Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-17-2020, 02:22 AM   #1
thomasgatlin

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT RS
Muffler Delete = loss of torque? Myth or fact

Hey guys I have been doing a lot of research into a muffler delete for my 2017 Camaro RS, and have seen many things about a loss of back pressure which takes some of your low-end torque away. Can anybody clarify this for me? I am planning on deleting JUST my muffler and keeping my resonator and cats. Will I lose any torque, throttle response, etc?

*CONCLUSION*
Hey guys I went ahead and did the delete, and it sounds great! I also have noticed my acceleration is a bit quicker and I feel like I have MORE power. I also have ZERO DRONE. So if anybody is iffy about a delete, do it. You won't be disappointed. If anybody wants to hear what it sounds like or have any questions let me know.

Last edited by thomasgatlin; 09-20-2020 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Clarification
thomasgatlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:22 AM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I seriously doubt it.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasgatlin View Post
Hey guys I have been doing a lot of research into a muffler delete for my 2017 Camaro RS, and have seen many things about a loss of back pressure which takes some of your low-end torque away. Can anybody clarify this for me? I am planning on deleting JUST my muffler and keeping my resonator and cats. Will I lose any torque, throttle response, etc?
The whole back pressure thing is a complete myth. That aside, you have primary and secondary cats the exhaust has to go through long before it gets to the muffler. You have nothing to worry about.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
chaospiece

Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
Myth. Must be a V6 community thing because Ive heard other v6 car people talk about this.

In all occasions those who as access to a dyno proved no loss in anything.
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:16 AM   #5
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
I THINK the back pressure theory is a confusion of a loss of exhaust velocity and scavenging. Most of the time this has happened, it isn't the loss of restriction that causes a loss of torque. The pipe diameter is increased, which increases volume in the exhaust pipe but reduces velocity. The air slowing down at low engine speeds could reduce low speed torque but that increased volume may also lend itself to more top end horsepower due to the increased volume of the pipe. BUT, this is all about combination. Matching your exhaust to your engines needs is the best route to go.

But no, as already mentioned, the cats are far more of a restriction than the muffler. Backpressue isn't good but air velocity/volume in accordance with your engines needs are.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:41 AM   #6
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcvt View Post
I THINK the back pressure theory is a confusion of a loss of exhaust velocity and scavenging. Most of the time this has happened, it isn't the loss of restriction that causes a loss of torque. The pipe diameter is increased, which increases volume in the exhaust pipe but reduces velocity. The air slowing down at low engine speeds could reduce low speed torque but that increased volume may also lend itself to more top end horsepower due to the increased volume of the pipe. BUT, this is all about combination. Matching your exhaust to your engines needs is the best route to go.

But no, as already mentioned, the cats are far more of a restriction than the muffler. Backpressue isn't good but air velocity/volume in accordance with your engines needs are.
+1.

I've seen losses on dynos with new, bigger exhausts put on stock motors where it was intended for modded/higher rpm use. The reason is less scavenging at lower rpms due to lower velocity and/or a different design that is intended to work ideally at higher rpms.

Simply removing a muffler shouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #7
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
You’d not lose enough to notice anything. But if you are talking about replacing the muffler with a straight pipe, please don’t. Your Camaro deserves better. Straight pipe muffler deletes sound like pure and complete ass. Plenty of better options.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #8
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasgatlin View Post
No, and you car will sound like utter shite with the straight pipes. Sorry but there are cheap options for replacing the stock suitcase muffler.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:31 AM   #9
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Here is a video explaining this whole myth.
https://youtu.be/jjPeP_Nn2B4
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:21 PM   #10
thomasgatlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcvt View Post

So by using the same stock piping minus the muffler, would the velocity be close to the same?
Old 09-17-2020, 08:22 PM   #11
DD goat

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue Camaro 2SS
I think the back pressure deal applies to 2 stroke engines like a dirt bike. Not so much 4 strokes like a car engine.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:23 PM   #12
thomasgatlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
No, and you car will sound like utter shite with the straight pipes. Sorry but there are cheap options for replacing the stock suitcase muffler.
What would be your suggestion? I don't really want to spend upwards of $400-$700 on a borla or mrt exhaust which imo doesn't really make that much of a sound difference to warrant the cost. I can always have the muffler welded back on as well. Just wanted to try it out
Old 09-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #13
thomasgatlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
You’d not lose enough to notice anything. But if you are talking about replacing the muffler with a straight pipe, please don’t. Your Camaro deserves better. Straight pipe muffler deletes sound like pure and complete ass. Plenty of better options.
Got any suggestions? I'm all ears
Old 09-17-2020, 08:53 PM   #14
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD goat View Post
I think the back pressure deal applies to 2 stroke engines like a dirt bike. Not so much 4 strokes like a car engine.
I would love to hear more about this.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, muffler delete, torque loss