Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
JWJB

Drives: 2018 Camaro
CEL with Catted Downpipe?

I posted this in the Facebook group, but was hoping someone here might be able to help. Last week I installed the ZZP CAI and ZZP Downpipe and ended up getting a CEL with code P0420. I contacted ZZP, and they suggested I get the O2 Bung Extender. I installed that, and the light went away... for one day before coming back on again. I've been told my options are to get a tune or install the old parts, but is there something else I could do? Did anybody else have this issue? I have over a year left on my factory warranty, so I'm trying to avoid tuning if possible for now. Is there another company whose parts might be a better option? My Camaro is 2018 Automatic if that makes any difference. Thanks!
JWJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJB View Post
I posted this in the Facebook group, but was hoping someone here might be able to help. Last week I installed the ZZP CAI and ZZP Downpipe and ended up getting a CEL with code P0420. I contacted ZZP, and they suggested I get the O2 Bung Extender. I installed that, and the light went away... for one day before coming back on again. I've been told my options are to get a tune or install the old parts, but is there something else I could do? Did anybody else have this issue? I have over a year left on my factory warranty, so I'm trying to avoid tuning if possible for now. Is there another company whose parts might be a better option? My Camaro is 2018 Automatic if that makes any difference. Thanks!
Unless installed incorrectly, it's the CAI causing it the Catted DP shouldn't have any issues.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
If it's the DP, it's one of three things, IMO:

1. Damaged or incorrectly installed sensor
2. A sizable exhaust leak
3. A bad cat (least likely)

Double check your sensor connections. Double check that you installed the downpipe properly with the provided gaskets. Very easy to misplace the gasket that connects to the turbo, as it isn't supported by bolts like the one after the cat.

I cant speak to the CAI, personally.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:01 AM   #4
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

I believe some people had issues with the ZZP CAI but check the DP install.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 11-12-2019, 06:16 AM   #5
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
p101,102, 103 are the cai. P0420 is the cat. it is unusual because the code is usually the opposite, cai coding.. even with my flow through -all 3 inch pipe -i've never seen a problem.

zts is on the right track imo.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
JWJB

Drives: 2018 Camaro
I might take it to a muffler shop and see if they can pinpoint the issue. I feel like everything was installed well, and all the bolts seem tight. The car only has 17,000 miles, so surely the sensors aren't failing? Is it possible for anything to be too tight? I noticed aFe sold a catted downpipe, does anyone know anything about it? Sorry for all of the questions, I just recently started modding so this is all new to me.
JWJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yup same thing used to happen on my cobalt but mine was catless lol all you can do is tune it out or just clear it out everytime it pops up
Old 11-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
wookwook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJB View Post
I might take it to a muffler shop and see if they can pinpoint the issue. I feel like everything was installed well, and all the bolts seem tight. The car only has 17,000 miles, so surely the sensors aren't failing? Is it possible for anything to be too tight? I noticed aFe sold a catted downpipe, does anyone know anything about it? Sorry for all of the questions, I just recently started modding so this is all new to me.

I don't think losing faith in the zzp Catted DP is really the answer. Just go through the troubleshooting steps, even though its a PIA. You will be happy when you found the problem. Just bring an extra sensor to test. order extra set of gaskets. Low risk hi reward. Don't fondle the new sensor.

if it still fails bring your case to zzp and get them to swap ship a new one. (what aFe $400 difference?)

It's all a part of modding. Expect to double your estimate on everything and double the aggravation, and that's modding. Its addicting.....

let us know what happens!
Old 11-12-2019, 01:12 PM   #9
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
I don't think losing faith in the zzp Catted DP is really the answer. Just go through the troubleshooting steps, even though its a PIA. You will be happy when you found the problem. Just bring an extra sensor to test. order extra set of gaskets. Low risk hi reward. Don't fondle the new sensor.

if it still fails bring your case to zzp and get them to swap ship a new one. (what aFe $400 difference?)

It's all a part of modding. Expect to double your estimate on everything and double the aggravation, and that's modding. Its addicting.....

let us know what happens!
^ This, I have my grievances with ZZP over QC but they always make it right just reach out to ZZSteve. Did you install the DP yourself or have a franchise or trusted mechanic do it? May want to check it yourself when they put it on the lift see if they have the Transmission line hitting the 02 sensor.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #10
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
You never know with these cars. No 2 are alike. Disable the code if you have the means to do it.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #11
wookwook

it really helps if people read the thread. that's the problem with helicopter posting.

hes on the right track and the auto cable thing is possibly an issue. let him sort it out.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:34 PM   #12
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
You never know with these cars. No 2 are alike. Disable the code if you have the means to do it.
So true it may be a one time code that just needs to be cleared.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:48 PM   #13
wookwook

yep.