before.

Can my local mechanic put in an Interstate branded battery into the car to replace the AGM battery that I have? Or do I need to use an AGM?
Sounds like your mechanic is lazy, useless and possibly the worst Interstate battery dealer in the US.

Took me about 15 seconds on Interstate's website to find their AGM battery for a '16 Camaro SS. It's a group 48 AGM. Use any brand you want.

Interstate AGM:
Best - 48 month warranty Part number MTZ-48H6
Cheaper - 36 month warranty Part number MTX-48H6

Geesh… that guy is a mechanic, Interstate dealer... and doesn't know what an AGM battery is? I'd really be looking for a better shop. That is clueless.

Heck, even if for whatever reason he doesn't carry Interstate's line of AGMs, lift a finger and call in one from any number of auto parts stores that deliver to shops. Oreillys delivers to my house for free.

Yes, stick with AGM. The original is an ACDelco 48AGM.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:32 AM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Sounds like your mechanic is lazy, useless and possibly the worst Interstate battery dealer in the US.

Took me about 15 seconds on Interstate's website to find their AGM battery for a '16 Camaro SS. It's a group 48 AGM. Use any brand you want.

Interstate AGM:
Best - 48 month warranty Part number MTZ-48H6
Cheaper - 36 month warranty Part number MTX-48H6

Geesh… that guy is a mechanic, Interstate dealer... and doesn't know what an AGM battery is? I'd really be looking for a better shop. That is clueless.

Heck, even if for whatever reason he doesn't carry Interstate's line of AGMs, lift a finger and call in one from any number of auto parts stores that deliver to shops. Oreillys delivers to my house for free.

Yes, stick with AGM. The original is an ACDelco 48AGM.
well put. thanks for typing all that so I didn't have to.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:33 AM   #5
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
I asked if he had any AGM batteries, but he hadn't heard of AGM before.
Russell above may be being a little bit hard on your mechanic, but he has a point. AGM batteries have been around a while, and they do have different charging requirements that any mechanic should be aware of.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #6
Sweptwing

Drives: 2017 2LT RS V6 M/T
Quote:
Hey all!

+1 for keeping an AGM battery!

Here’s a link with info from Interstate.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...s-the-big-deal
Old 07-21-2020, 02:43 PM   #7
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Someone needs to seek out a mechanic that's continued his education beyond the Flintstones years....
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
beyond the Flintstones years...
The Rubbstone Special was my first dream car!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:31 PM   #9
contax

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL-1 (A10) / 17 Charger
I replaced my 2017's battery with an Optima AGM battery. I picked this up from their website.
contax is offline   Reply With Quote