Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-22-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
Corsa Exhaust Update

Just spoke to Corsa today and they indicated that their "Double X Pipe"/Mid -Section should be out in a month or two.

Their cat-back system will delete the secondary CATS/resonators like the similar Borla system but will not retain the NPP valves.

Interesting item: the tech indicated that the smashed section of our OEM exhaust actually accelerates and increases flow! I would have thought that it would be a bottleneck.

Also, Corsa feels that going larger than 2.75" could be counterproductive due to loss of velocity, etc.

Still not sure I will do anything, but interesting information nonetheless. $1,500--$2,100 plus install and possible headaches (leaks, warranty, etc.) for just some increased sound may not be worth it. Basically, same as the Air Intakes which appear to have inclusive results in terms of added power.
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
This is good news. I had a Corsa Catback on my 13 1LE. Fit really well. Different sounding than other exhausts, and no drone. As far as midpipe goes, I guess it will be very similar to the Borla midpipe since it fits with the Corsa axleback too..

Sorry Slightly OFF TOPIC: Crushed pipe does accelerate the velocity of the exhaust due to Q = VA.. Where Q is the flow, V is velocity, and A is area. If you keep Q relatively the same and the area is cut by 50%, then the Velocity must double to maintain a constant Q or flow rate.

His statement is partially true. The crush pipe does not increase flow, but does accelerate the air velocity. Accelerate by definition means to change velocity. You can have negative acceleration (aka deceleration) or Positive acceleration which is what occurs in the crushed section.

That explains why he is a TECH, and NOT an Engineer.

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /

Last edited by 1LE Red Dragon; 06-22-2018 at 02:54 PM.
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
shawndean22

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
hopefully they will make an active exhaust, if so i will buy it right away. had a corsa exhaust on my mustang loved it, but cold start brutal..
shawndean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Now if they can make one with the NPP, they can take my money right away. They did one for the new Mustang, so I don't know why they wouldn't do a Camaro version.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #5
Stealth7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE Red Dragon View Post
This is good news. I had a Corsa Catback on my 13 1LE. Fit really well. Different sounding than other exhausts, and no drone. As far as midpipe goes, I guess it will be very similar to the Borla midpipe since it fits with the Corsa axleback too..

Sorry Slightly OFF TOPIC: Crushed pipe does accelerate the velocity of the exhaust due to Q = VA.. Where Q is the flow, V is velocity, and A is area. If you keep Q relatively the same and the area is cut by 50%, then the Velocity must double to maintain a constant Q or flow rate.

His statement is partially true. The crush pipe does not increase flow, but does accelerate the air velocity. Accelerate by definition means to change velocity. You can have negative acceleration (aka deceleration) or Positive acceleration which is what occurs in the crushed section.

That explains why he is a TECH, and NOT an Engineer.
Understand your position, but this is NOT what Corsa said. BTW, I do not know if he was an Engineer (he may be); he is involved in the process of developing the product and was very professional and courteous. When the Corsa website indicates that its axle-back mufflers increase flow by 4% over stock, this tends to indicate that stock mufflers flow relatively well. I will wait and see how all shakes out.

It is nice to see Corsa developing additional products for our vehicles.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:44 PM   #6
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I'm going to be slightly jealous of those who run the full Corsa Cat-back. I'm running a Corsa 14784 Axle Back and Borla 60606 X Pipe and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it except I know the X Pipe is made by a different manufacturer than the mufflers (Yes I'm OCD). Their double helix obsession is a bit confusing though. On the Z06 side of things, their "Double helix X Pipe" makes less power than the single X Borla (This is for Z06s) but it sounds a little smoother and less barky.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:20 AM   #7
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
Just spoke to Corsa today and they indicated that their "Double X Pipe"/Mid -Section should be out in a month or two.

Their cat-back system will delete the secondary CATS/resonators like the similar Borla system but will not retain the NPP valves.

Interesting item: the tech indicated that the smashed section of our OEM exhaust actually accelerates and increases flow! I would have thought that it would be a bottleneck.

Also, Corsa feels that going larger than 2.75" could be counterproductive due to loss of velocity, etc.

Still not sure I will do anything, but interesting information nonetheless. $1,500--$2,100 plus install and possible headaches (leaks, warranty, etc.) for just some increased sound may not be worth it. Basically, same as the Air Intakes which appear to have inclusive results in terms of added power.
Just need to find a competent installer. GM used the convertible exhaust on the coupe for expense purposes. I know it does not seem like a lot to change pipes between Coupe and convertibles. Apparently it does

That engineer needs to be drug tested every hour on the hour. That pinch was not put there for that reason. Have you seen a convertible ZL1? The convertible was designed before the coupe. I highly doubt they tested the Stock system to make that determination? Every modification I have done there has been a noticeable improvement. Rotofab.TM Throttlebody & Borla exhaust.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:15 AM   #8
Rlhay2

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:

$1,500--$2,100 plus install and possible headaches (leaks, warranty, etc.)

Maybe I misunderstood. But...two x-pipes and some connecting pipes now cost upwards of $1500?!?!
Rlhay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:08 AM   #9
Stealth7

My conversation with corsa had nothing to do with convertibles and I confirmed to him I had a coupe. He said what he said and may know more about the flow characteristics of the OEM system and the upcoming Corsa products than you. Corsa feels that their mid/X-pipe will offer additional flow and slight power gains in excess of just their mufflers. Please feel free to contact corsa directly.

As to cost, just the axle-back mufflers are $1200-$1400 depending on where and when you purchase. The x-pipe will be extra $$$, just like Borla.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #10
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
My conversation with corsa had nothing to do with convertibles and I confirmed to him I had a coupe. He said what he said and may know more about the flow characteristics of the OEM system and the upcoming Corsa products than you. Corsa feels that their mid/X-pipe will offer additional flow and slight power gains in excess of just their mufflers. Please feel free to contact corsa directly.

As to cost, just the axle-back mufflers are $1200-$1400 depending on where and when you purchase. The x-pipe will be extra $$$, just like Borla.
The convertible Camaro was R/D before the Coupe. The pinch area was required For the convertible brace. The coupe does not have any clearance issues like the Convertible has.

Last edited by hashtag; 06-23-2018 at 05:58 PM.
hashtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #11
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
I paid $550 for the Corsa X on my C7Z hopefully it will be priced similar.
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote